Tamb Running Thread - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have not read this you should...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pure-White-And-Deadly-killing/dp/0241965284/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1411656832&sr=8-1&keywords=john+yudkin

Then read this...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trick-Treat-Healthy-Eating-Making/dp/1905140223/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1411656879&sr=8-4&keywords=barry+groves

You should be able to reverse Type II diabetes with just a change in diet.

Absolutely zero sugar or any food to which it is added and then restrict your other carbohydrate intake.

Not read any of those but according to the nurse at my last review I am at the 'reversed' stage.

Not read any of those but according to the nurse at my last review I am at the 'reversed' stage.

Aye you have done very well. I would still recommend reading them. They explain why there is an obesity / metabolic syndrome epidemic going on. I would highly recommend them to anyone suffering from weight problems, diabetes or high blood sugar, insulin resistance, high blood pressure etc.

Another guy worth reading Cove is this fella (John Lustig) but he is a bit more academic and sugar focussed... he really has a big issue with fructose in particular.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/dietandfitness/10634081/John-Yudkin-the-man-who-tried-to-warn-us-about-sugar.html

To paraphrase all of them big time... we are not evolved to be eating these high levels of carbs (and in particular sugar which is much more like a drug than a food). We have all been sold very bad nutritional advice. These guys are worth a read if you are suffering from any health problems, I was going to start a thread but I can't be arsed with the grief. I am not going to argue the toss on this as I have tried it for myself and been amazed, you can take it or leave it but if you are suffering any of the above symptoms, try this...it works.

This is an epidemic.

Find out why and it easy to cure.

“Third of adults in England” have pre-diabetes

http://www.diabetes.org.uk/About_us/News/Third-of-adults-have-prediabetes/

I've got the Clyde Stride Ultra this weekend. 40 miles from Partick to New Lanark.

Drop bags prepared, kit next to get ready. Only my 2nd ultra so still feels like a step into the unknown and I'm certainly packing too much into the drop bags.

Looking forward to the 2nd half as its mostly off road but the first half is along the river walkway so solid tarmac for the first 15 miles or so which could knacker my legs if I go off too fast!

Anyone else doing it?

Would never do an ultra but tomorrow I certainly have the toughest challenge that I have ever taken on. Competing in my first Ironman here in Mallorca. Currently getting all my transition bags ready and paranoid about forgetting something ( like running shoes)

Going down to the beach for the briefing in a couple of hours and hopefully then we will hear if the swim is to be wetsuit legal ( the water temperature needs to be below 24.5c and I understand that is was around 25c yesterday). Wearing a wetsuit would be preferable as I am not a strong swimmer and I will need all the buoyancy I can get for the 2.4 mile sea swim

The cycle looks ok with one major hill will 600m of climbing but I have trained for this and did a lot worse in La Marmotte in the Alps in July......saying that I collapsed in a heap after reaching the summit of Alpe D'Huez ( the finish line). Tomorrow I have a full marathon to run. I have only really been running a few weeks after an enforced break of 8 years ( in that time had major back surgery - inserted metal discs) and a knee operation after which I was told I would never run again - I believe all my cycling has cured that) run training has been surprisingly ok as I have lost weight and built up my endurance with cycling...did a couple of 16 milers and a 19 miler. With the best will in the world I will have to walk parts tomorrow but that is normal for the majority doing ironman.

My main concern is the heat,,,,forecast is for 27c and that is hotter than I have ran in for years...let alone running a marathon after a long swim and 112 mile cycle.. Come to think of it I don't think I have even been in 27c this year.

For those interested I may write up a review of my experience ( might be from a hospital bed)

I dipped in and out of this thread for a long time and there are great stories of people bettering their health and lives through running....very inspirational. For a while I was extremely jealous of even the slowest of those park runners as I didn't think I could run at all...it's great to be back

Edited by caledonian1

I've got the Clyde Stride Ultra this weekend. 40 miles from Partick to New Lanark.

Drop bags prepared, kit next to get ready. Only my 2nd ultra so still feels like a step into the unknown and I'm certainly packing too much into the drop bags.

Looking forward to the 2nd half as its mostly off road but the first half is along the river walkway so solid tarmac for the first 15 miles or so which could knacker my legs if I go off too fast!

Anyone else doing it?

Nah, just a measly 26.2 on Sunday at Loch Ness.

nutter that you are! good luck.

Well I did say I would come back with a race report from Ironman Mallorca

Unfortunately it turned out to be a bit of a disaster for me. I had trained really well....had done a few 4km open water swims, did 15 century rides since April ( including La Marmotte -5200m climbing in Alps and snow roads - a 301km addax over all the hills that block first with snow in Scotland) and although didn't start running til more recently I did a couple of 16 milers and a 19 mile run that felt fine

The swim yesterday was officially non wetsuit legal as the sea temp was 25.1c and the rules state no wet suits above 24.5c. No huge concern but I did think that would add a few minutes to my time. The swim actually went quite well....the usual washing machine start with arms and legs everywhere from 2600 swimmers. Then around the 3km stage I got stung by a jelly fish - a sharp pain on chest and then a few minutes later I vomited in the sea without warning. I was sick a couple of more times in the water but was able to carry on to transition.

Got on my bike and just couldn't believe it when I was getting passed by more people than overtaking as I expected to make up time on the bike. I kept looking apt my computer and thinking that I should have been going at around 20mph I was only doing 14/15 mph. I vomited a couple of more times and just had no energy at all. I got to the first feed station at 30km and felt awful.....I did ask for a medic ( I had no idea how jelly fish stings affected you) but there wasn't one around.) I carried on but got slower and slower and could barely keep my head up. Then at the next feed station after 65km the volunteers called on an ambulance and I was eventually taken back to Alcudia and had to withdraw. Absolutely devastated but could see no other option.....with another 120km on the bike then a marathon it would have been impossible...so spent rest of day in bad. Only just eaten after nothing for 24 hours and feeling a lot better

This has made me more determined than ever to become an ironman. I even fleetingly wondered if I could enter Barcelona which is the last event in Europe this year but it is next weekend and logistically a problem looks like I will have to wait til 2015 but look forward to getting leaner and fitter for then...and will choose a venue where wetsuits are allowed ( virtually all events)

Just not my day but I will do this.......

Just ran a 10k race this morning and my watch packed up after 3km. I ended up running my quickest ever time by 2 minutes, and maybe because i couldnt see how fast I was running I couldn't start telling myself to slow down. That's it, the watch goes in the bin!

completed the Loch Ness Marathon today, was in bed with a bug the wee lass brought home from school so delighted to complete it

took 5 hours and 15 which is way slower than i was hoping but then it was pretty hilly

best moment of the day apart from finishing was the piper on the banks of loch ness halfway round playing highland cathedral, brought a tear to my eye.

still time to donate to the sunshine appeal in my link below :wink2:

Indeed I am. I know I should be fine, although I really can't believe I've reached this day.

Got a bit of a boost the other day when I reached my long-term weight goal of 89kg that I set when I was diagnosed diabetic at the start of last year and was 136kg.

Also doing the Great Scottish Run in Glasgow next month.

what weight were you when you worked at Baker ? 47kg is a lot to lose - impressive