Tamb Running Thread - Page 27 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

(I better run before Parkie shows and goes mental at me.)

I've no idea if you're talking sense or jibberish here :lol:

Just to clarify, my objection to what you were saying before was that you were painting carbs as the devil and advocating almost complete abstinence. I agree that the vast majority of the population over eat carbs and need to reduce their intake. Carbs do however have their place and at some times ingestion of carbs is essential (i.e. post workout in order to replenish glycogen stores in muscles and enable muscle repair and growth to occur).

But that's old ground that I don't want to go over again :lol:

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry where did I "advocate almost complete abstinence".

I must have mentioned my bacon roll no?

I said invert the current advice which is approximately

Eat:

• 65 % Carbs,
  • 25% Protein,
  • 10 % Fat

With Eat:

• 65 % Fats (the good kind, saturated ones),
  • 25% Protein
  • 10 % Carbs

I am not on a low carb diet you are on a high carb diet.

Your body however is not evolved to cope with such high ratios of carbs in your diet.

you are on a high carb diet.

You have no idea what my macros currently are... Happy to share though...

Currently I'm attempting to bulk up and increase my muscle mass, hence my macro target is:

Carbs: 35%

Fats: 30%

Protein : 45%

At the end of the weekend I intend to enter a 2 week cutting phase, with the aim of stripping body fat. (I'm doing something different, for the first time in this cut (carb cycling) so i'll talk about my previous cut). Macros for that were:

Carbs: 25% (post workout mainly)

Fats: 35%

Protein: 40%

Edited by Parklife

For what it's worth I've kept my carb intake to the high 20%s and low 30%s for the last year. Protein intake has been around 20% with fat intake around 50%. I'm sure that this is the main reason for shifting 3 stone, albeit that the increase in exercise helps too.

Once you lose the weight through this approach everything else flows - my blood pressure, cholesterol and all other similar health measurements are all way down, well inside the healthy range. I was offered the chance to go on statins but happily declined.

For what it's worth I've kept my carb intake to the high 20%s and low 30%s for the last year. Protein intake has been around 20% with fat intake around 50%. I'm sure that this is the main reason for shifting 3 stone, albeit that the increase in exercise helps too.

Once you lose the weight through this approach everything else flows - my blood pressure, cholesterol and all other similar health measurements are all way down, well inside the healthy range. I was offered the chance to go on statins but happily declined.

Aye aye and aye. The weight gain is just the visible part of the bad things happening inside you with a high carb diet. When you reduce the ratio all the red lights suddenly start going green. Just try it for yourself...

go

70:20:10

Fat:Protein:Carbs.

Statins...oh man. The high cholesterol thing is also a big up. When I reflect on the 'full spectrum' and not just bad but positively toxic health advice given / peddled this last 30 years I think we can say they are defo trying to kill us. :wink2: There is a certain balance to it but... Big food is feeding you toxins making you sick and then Big Pharma is feeding you toxins to make you healthy. Ka-ching!

Absolutely loved the National Cross Country today.

Toughest race I've ever done, but also the most enjoyable.

That was a proper cross country out there today - total quagmire, pishing rain and wind, and fecking Baltic. Still a great turnout, enjoyed the race even if the conditions scuppered hope of a decent time

I also enjoyed it in a perverse way. Glad I gave my spikes only their second ever outing as they were a godsend. We were lucky the rain went off a bit for us but the ground was destroyed by then. That's 4 XC races I've done now and in each one the men's race was last. I can only assume that this will be reversed next season.

I also enjoyed it in a perverse way. Glad I gave my spikes only their second ever outing as they were a godsend. We were lucky the rain went off a bit for us but the ground was destroyed by then. That's 4 XC races I've done now and in each one the men's race was last. I can only assume that this will be reversed next season.

I can safely say it wont be my last XC.

Happy that I achieved my objectives in not finishing last and not falling at any point! Next time it will be to get under an hour.

Weather conditions were definitely better for us than it was for the lassies I thought.

Maybe upgrade to some spikes rather than cheap trail shoes for next time.

I wouldn't run XC's in anything other than spikes as I love their lightweight flexibility, plus there is so little to them they don't hold much water / mud. However they only have spikes at the front and the heels don't offer much grip. I've got a pair which have probably the most grip and its pretty poor - but this tends to only be a problem going down hill.

I do know a lot of runners who wear fell shoes for XC. They tend to be lightweight(but not as light as spikes) but have the advantage of studs right across forefoot and heel.

Men's races are always the last one which is fine by me as the more mud there is the better!

That was a proper cross country out there today - total quagmire, pishing rain and wind, and fecking Baltic. Still a great turnout, enjoyed the race even if the conditions scuppered hope of a decent time

I was at the park last night doing some circuits, it's wrecked, practically unusable. Hopefully there's a plan of action to remedy some of it.

I've run a few Highland Games races and they're great fun.

There are usually a few decent runners at the front and then every man and his dog, usually a few of which are in fancy dress.

The decent runners have also probably run all the track races as well and they still bugger off into the distance.

Not been on for a while but glad to see a few guys enjoyed the Kirkie 12.5k. I was stewarding at around 8k with my son so will have cheered you on/verbally abused you as you passed. It's a smashing race and is really popular but the logistics mean it can't get much bigger. The course you ran this year is the proper route and the hill at 7k is brutal. My PB was based on the out and back version as well but that was only used due to the poor state of the roads one year

The club run a very flat 10k in June and a half marathon in October which are equally good value and friendly.

off to inverness tomorrow for half marathon :shocked:

Ran Inverness half last year and enjoyed it. Thought it was quite well organised. Was just a little disappointed it didn't run through the centre of town a little more.

First time at Aberdeen parkrun for me this morn and it was a braw morning for it. Tough wind for the first half though. Preferred it to Hazlehead.

Ran Inverness half last year and enjoyed it. Thought it was quite well organised. Was just a little disappointed it didn't run through the centre of town a little more.

First time at Aberdeen parkrun for me this morn and it was a braw morning for it. Tough wind for the first half though. Preferred it to Hazlehead.

Was like two different races that this morning. Happy enough with my time today given conditions, falling 180m short of a new PB.

Snap!

Hoping to get under 1:50

Edited by Cove_Sheep

Can't wait for the wind and rain :lol:

I ran with FE who was 30 min pacing which was nice. Wouldn't have fancied pushing it into that wind! I love the beach parkrun. Hazlehead is nice for a change though

Certainly was. Thought I ran quite well, but was a good minute and half down on pb.

If we got a tail wind on the lower prom I think my PB would have fallen again.

Ah well, not to be.

Could have done without getting extra-time at my football this afternoon ahead of tomorrow's half marathon though.