Tamb Running Thread - Page 5 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Great stuff College Boy. Despite three marathons done so far, I still don't fancy an ultra - I maintain you and your ilk are mental, but good on you.

I used to run lots of halfs and 10K's but never fancied a full marathon. I just didn't fancy all the road training.

But the 2 ultras I've done were mostly off road so thats where I try and do most of my long training runs (20-30m), which is far more enjoyable and scenic.

I've still not done, and don't intend doing, a 'proper' marathon!

On-line entries for the Highland Fling Race 2015 (53m from Milngavie to Tyndrum) open on Sunday 12th October, 21:00 - only the 850 places up for grabs!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to run lots of halfs and 10K's but never fancied a full marathon. I just didn't fancy all the road training.

But the 2 ultras I've done were mostly off road so thats where I try and do most of my long training runs (20-30m), which is far more enjoyable and scenic.

I've still not done, and don't intend doing, a 'proper' marathon!

On-line entries for the Highland Fling Race 2015 (53m from Milngavie to Tyndrum) open on Sunday 12th October, 21:00 - only the 850 places up for grabs!

HOKA is now the No.1 ultra in the UK. I know a few folk who ran it last year, they loved it. I'm hoping to do the relay race, postal entries for that, drawn out of hat. John Duncan who organises the HOKA won the Glenmore 24 a few weeks ago, 131miles in 24hrs.

Edited by Jon Cutler

HOKA is now the No.1 ultra in the UK. I know a few folk who ran it last year, they loved it. I'm hoping to do the relay race, postal entries for that, drawn out of hat. John Duncan who organises the HOKA won the Glenmore 24 a few weeks ago, 131miles in 24hrs.

Even I’ll admit that’s lunacy. 131miles in 24h is about 5.5mph, probably a lot quicker taking into account any stops!

It’s also on a 4m course so nearly 33 laps – must have been one dizzy lad by the end!

Anyone here get a place in the London ballot for next year? I got rejected.

Considering Edinburgh, which will take place on the day I turn 32.

Wife and I both rejected.

I did London this year and it is amazing so I would strongly recommend you apply again next year.

Done Edinburgh a few times. Some aspects of it are really good, but the organisation lets it down a bit in my opinion. That and the fact 3/4s of it aren't in Edinburgh. Very convenient though.

Looking at a few other options now that missed out on London. Barcelona and Manchester.

Pal of mine has been rejected for London several times now. I recommend Reykjavik in August - no hassle to get on, cheap to get to if you book early enough, and you are doing your training in summer, rather than winter.

When do entries open up?

yeah got in 3rd time lucky :yikes3:

away to do Amsterdam marathon in 2 weeks time :shocked:

Good luck!

I've ended up biting the bullet and entering Edinburgh.

I've ended up biting the bullet and entering Edinburgh.

Fair play, good luck to you. Edinburgh 2013 was my first marathon, I had the primary goal of just finishing it, a time under 5 hours was the next goal so 4:41:37 was absolutely fine with me. Word of advice, dont book a bus back to Edinburgh through emf though, its over a mile from the finish line and a little bit uphill, plus you can jump on a cheaper one from near the racecourse afterwards.

I went for Belfast for my spring time one this year and much preferred it in fairness, more city-central and very few hairpins if any. Next spring ive gone for Prague as i remembered about the London ballot just after it closed.

A week on Sunday its the Yorkshire marathon, hopefully ill be recovered enough from loch ness to get a decent time.

Can anyone help me regarding the Great Scottish Run in Glasgow at the weekend, as info on their website seems pretty sparse!

The website says that the "white wave" starts at 11am, the "green wave" at 11:10 and the "pink wave" at 11:20. Presumably these are 'pens' in which you are held before the race starts and depends upon the predicted finishing time you put down when you entered. But my number is black - and cant see anyway of finding whether I'm in the white/green/pink wave.

Also are there changing and shower facilities at the end for the runners?

I could be looking in the wrong areas, but info on the website is pretty poor in my opinion