Just Watched The Ireland Game - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Just Watched The Ireland Game

glasgow jock

Watched it for the first time today, and I have changed my opinion since actually being in the Aviva stadium, I thought that Ireland weren't as dominant as I thought on the day of the game, thought Maloney, Naismith & Mulgrew where our better players & though that Hutton was by far our worst player (yes, even more so than Forsyth)

If our ball retention was better we could have won the game, this next game in just under two months is absolutely massive, win in Georgia & I think we are just about there.

Hutton worries me big time !!!

Watched it for the first time today, and I have changed my opinion since actually being in the Aviva stadium, I thought that Ireland weren't as dominant as I thought on the day of the game, thought Maloney, Naismith & Mulgrew where our better players & though that Hutton was by far our worst player (yes, even more so than Forsyth)

If our ball retention was better we could have won the game, this next game in just under two months is absolutely massive, win in Georgia & I think we are just about there.

I haven't watched it yet as I thought it was quite a boring game (not while I was there because if the nerves etc.) but I remember thinking we weren't as bad as everyone was saying after it. I'll probably give it a go in a couple of months to put me in the mood for the Georgia game.

A win in Georgia is vital for automatic qualification hopes but I wouldn't say we were just about there if we beat them. We need to back it up with a win against Poland I think to be certain.

I can recall Charlie's free-kick effort nearly taking out a plane on its approach to Dublin airport, that may be a bit harsh as I was rather tipsy.

I can recall Charlie's free-kick effort nearly taking out a plane on its approach to Dublin airport, that may be a bit harsh as I was rather tipsy.

I've still got the ball from charlies free kick :-)

I also watched it recently. It's certainly an interesting experience to watch it again in the cold light of day when you are not dreading that every time they lump it forward there might be a scruffy goal and a disastrous 2-1 defeat. The over-riding impression was that it must be a tough time to support Ireland at the minute - going on to the park hoping to score rather than in expectation. We didn't create many clear openings ourselves but when the game calmed down a bit in the second half we played some very good fitba in parts and showed glimpses of what we're capable of. There were some definite 'end of season' performances - giving the ball away needlessly, even in the second half. They had the one major chance when Marshall saved wi his legs shortly after 1-1 following that very good Hoolahan through ball. Otherwise we looked a lot more comfortable than I felt at the time...

I subsequently watched the Georgia home game - what a contrast in terms of the quality of the fitba on show. We were very, very good that day in possession and in creating chances. Enjoyable to watch. It would have been ridiculous if we had ended up wi a 1-1 draw when they had that chance at the end. If we can play like that again then we will do very well in Tbilisi. The main concern was the inability to finish off the chances. The concern remains that if his eye is not in, Naisy will needs four or five excellent chances to get one goal.

dont know why maloney didnt hit that, mulgrew has never hit a good free kick on goal for scotland.

dont know why maloney didnt hit that, mulgrew has never hit a good free kick on goal for scotland.

Suspect that it was to put off the Irish, as 9 times out of 10 they probably expected Maloney to take the free kick.

I said at the time we went there not to lose, the increase in tempo at the start of the second half would of continued had we not equalised so quickly. Getting the goal gave us what we needed.

there is a spell of around 20-25 passes where we move and try to build but never get anywhere and end us with maloney i think knocking a simple pass 5 yards but goes out of play.

Hopefully we dont live to regret not going for the jugular against a poor irish team.

Hopefully we dont live to regret not going for the jugular against a poor irish team.

I thought WGS could have went for it by bring on Charlie Adam or even Leigh Griffithst to try and sneak a winner.

But it was Berra to come on for Naismith and he was happy with the draw.

IN GOrD WE TRUST

2r5t9j7.jpg

who would be the favourites to take over ? big mick mcarthy and keane would make a good partnership :-))

hahahahaa - the entertainment on the sideline would be worth the match fee alone :-))

As for replacement - depends if Denis O Brien is going to partially fund the salary again

I would be happy for Mick McCarthy to be re-appointed - only doubt would be the returning manager syndrome which can often end in failure