Tamb Running Thread - Page 25 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Kirkintilloch 12.5k for me today. 3rd year I've ran it now. Not in as decent shape as previous years so not expecting much. Weather seems favourable though and looking forward to it in anycase.

How did you get on? It was the first time I have run this, ahem, 'undulating' course!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How did you get on? It was the first time I have run this, ahem, 'undulating' course!

This was the third year I done this race. I bettered last year's time by 40 seconds which I was pretty happy with. The first year I done it was my quickest but the course different then as it missed out the big hill beside the new houses (the hardest hill of them all I thought). Its a pretty tough race but a great season opener I think.

How did you find it yourself?

I missed out on that.

Is anyone else on here doing the National Cross Country a week on Sunday?

aye, and dreading it. did it in 50 mins dead a couple of years back, managed to fall 3 times on the course.

hoping to take it inside 50. think im a good bit fitter this time

I'm currently 6 "runs" in to the couch to 5K programme. I thought my fitness was woeful but it's better than I thought and I'm finding myself running through some of the walking bits as well (this is also usually after I've done about 20-30 mins cardio on the bike/elliptical). I'm considering skipping a couple of stages ahead, should I do this or just stick with the programme?

I've got an 18 mile run on Saturday morning as part of my marathon training. Dreading it if I'm honest.

That's nothing, I'm meant to be on 22 miles this weekend!

Although, not sure what I'll do as I ditched the 20 miles I was meant to do last weekend after 10.

This was the third year I done this race. I bettered last year's time by 40 seconds which I was pretty happy with. The first year I done it was my quickest but the course different then as it missed out the big hill beside the new houses (the hardest hill of them all I thought). Its a pretty tough race but a great season opener I think.

How did you find it yourself?

I died a bit on the second half. One of the hills at about 7k knackered me. I think that's the one you mention. It was a good race though and I came 4th out of my club so good points!

Edited by Deeklipse

I'm currently 6 "runs" in to the couch to 5K programme. I thought my fitness was woeful but it's better than I thought and I'm finding myself running through some of the walking bits as well (this is also usually after I've done about 20-30 mins cardio on the bike/elliptical). I'm considering skipping a couple of stages ahead, should I do this or just stick with the programme?

Not sure what to suggest as you sound well ahead of where I was when I started with it.

When I did it, the week that it ramped up a bit I honestly worried I'd never make it to the 5km distance.

I've got an 18 mile run on Saturday morning as part of my marathon training. Dreading it if I'm honest.

I'll be doing that distance at some point in the next few weeks. Looking forward to seeing if I can.

Not sure what to suggest as you sound well ahead of where I was when I started with it.

When I did it, the week that it ramped up a bit I honestly worried I'd never make it to the 5km distance.

Cheers. I'll probably just stick with it as I don't want to potentially get ahead of myself and end up not wanting to do it any more. Run number 7 coming up in 57 minutes!

Ran 28m last weekend along the toughest terrain of the WHW - Rowardennan to Beinglas Farm and back. Should have been under 5h but a slight detour along the lower unmade path added another 30 painful minutes on.

Weather was nice and the views (when you could actually glance up from the trail) were fantastic. But turning around and knowing you have it all to go back over again is torturous.

But also knowing that in 10 weeks I need to be able to add another 25m on…ouch

Anyone doing the Meadows Marathon on a couple of weeks?

I done the half version a couple of years back. Didn't really enjoy it to be honest. 7 laps around the meadows (14 for the marathon), partly ran over cobbles. I also fail to see how 7 laps (14 for the marathon) can work out at exactly 13.1 / 26.2 miles.

It was a good atmosphere though and pretty busy - don't mean to put you off!

The lack of a lot of club runners at it is telling I guess...

Hope you enjoy more than I did!

I done the half version a couple of years back. Didn't really enjoy it to be honest. 7 laps around the meadows (14 for the marathon), partly ran over cobbles. I also fail to see how 7 laps (14 for the marathon) can work out at exactly 13.1 / 26.2 miles.

It was a good atmosphere though and pretty busy - don't mean to put you off!

The lack of a lot of club runners at it is telling I guess...

Hope you enjoy more than I did!

Thanks! Not sure if there are cobbles this year - it goes into Crichton St and they have said the turning points will be positioned to give exact distance. My club actually have a different event (Gartmorn 6) on their Grand Pix competition the same day. I'm only really doing it to hopefully get the 4 hour monkey off my back by actually running the whole way before having a proper crack at London.

Thanks! Not sure if there are cobbles this year - it goes into Crichton St and they have said the turning points will be positioned to give exact distance. My club actually have a different event (Gartmorn 6) on their Grand Pix competition the same day. I'm only really doing it to hopefully get the 4 hour monkey off my back by actually running the whole way before having a proper crack at London.

Best of luck then. Sounds like they may have fiddled around with the route since I done it (for the better)

Did my longest run since March 2012 on Sunday of 13.3 miles. It was a real slog - the first 4 miles is nearly all uphill and then there was the strong wind!

Glad to get it in though.

Against my better judgement have entered various 10K's and a half - said after last year I wasn't going to do any more races because I hated them so much but Lumphanan gave me the bug. Entered the Glenlivet 10k last night which looks Lumphananish.

That's nothing, I'm meant to be on 22 miles this weekend!

Although, not sure what I'll do as I ditched the 20 miles I was meant to do last weekend after 10.

Same :-(

Did I read before that you're doing barcelona?

My training for it hasn't really worked out, or more accurately started. Having just looked I've done 9 runs so far this year. 2 off which have been more than 5k. I suspect Sundays training run and the marathon might be a struggle.

Correct!

Mine was going really well until I went skiing the start of this month, since then I've not really been able to get back into it.

And running when you can't be arsed is just plain pish.

Got tickets for Espanyol v Atletico the night before though, so not all bad.

Correct!

Mine was going really well until I went skiing the start of this month, since then I've not really been able to get back into it.

And running when you can't be arsed is just plain pish.

Got tickets for Espanyol v Atletico the night before though, so not all bad.

Nightmare. I'm sure the views, crowd and prospect of a nice medal will drag us round.

How much did you pay for tickets? I had a look previously but seemed quite expensive.

:ok:

As I understand it you are not the only TAMBER to start this of late.

lost 18 pounds so far , so have 2 pairs of jeans i can wear again and a few shirts fit a lot better.

This is obviously in conjunction with a complete overhaul of my diet, Just eating vegetables,fruits,nuts and some chicken or fish twice a week. Stopped all sweeties and crisps , Switched all bread to wholemeal.

Nice one phart - I did a complete lifestyle overhaul last year as well. Lost three stone and got my BMI into the healthy range through a combination of low calories (low carbohydrate more than anything else), exercise (mainly running but also walking whenever I could) and giving up alcohol. Am now coming up to a year off the drink - will probably have a drink some time in the future but don't have any desire to revert to my previous lifestyle.

What helped me is realising that protein is very filling (no harm in upping your fish/ chicken intake), that fat in your diet is not bad for you and that once you break the carbohydrate addiction cycle the cravings should vanish. I also made batches of lentil soup every week or two which I often had instead of a big dinner in the evenings. Stick with it - it's worth the effort...