Footballs Back! - Page 8 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Footballs Back!

That wasn't pretty. Can't make my mind up if they were decent or we were terrible. Suspect the truth lies somewhere in the middle. They had at least a couple of handy players. We seemed to labour on the ball and it was just all a bit obvious and predictable. Flood just kills any momentum - for us more than the opposition. Very few decent performances for us tonight. Shinnie looks very promising, I thought Taylor and Considine did well enough and McGinn was good in flashes. That would be about it though......

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That wasn't pretty. Can't make my mind up if they were decent or we were terrible. Suspect the truth lies somewhere in the middle. They had at least a couple of handy players. We seemed to labour on the ball and it was just all a bit obvious and predictable. Flood just kills any momentum - for us more than the opposition. Very few decent performances for us tonight. Shinnie looks very promising, I thought Taylor and Considine did well enough and McGinn was good in flashes. That would be about it though......

That just about sums it up for me.

Shinnie is a positive. Rooney is an intelligent footballer, but just lacks pace to make him a top player. McGinn is a good player and would look better if the players around him were better. Mclean is slower than he looks !!! (he was on the pitch was he !!). The normally reliable Hayes had a bit of a nightmare, and the more he tried, the worse he got, and kept slipping all over the place. Logan is the only overlapping full back that never goes passed the last defender. He kept, playing safe, and coming back inside, or tried speculative crosses, with no direction at all. I doubt whether he could have crossed the road tonight.

Surely, they can only get better next week, against a team that won't sit in like the opposition tonight, and will afford them more room to attack better. They can, can't they ?????????????????????

Really need a bit of forward momentum, at pace, from the midfield area, as opposed to the slow and laboured performance tonight.

Did Celtic not get pumped out of Europe twice last season before the end of August ?

I can't remember the last time Rangers played in Europe, but they were probably shite as well.

Celtic were knocked out of the champions league in August then remained in the uefa cup until February.

Rangers, as we now know them,have never played in Europe. Hope that helps.

The point I'm making is that the excuse that they're just back off their holidays is a pile of pash!

Not really, and the fact that all Scottish teams regardless of who they are have struggled in the early rounds of the Europa League shows that we have a systematic problem that simply isn't being addressed.

This team were pretty useful, comfortable on the ball and filled with internationalists. They would have beaten every other Scottish team apart from Celtic, who if they'd played them last night I can guarantee would have struggled to match their movement as much as the Dons did.

However, if Aberdeen (and Celtic) played them 3 months later I'd be pretty certain that both teams would win comfortably.

That's not to take away from the fact that Aberdeen were absolutely brutal over 135 minutes of the 180 against this team, and that the wrong side(s) were picked and the wrong tactics used.....there were no positives at all to be taken from last night, other than we're through and that Shinnie once again showed he's going to be the best signing we've made in years.

and that the wrong side(s) were picked and the wrong tactics used.....

What's the point of Kenny McLean? What does he do, apart from completely unbalance our team? If McInnes is determined to fit him in, then it has to be at the expense of Flood in a deeper position. We need Pawlett or Smith further up the pitch, linking the midfield and attack, making runs beyond Rooney and making the opposition deal with the threat of someone running in behind them. McLean plays in front of the defence, doing not very much.

It's so frustrating that McInnes has taken 5 months and still been unable to see this.

What's the point of Kenny McLean? What does he do, apart from completely unbalance our team? If McInnes is determined to fit him in, then it has to be at the expense of Flood in a deeper position. We need Pawlett or Smith further up the pitch, linking the midfield and attack, making runs beyond Rooney and making the opposition deal with the threat of someone running in behind them. McLean plays in front of the defence, doing not very much.

It's so frustrating that McInnes has taken 5 months and still been unable to see this.

I actually thought that McLean started off quite well last night, but after about 25 minutes he drifted into the kind of anonymous nothingness that he's becoming famous for.

I honestly believe though that there's a good player in there, but as you say it's being stifled by the fact that he's playing far too deep to be effective. We've already got Flood and Jack as holding midfielders, we need McLean playing in the opposition half.

It doesn't help though that every single move we have has to involve Flood and one of his crab-like, crossfield runs that slow things down and allow the other team to re-group.

Thought Flood was alright at keeping things tidy in the midfield, but it was the type of game that needed a bit more drive from the midfield, as when we did push them they seemed all over the place.

Thought Mclean drifted in and out the game in spells, but when he was driving forward there did look to be a player there.

As with last week, Logans crosses were awful, and any time he actually did get a good one into the box, Rooney was either nowhere to be seen or had 4 or 5 of the Macedonian players on top of him.

Big improvement needed for the next round

until we ever get summer football, our teams will struggle in Europe. Summer football will not turn us all into World beaters but our teams will be match fit. If not summer football then start the season a month earlier and have a month break in January.

Not really, and the fact that all Scottish teams regardless of who they are have struggled in the early rounds of the Europa League shows that we have a systematic problem that simply isn't being addressed.

This team were pretty useful, comfortable on the ball and filled with internationalists. They would have beaten every other Scottish team apart from Celtic, who if they'd played them last night I can guarantee would have struggled to match their movement as much as the Dons did.

However, if Aberdeen (and Celtic) played them 3 months later I'd be pretty certain that both teams would win comfortably.

That's not to take away from the fact that Aberdeen were absolutely brutal over 135 minutes of the 180 against this team, and that the wrong side(s) were picked and the wrong tactics used.....there were no positives at all to be taken from last night, other than we're through and that Shinnie once again showed he's going to be the best signing we've made in years.

So you actually agree with me but couldn't say so after your idiotic "you're a Rangers fan" post.

Congratulations on being a hypocritical tit so early in the day.

I thought these early european rounds were regionalised yet just read that had St Johnstone won last night they would have been off to Kazakhstan, hardly local. Really needs looking at if there are going to teams going one and done, trekking half way across europe to be out pocket

He was,Still looks to fall over too much.

Is Cammy Smith shagging McInnes' wife or something? I've no idea what he has to do to get a regular run in the side, while the under-performing McLean and Pawlett continually disappoint.

CJgRkmnWcAAmjNQ.jpg

50/50....

Why the feck do we even still have him as a player? He better be on a fecking pittance. To let Low go and keep Robson is a terrible call IMO.

Shinnie, particularly in the 1st half, was excellent, McGinn and Taylor also had good games. Hayes on the other hand, looked like he'd spent all day in the pub, and Flood barely played a forward pass all night. Agree about Nicky Low, we should have offered him a better deal to stay. Massive improvement needed for next week...

:lol: That stream must have been really stuttery and only shown you Aberdeen on the attack twice.