Minutes Silence On Friday - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Minutes Silence On Friday

I will be working on Friday, so the chances of me taking part in it, will be virtually nill, but if the chance happens, I will take part, just out of common decency and respect, and not because some politicians or grief monkeys told me to.

Another example of the need to wear grief like a badge of honour. I sometimes feel like things like this are more about showing people you are grieving/respecting rather than the actual act itself. It's the same when they have minutes silences at football for things that have no place being there. Out of interest, was there a nationwide silence for the people tragically killed in George Square or the Clutha? Not trying to turn this in to a Scotland/England/Britain thing but these are the 2 biggest tragedies I can remember recently outwith Tunisia and I don't recall it happening then.

Don't recall a nationwide silence for Clutha / George Square, although there were high profile localised silences (including at football games), vigils, anniversary services, etc.

However, there was certainly a UK wide silence for Dunblane - the most similar tragedy to what happened in Tunisia.

Each to their own.

I can't ever recall Cameron, Blair, Bush et al asking for respect each time a bomb wiped out an innocent Iraqi house full of young children.

Brown people are worth less. You should know that by now.

I respect folks saying they should decide whether or not to hold a silent minute....

For me I have lost a good friend and ex-Army colleague today....Billy Graham a St.Johnstone fan and turnstile man was a top bloke...always jovial and smiling we held several years of good banter on who the real Saints were....me being a Buddie...

Today Billy there is only one real Saint mate....

My thoughts are with the daughter of Billy & Lisa and their family....I cannot comprehend what they must be feeling at the moment

RIP Billy & Lisa.....

I respect folks saying they should decide whether or not to hold a silent minute....

For me I have lost a good friend and ex-Army colleague today....Billy Graham a St.Johnstone fan and turnstile man was a top bloke...always jovial and smiling we held several years of good banter on who the real Saints were....me being a Buddie...

My thoughts are with the daughter of Billy & Lisa and their family....I cannot comprehend what they must be feeling at the moment

RIP Billy & Lisa.....

Nice post.

Another example of the need to wear grief like a badge of honour. I sometimes feel like things like this are more about showing people you are grieving/respecting rather than the actual act itself. It's the same when they have minutes silences at football for things that have no place being there. Out of interest, was there a nationwide silence for the people tragically killed in George Square or the Clutha? Not trying to turn this in to a Scotland/England/Britain thing but these are the 2 biggest tragedies I can remember recently outwith Tunisia and I don't recall it happening then.

100% with remembrance week being one of them.

Seems to me that this UK-government ordained minute's silence is just another aspect of attempting to instil a sense of "Britishness" and keep the population compliant. I'll have my minute's silences when I deem it appropriate, not when David Cameron tells me too. 11am on 11/11 is fine, but I refuse to put on a display of synthetic grief for the like of Princess Diana. I wonder if Tony Blair will be joining in the minute's silence seeing as he bears a significant amount of responsibility for the chaos in the Middle East.

A simple calculation shows around 1/4 million people die each and every day on this planet, something of the order of 100 million per year. If most of the world have a much shorter life expectancy than we do, figures could be quite a bit more than that.

Now for every family who suffers a loss in whatever circumstances, it's of course a very sad time.

But the constant 24 hour news coverage we have now seems determined to report to death (no pun intended) every fatal incident big or small providing Brits are involved or Americans.

As has rightly been pointed out, no minutes silence for the many hundreds of thousands that have died asca result of Blair and Bush's arrogant warmongering, and I'm not hearing any apologies from Cameron for destroying Libya as a viable state which has led directly to this mass killing in next door Tunis.

A simple calculation shows around 1/4 million people die each and every day on this planet, something of the order of 100 million per year. If most of the world have a much shorter life expectancy than we do, figures could be quite a bit more than that.

Now for every family who suffers a loss in whatever circumstances, it's of course a very sad time.

But the constant 24 hour news coverage we have now seems determined to report to death (no pun intended) every fatal incident big or small providing Brits are involved or Americans.

As has rightly been pointed out, no minutes silence for the many hundreds of thousands that have died asca result of Blair and Bush's arrogant warmongering, and I'm not hearing any apologies from Cameron for destroying Libya as a viable state which has led directly to this mass killing in next door Tunis.

Hit the nail on the head there buckie boy.

No Man is an Island'

No man is an island entire of itself; every man

is a piece of the continent, a part of the main;

if a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe

is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as

well as any manner of thy friends or of thine

own were; any man's death diminishes me,

because I am involved in mankind.

And therefore never send to know for whom

the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.

John Donne.

RIP Billy & Lisa.....

Sorry to hear of your pal's passing, Davy. Stuarty Cosgrove posted on Facebook about Billy - a top lad by all accounts.