Tamb Running Thread - Page 15 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

What's the advantage of using a GPS watch over your phone with say MapMyRun?

Considering you can also play music with your phone (no need for a separate MP3 player), it seems like the best thing to use, no?

Finished the couch to 5k program a few weeks ago. Now using the 5kPlus podcasts.

Watch is really easy to look at during a run.

I was looking into getting a pebble to do both for me, along with other stuff I don't really need.

Some people also don't like listening to music while running? :wtf:

Congratulations on finishing the course though.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I run 3 times a week and use the Garmin 610 since one year. I never had any problem, except 3 or 4 times when the GPS was very long to find a signal.

It´s a great and easy watch, with a lot of options (i think 80% of runners will never try all the options - novice people don't need all these technologies).

It's expensive, but if you're looking for a quality watch, you should have a look at it!

Edited by McVinceSCT

A watch is much smaller and lighter than most phones.

Does the weight make much (any!) difference?

I run with phone and keys in my shorts pockets.

Although i have to admit - i bought a good wind-proof running top at the weekend there. The difference in terms of weight is very noticeable. Can hardly feel it on me, and helps with the freezing wind and not getting too sweaty.

That's the thing about using podcasts - i need to listen to Laura the slavedriver.

I'm surprised a lot of runners don't want to listen to music and/or audio cues and time info.

Cheers!

If you're a proper runner who races comepetitively and for decenttimes thn you don't tend to listen to music when you're training. it is just a distraction when you're doing a fartlek, interval or hill session. As well as for tempo runs. You really need to concentrate and there are enough things to think about - breathing, stride, technique and the pain! - without the distraction of having music in your lugs.

Also, I actually find running interesting and if it was boring I don't think I'd listen to music just to get me through a run. Fair play if you're just a leisurely runnr runner or jogger who runs to keep healthy but even then I think I wouldn't listen to music as running is a great time to think about things when you have nothing else to think about.

Watch is really easy to look at during a run.

This is exactly why a watch is better. I look at mine regularly when running and couldn't do that with a phone. I also don't like having a phone in the pelting rain.

I never listen to music - it is a distraction and to be honest think it is dangerous. I like to be aware of who and what is around and that is a lot harder without hearing. I also enjoy running and don't need the distraction I am too busy with enjoying my environment and thinking about my running. The only time I would listen to music is in the gym as running on a treadmill is torture which is why I haven't done it in years.

Does the weight make much (any!) difference?

I run with phone and keys in my shorts pockets.

I`ve got a Sony Z1 phone which is pretty big and would definitely be a pain to carry around. Watch is just so much handier.

I also never listen to music when i`m running.

I have a stop watch and I know my route before I go out. If I'm somewhere new I look at maps and know where I'm going. When I come back I write my route / times in a diary.

Recon I've saved by self at least a 100 quid and I don't have to wait for a satellite to come over head before I can run!

Lovely 3h (17m, 1000m climb) run round the Moffat hills this morning and even a bit of snow falling on the tops!

Edited by College_Boy

I have a stop watch and I know my route before I go out. If I'm somewhere new I look at maps and know where I'm going. When I come back I write my route / times in a diary.

Recon I've saved by self at least a 100 quid and I don't have to wait for a satellite to come over head before I can run!

Lovely 3h (17m, 1000m climb) run round the Moffat hills this morning and even a bit of snow falling on the tops!

Not easy to work out your splits as you go though

Edited by Lamia

Not easy to work out your splits as you go though

If I'd never used a watch, I probably wouldn't mind but now I've got used to it, I couldn't go back the other way.

In terms of longer distance runs, I don't think a phone app would be too suitable as I would imagine it would drain the battery rather quickly.

Anyway, back on to the topic of running, quite enjoyed this morning's Parkrun, bit icy and slippy in places, so didn't get a PB, but enjoyable all the same.

In terms of longer distance runs, I don't think a phone app would be too suitable as I would imagine it would drain the battery rather quickly.

My phone battery lasts about 8 hours if i go hillwalking and use strava.

Did a 10k this morning. Was planning further but my legs disagreed.

If I'd never used a watch, I probably wouldn't mind but now I've got used to it, I couldn't go back the other way.

Anyway, back on to the topic of running, quite enjoyed this morning's Parkrun, bit icy and slippy in places, so didn't get a PB, but enjoyable all the same.

I've used my phone for a couple of marathons and it's lasted no problem. A couple of them have been 5 hours + and I've taken photos going round.

I've got an iPhone 4 at the moment, which I don't find to bad carrying, but I reckon any bigger and it would be a bit of a pain.

I've still never actually got round to using the headtorch I've had for about a year now...

Well we have no street lights and lots of potholes to contend with not to mention shits that won't dip! I couldn't do it without a head torch - not safe either!