Tamb Running Thread - Page 21 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

I got the same advice. Why the heck didn't they tell me it was my particular Garmin model???? I asked why no one else I knew had this issue and they didn't bother to answer.

Did you also get some nice emails from 'Rudolf' at Strava telling you to 'have a nice day'? There were 2 of us in my running club who had the same issue and we have both upgraded. New one is much better - quicker signal, better connector (not that you need it as use Bluetooth), can be programmed for intervals (not tried yet as only just got it) and doesn't incorrectly make out that I am running 18 minute parkruns! Just need to decide what to do with the old one. Quite liked it as a watch and wore all the time…going for about £50 on eBay.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got the 110 and no idea what Strava is :confused:

Also, since I had a go at Garmin on Facebook about never getting signal I've been getting it straight away.

Definite conspiracy.

Strava is a social network which I think started for cycling, but now also includes running and other stuff if you like. As far as I can see the main advantage is that if you are into running (or cycling) you can see there what your friends (or even some pros like Steve Way) are doing. The main advantage for all your friends who are not into running or cycling is that their Facebook feed is less clogged with people telling them who far/fast they ran/cycled! The Garmin site has similar functionality but I don't know of anyone who uses it.

There seems to be a glitch with Garmin FR110 and Strava, as Lamia and I have discovered, which disregards part of your running time when it thinks you're not moving, even if you have never stopped, so you end up looking much better than you are!

Did you also get some nice emails from 'Rudolf' at Strava telling you to 'have a nice day'? There were 2 of us in my running club who had the same issue and we have both upgraded. New one is much better - quicker signal, better connector (not that you need it as use Bluetooth), can be programmed for intervals (not tried yet as only just got it) and doesn't incorrectly make out that I am running 18 minute parkruns! Just need to decide what to do with the old one. Quite liked it as a watch and wore all the time…going for about £50 on eBay.

I've been having problems trying to download some workouts I've created on Garmin Connect to my 220.

Don't really see how this is going to help get a time in the low 20's for a parkrun. Obviously there is an incline but the best pace you will hit will be 5min/km.

Parklife - before you come back and say I guess 12% incline is pretty tough going. Should I ever have the misfortune to have to use a treadmill I will try something like this. Last time I did use one was for a sponsored run in my work and the treadmill only went up to 10km/hr. I was meant to run 10km and I did but God it was boring. I guess the ones in gyms are much better.

Anyway I've probably posted enough on this thread for now having waded through 34 pages. It's amazing how much reading you can fit in when your knee is too sore to run as far as you want to!

Anyone else daft enough to have signed up for the Meadows Marathon on 8 March? I've got a few runs lined up. Devilla 15k, National XC Champs, Meadows Marathon, Alloa Half, Great Edin Run, London Marathon, 7 Hills of Edin, FRB 10k carried over as cancelled last year…. Oops!

I've been having problems trying to download some workouts I've created on Garmin Connect to my 220.

Oh dear, that will be my next issue. All I will want to do is basically set it to beep/vibrate every so many minutes/seconds rather than every km/mile. From what I read it SHOULD be capable of doing that. Fed up of running along doing club training watching the time tick up! Discovered this morning that there is a second screen of info while you are running if you press the up/down buttons which I liked.

Don't really see how this is going to help get a time in the low 20's for a parkrun. Obviously there is an incline but the best pace you will hit will be 5min/km.

Parkrun :lol:

Low 20's :lol:

I could run a 5k backwards in 20 minutes.

Parkrun :lol:

Low 20's :lol:

I could run a 5k backwards in 20 minutes.

My hero. I was referring to the times quoted by those others on the thread who seem to be around the 21/22min mark who you were advising.

Maybe you should run at the retro (backwards) running world champs. Guy in my club ran for Ireland in it last year and didn't look particularly fast. You've maybe found your calling.

My hero. I was referring to the times quoted by those others on the thread who seem to be around the 21/22min mark who you were advising.

Maybe you should run at the retro (backwards) running world champs. Guy in my club ran for Ireland in it last year and didn't look particularly fast. You've maybe found your calling.

Wasn't about being anyone's hero.

I told folk on here something that'd really helped my times, in the hope it'd help them. You dismissed it and said it'd be of no use to get a 5k in the low 20's. It's helped me get to a stage where I can do a 5k in less than 20 minutes quite comfortably.

As I said to someone else on this thread, I don't really care what other folk do. I just shared something that'd helped me.

Wasn't about being anyone's hero.

I told folk on here something that'd really helped my times, in the hope it'd help them. You dismissed it and said it'd be of no use to get a 5k in the low 20's. It's helped me get to a stage where I can do a 5k in less than 20 minutes quite comfortably.

As I said to someone else on this thread, I don't really care what other folk do. I just shared something that'd helped me.

No worries, I did dismiss it, then re-read it, considered the incline you mentioned and realised that I was probably wrong. Certainly interval training helps you get faster and I am sure that will also apply if you do it on a treadmill. You could also try running hard up a hill and resting on way back down then repeating.

Hill sprint drills are great for improving your form. I like to do them once or twice a week depending on what races I'm preparing for. Pick a steep hill and do 8 second sprints up and walk back down recovery. Try to concentrate on form like lifting your knees.

:lol: Yup good old Rudolph - "keep up the good work"

I am going to email him right now to tell him that the next time he gets this query not to go into all the nonsense about reckon algorithms and just tell the person it is an issue with this particular Garmin!! And to have a nice day and keep up the good work! ;)

The day I bought my 220 the charger for my 110 broke so think it was karma :lol:

I know you are a bit further north but have been very impressed with how grippy my first ever trail shoes have been on the frosty pavements and even when a bit icy. Adidas Kanadia although I am sure others will be every bit as good. In previous winters I would have just not run for the past month.

Edited by Deeklipse

I know you are a bit further north but have been very impressed with how grippy my first ever trail shoes have been on the frosty pavements and even when a bit icy. Adidas Kanadia although I am sure others will be every bit as good. In previous winters I would have just not run for the past month.

I had wondered if they would make a difference - it is a bit of a struggle at the moment but I am determined not to resort to the treadmill

I think it depends what level you're at. Doing planned workouts, whether that's intervals, progression runs, tempo runs, etc., are essential to getting better once you get to be running consistently. If you're only running about 20 miles a week or less, then you'll probably get more benefit by simply running more miles at an easy pace.

16 1/2 mile run this morning, out to Queensferry then back through Dalmeny Estate. Bit slippy early on ( we set out at 7.15) but great in the sunshine. Knackered now though.

Did you plan to do that much?

When I did 16.08 last Sunday, I'd only planned to do 10.

That, and my reps on a frozen football pitch on Thursday night have convinced me I've finally lost it.

Did you plan to do that much?

When I did 16.08 last Sunday, I'd only planned to do 10.

That, and my reps on a frozen football pitch on Thursday night have convinced me I've finally lost it.

A group of us were running 14 miles as part of our training for the Paris marathon. I built in a loop at the end as I felt pretty good.

A group of us were running 14 miles as part of our training for the Paris marathon. I built in a loop at the end as I felt pretty good.

It's always good when that happens.

My longer-runs for my Edinburgh preparations are generally going to be solo. Glad to have hit 16 miles so early, will just be gradually building that up over the next 2/3 months.