Tamb Running Thread - Page 17 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

I was the same as Cove Sheep, Dave - started with 5k and then stuck at that for a while then gradually worked my way up to 10k by increasing my distance by a km or two.

It helps if you've got a decent 10k route - i.e. one with some variation, such as streets, parks, uphill, downhill, etc. - rather than just doing your usual 5k route twice. 10k is a great distance and I'm now at the stage where I prefer it to 5k.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aye, although this month has been quite poor for opportunities due to a time consuming piece of work that's even eaten into my Xmas holidays. Have only been out twice in the last 4 weeks...

Have plans for a run before going back to work on Monday anyway and really want to up my game next year. Have got the Baker Hughes 10k lined up for May... you're onto marathons now though?

Parkrun tomorrow?

I've not registered for Baker Hughes as yet.

So far registered for:

2nd Jan - Lumphanan 10k

8th Mar - Inverness Half

25th Apr - Balmoral 10k

31st May - Edinburgh Marathon

Will most likely add at a minimum Baker Hughes and Glasgow half to that.

Possibly Crathes again too.

Am still not sure about Parkrun as I prefer to do 10ks at weekends when I have more time and leave the 5ks for lunchtimes at work through the week . The chance to do a decent time on a flat course (chasing after quicker runners) is a temptation though... might yet make it one weekend.

That's a decent schedule though - like you say, it keeps the motivation up.

I'd thought about the Great North Run as the next step up, although it does seem like a bit of a rammy:

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/great-north-run-2015-how-7736018

Hmmm, might enter the ballot for that.

There's a few from here (me, FE & Lamia) doing both Parkrun's tomorrow.

Hazelhead at 9:30am and Beach at 11am.

Have to keep the kids entertained tomorrow morning...

Looks like it could be OK tomorrow though - a chance of rain but fairly mild otherwise.

I started using that but a wee bit into it just decided to push on to 10k and not worry about the time just to see if I could manage it and then kind of work backwards from there really.

I was the same as Cove Sheep, Dave - started with 5k and then stuck at that for a while then gradually worked my way up to 10k by increasing my distance by a km or two.

It helps if you've got a decent 10k route - i.e. one with some variation, such as streets, parks, uphill, downhill, etc. - rather than just doing your usual 5k route twice. 10k is a great distance and I'm now at the stage where I prefer it to 5k.

Cheers for the advice. Will go for the 10k.

5k still exhausting me, but i will push on!

Really enjoyed the two parkruns today. I never thought I would enjoy 5k's as I thought they were too short but I now really like them a lot. I am actually thinking of doing the Balmoral 5K (if it isn't already full) instead of the 10K. I prefer 10k training runs rather than races now. Hated Baker Hughes and Balmoral last year although quite enjoyed the Beach Metro 10k which is a smaller run.

Really enjoyed the two parkruns today. I never thought I would enjoy 5k's as I thought they were too short but I now really like them a lot. I am actually thinking of doing the Balmoral 5K (if it isn't already full) instead of the 10K. I prefer 10k training runs rather than races now. Hated Baker Hughes and Balmoral last year although quite enjoyed the Beach Metro 10k which is a smaller run.

Have you done the River Ness 10k? You'd enjoy that.

Am still not sure about Parkrun as I prefer to do 10ks at weekends when I have more time and leave the 5ks for lunchtimes at work through the week . The chance to do a decent time on a flat course (chasing after quicker runners) is a temptation though... might yet make it one weekend.

That's a decent schedule though - like you say, it keeps the motivation up.

I'd thought about the Great North Run as the next step up, although it does seem like a bit of a rammy:

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/great-north-run-2015-how-7736018

I think I'll try getting a place in GNR this year, with the Vale of York Half on the same weekend as a fallback if I don't get a place.

Daily Mirror ballot for the first 3000 places in the Great North opens tomorrow by the way.

If there was a finishers medal it would have been perfect.

It's funny, I always look forward to the medals too. The half marathon I'm doing on the 18th doesn't give you a medal either, but you get a t-shirt - can't complain obviously as it's organised by a local running club. Got plenty other medal runs on the calendar this year anyway.

Looks like there was a record turnout at York today over the 400 mark they reckon (previously 394 was the record) and I'm pretty sure I got myself a new PB too :)

3 year anniversary run for the York event next week too, so likely the turnout will be even bigger then.

In other news, the GNR ballot page seems broken for me.