White Wine - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In these metrosexual days I don't suppose it matters, but I've always viewed white wine as a girl's drink. It also tastes like cheap vinegar. Surely the connoisseur would always opt for red?

This is wierd! The very minute you posted this topic i knocked a glass of white wine all over the worktop, just missing the lap top. Are you taking things into your own hands and destroying white wine by telepathy?

BTW I agree, it's just that there was no red in the house, and only 1 Stella which i am keeping till later!

This is wierd! The very minute you posted this topic i knocked a glass of white wine all over the worktop, just missing the lap top. Are you taking things into your own hands and destroying white wine by telepathy?

BTW I agree, it's just that there was no red in the house, and only 1 Stella which i am keeping till later!

:lol:

Got a fridge full of lager and never touch the stuff since my taste buds got me onto white wine,, and its only Marlborough for me which is a new zealand wine.

I can go back to the days when it was a luxury to go out for a meal and you wouldn't eve look at the wine list, now its so cheap and can't beat a bottle or two of Oyster Bay about £7 a bottle in asda.

Occasionally drink white wine as an aperitif or with fish. Otherwise has to be red for me.

I would never drink white wine in a boozer, for the reasons CE sets out.

However, when I was living in North London I would occasionally frequent a rather rough old boozer. One of the locals in there was a big skinhead bloke, looked hard as nails, who would drink pints of white wine. He generally kept himself to himself until he had a few pints (of wine) too many. At that point he was apparently known to strip bollock naked and leap from table to table, shouting and screaming.

Fortunate enough never to witness the sight myself,

Got a fridge full of lager and never touch the stuff since my taste buds got me onto white wine,, and its only Marlborough for me which is a new zealand wine.

:ok: NZ sauv blanc is my usual choice if I'm looking for a bottle of white.

Spent a very happy afternoon a few years back wine tasting in Malborough.

Kudos to the Kiwis for making the screwtop bottle acceptable too...

You can't beat a nice chilled glass of Chenin Blanc or Pinot Grigio on a summers night. For those saying they think white wine tastes like vinegar I'd suggest you're drinking the wrong/cheap white wine. There are some delicious whites out there and like everything else it's just finding the one that suits you. I can't even stand the smell of sauvignon blanc never mind the taste.

Getting back to red wine

Anyone been drinking Pinotage ? South African variety grape, and a great red

Lanzerac Pinotage is my favourite wine of all time. Was on a tour of the vineyard about 10 years ago. It was 9am and we'd all had a pretty heavy night the night before. One by one the group I was with politely refused a taster as they were all a bit rough. By the time it got to me and my mate none of our party of 8 had tried a drop so we felt obliged out of politness (especially as the tour was free!) but I was genuinely concerned as to whether I'd keep it down. 45 minutes later we'd drained the bottle and had half a case in the back of the van to bring home! Unfortunately I've yet to find anywhere here that sells it. :(

Popped down to the Mosel valley last weekend, as you do. Beautiful part of the world.

Came back with 3 boxes of riesling, and a box of riesling sekt which is a fine wee bubbly to sit drinking in the garden on a warm summer's evening.

Riesling's not my favourite, but when it's coming from the vineyard 50 yards from your hotel, then it gives it a nice wee attachment.

Red mostly with food but you can't beat a good glass of white at the right time, especially with fish. Hamilton and Russell with a lobster dinner in Cape Town is a particularly good memory and NZ cloudy bay is good pretty much any time.

Agree though some white can taste pretty rank - usually cheap stuff. A good chilled white on a warm summer eve though hits the spot.