Tamb Running Thread - Page 26 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Nice one phart - I did a complete lifestyle overhaul last year as well. Lost three stone and got my BMI into the healthy range through a combination of low calories (low carbohydrate more than anything else), exercise (mainly running but also walking whenever I could) and giving up alcohol. Am now coming up to a year off the drink - will probably have a drink some time in the future but don't have any desire to revert to my previous lifestyle.

What helped me is realising that protein is very filling (no harm in upping your fish/ chicken intake), that fat in your diet is not bad for you and that once you break the carbohydrate addiction cycle the cravings should vanish. I also made batches of lentil soup every week or two which I often had instead of a big dinner in the evenings. Stick with it - it's worth the effort...

It's been easy for me , for years it was impossible then a switch clicks and my path is set. Was telling a friend a few weeks back it's like I was some tamagotchi stored in a cupboard for 8 years, and suddenly i've been found and the player starts to get me back into shape.

I'm not getting any cravings really, it's now as impossible for me to go back and eat sweets as it was for me to eat healthy a year ago.

Same with the fags , never tried to stop, one night just decided right done with that and that was the end of me smoking.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just done my first ever run during my lunch break! Get me.

Well done!!

I've no idea what size you are or level of fitness you have and what you want to achieve. I'll tell you about me though...

12/13 months I weighed around 14 stone and was pretty unfit. I played fives once a week, that was my only exercise. On the rare occasions I went a run my times were around 8:30mins/mile.

Today I weigh just over 11 stone, have around 9% body-fat and run 10km in 40 minutes.

Well done!!

I've no idea what size you are or level of fitness you have and what you want to achieve. I'll tell you about me though...

12/13 months I weighed around 14 stone and was pretty unfit. I played fives once a week, that was my only exercise. On the rare occasions I went a run my times were around 8:30mins/mile.

Today I weigh just over 11 stone, have around 9% body-fat and run 10km in 40 minutes.

40 mins for a 10K is my (longish term) goal. I'm 37, 5ft 8 and weigh 12.5 stone. I'm comfortably a stone overweight and it's all in my gut. I've dipped in and out of gyms many, many times before but I've never felt as motivated as this, albeit I'm only 2 weeks in.

I'm setting myself mini goals such as be down to 12 stone 3 by the time I go to New York, be under 12 stone for my mates party at the end of March. It's baby steps but I think it's a better way to do it than going big bang. That's four days in a row now I've been to gym and 7 in the last 12 where I've probably not done 7 in the 3 years before that!!

There's a Glasgow 10K in October so that's my goal to get my fitness levels up in the gym, then get out in the road and be able to put in a sub 50 minute for that. After that I'll probably win the London Marathon.

It's great to see so many people improving their times.

For example I'm now a mere 20 seconds off the World Record for the 100 metres...

When I was a teen with a bit of speed about me my record for the 100m was just over 12 seconds. I was always quite proud of that given the world record at the time was just under 10! It would now take me about 12 minutes!

This should be interesting

Hazlehead parkrun on Saturday 21st February

We have a very special parkrun planned for Hazlehead parkrun on Saturday 21st February. Our parkrun record holder Myles Edwards is organising a dinner on Saturday night for his charity, the Gathimba Edwards Foundation.

Myles has amazingly convinced the following people to come along to Hazlehead parkrun on Saturday morning:

- Gideon Gathimba - Current International athlete & co-founder of the charity with Myles;

- Dave Moorcroft - Commonwealth Gold medallist and former 5K World Record holder;

- Becky Lyne - European 800m Bronze medallist;

- Fraser Clyne - Local running legend and multiple marathon winner;

- Pastor John Murage - Founder of the children's home in Kenya that is supported by Myles & Gideons charity.

I am sure you will agree that this is a truly incredible coup to be able to meet, and potentially be in the same run, as the above fabulous individuals.

There will be a collection before the start, and on the finish table, for the Gathimba Edwards Foundation. Please help support this most worthy of causes.

Anybody make it along this morning. I'm in Aberdeen this weekend so decided to pop along. Still haven't done the other one up here. Having looked at their average turnout it seemed good today. Certainly lots of runners at the start either new to parkrun or at least the Hazlehead edition. Found the run tough compared to my usual (Edinburgh).

Unfortunately Dave Moorcroft didn't run, but it was quite amusing seeing him holding the jackets and Becky Lyne dishing out the goodies at the end. Stopped for a quick word with Moorcroft at the end, who seemed a really nice guy.

Anybody make it along this morning. I'm in Aberdeen this weekend so decided to pop along. Still haven't done the other one up here. Having looked at their average turnout it seemed good today. Certainly lots of runners at the start either new to parkrun or at least the Hazlehead edition. Found the run tough compared to my usual (Edinburgh).

Unfortunately Dave Moorcroft didn't run, but it was quite amusing seeing him holding the jackets and Becky Lyne dishing out the goodies at the end. Stopped for a quick word with Moorcroft at the end, who seemed a really nice guy.

Hazelhead is certainly tougher than the Beach.

How was it if it was crowded as I'm not sure it's the best for that.

Hazelhead is certainly tougher than the Beach.

How was it if it was crowded as I'm not sure it's the best for that.

There were just over 150 runners today which looks to be about double their average. It was a little crowded at the start but it was fine and no more congested than any other start. I certainly can't blame my slower time on it being busy :-( As you'll know the route is quite narrow and is also an out and back course, which won't help if numbers do rise significantly. It could cope with a few more runners, even another 50 or so.

I'll need to get to the beach next.

Did my first park run in forever today. Was caught in some amount of traffic for the first 1.5k but once I made my way through it managed to get some rhythm and the splits started to fall. Finished with two 4 minute ks for a time of 22mins. Then ran another light 5k in 25 mins.

Happy enough with that knowing I've got more in the tank

Absolutely loved the National Cross Country today.

Toughest race I've ever done, but also the most enjoyable.

That was a proper cross country out there today - total quagmire, pishing rain and wind, and fecking Baltic. Still a great turnout, enjoyed the race even if the conditions scuppered hope of a decent time

That was a proper cross country out there today - total quagmire, pishing rain and wind, and fecking Baltic. Still a great turnout, enjoyed the race even if the conditions scuppered hope of a decent time

I think us guys got better weather than the lassies though.

I looked worse than I felt at the finish, that's for sure.

10006969_10205045350345789_7870497974687

Edited by Cove_Sheep

Nice one mate, well done.

I felt absolutely f*cked the the finish, so Christ knows what I looked like!

The wee hill after the back bit of the course just before you came onto the last bit of each lap buggered me up

Twice overshot due to almost losing my feet in the mud.

Toughest race I've ever done but definitely the most fun.

Edited by Cove_Sheep

Aye the wee downhill shortly after that, that brings you onto the home straight was most welcome. Amazing how you can always pull a sprint (of sorts) out the bag when you see the finish line.

I did enjoy it, but I'm glad the Xc season is over now. Roads are a skoosh in comparison

I did enjoy it, but I'm glad the Xc season is over now. Roads are a skoosh in comparison

Aye I've got a mate who's been doing XC runs for 15+ years, at a fairly high amateur standard, and when he does road races he finds them a piece of cake.

He finished in the top 60 in the london marathon a few years back, for example. Some speed.

10929963_870728339637774_372881967145022

Pic from Scottish Athletics facebook of a runner yesterday. Sums it up...like T in the Park without the cargo or the bamsticks

XC running is a different type of running altogether...I don't do them often, maybe 2-3 times a season. And every time I keep telling myself I need to do more work on my core strength. Then I run on the roads and forget all about it :-))

Aye I've got a mate who's been doing XC runs for 15+ years, at a fairly high amateur standard, and when he does road races he finds them a piece of cake.

He finished in the top 60 in the london marathon a few years back, for example. Some speed.

Top 60, that's serious running!

The only downside about competing is that you don't get to watch the elite guys. The winner from yesterday ran just over 5 minute miles, which is incredible with the underfoot conditions. I think they are going so fast they almost glide over the mud. I was practically wading through it in places

I was going to mention this also (Cove & Peever) but decided it might be too much for some to accept but a very timely article in the Daily Heil has appeared. (To his credit Barry Grove in his book also has a chapter on this as well.)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2965410/Lack-sunshine-increases-risk-diabetes-obese-Low-level-vitamin-D-plays-major-role-disease.html

Once again for those interested...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trick-Treat-Healthy-Eating-Making/dp/1905140223

The east coast gets al lot more sun than the West I think.

What I never knew is that Vit D requires UVB light (as opposed to UVA). (Sorry If I have it the wrong way round).

UVB is mostly filtered out by the atmosphere (ozone maybe). And in the Northern Hemisphere during the winter months due to planetary tilt this means UVB only barely manages to penetrate and only during the time around midday.

Consequently With most folk working indoors now there is mass scale Vit D deficiency out there and this is REALLY flipping bad for you in unimaginably complex ways.

(Once again you have been mis-sold health advice about staying out of the sun.)

Your body can generate a lot of Vit D in just 20 mins good sun exposure. But get it at midday. It works under the skin so get as much skin exposed as you can. (Sit indoors in front of an open window so you are not cold.)

(I better run before Parkie shows and goes mental at me.)

Edited by thplinth