Wimbledon 2015 - Page 7 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Wimbledon 2015

Fairbairn

To expand -

Federer had never been further than the quarter finals of any major tournament before he won Wimbledon (and not past the last 16 in SW19) and was nearly 23 when he finally won it.

Djokovic had been to Final of the US Open and the semis of the French and Wimbledon before he won the Aussie at the age of 20. He got to five more semi finals, one losing final and won the Oz again before winning Wimbledon at the age of 24.

Federer couldn't get past an aging Agassi and Sampras, or legendary talents like Kuertens, Costa, Johanson, Carlos Ferrero, Kafelnikov, Safin who all won grand slams when he was a young professional.

When Djokovic started as a pro, the first Slam tournament he played in was won by Safin. Every single one after that was won by Federer or Nadal until he won one.

So why did Federer improve so much that he bacame an all time great when he couldn't even beat some of the run of the mill guys who won majors when he was in his early twenties?

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So if there are people implying something about Djoko, is the same true of Federer?

Federer has his own whole blog about "something", Federer even had Mononucleosis a disease that cyclists suffer often.

To expand -

Federer had never been further than the quarter finals of any major tournament before he won Wimbledon (and not past the last 16 in SW19) and was nearly 23 when he finally won it.

Djokovic had been to Final of the US Open and the semis of the French and Wimbledon before he won the Aussie at the age of 20. He got to five more semi finals, one losing final and won the Oz again before winning Wimbledon at the age of 24.

Federer couldn't get past an aging Agassi and Sampras, or legendary talents like Kuertens, Costa, Johanson, Carlos Ferrero, Kafelnikov, Safin who all won grand slams when he was a young professional.

When Djokovic started as a pro, the first Slam tournament he played in was won by Safin. Every single one after that was won by Federer or Nadal until he won one.

So why did Federer improve so much that he bacame an all time great when he couldn't even beat some of the run of the mill guys who won majors when he was in his early twenties?

Not sure what your definition of 'early twenties' is, but it's different to mine.

Federer won Wimbledon at the age of 21 and again at the age of 22, 23, 24... he also beat seven time (and defending champion) Sampras as a 19 year old in 2001.

He won the Australian open at 22, 24... he won the US open at 23, 24...

Hardly old. Players mature at different rates.

Not sure what your definition of 'early twenties' is, but it's different to mine.

Federer won Wimbledon at the age of 21 and again at the age of 22, 23, 24... he also beat seven time (and defending champion) Sampras as a 19 year old in 2001.

He won the Australian open at 22, 24... he won the US open at 23, 24...

Hardly old. Players mature at different rates.

that's kind of the point I'm making - players mature at different rates, so why pick Djokovic out as having a sudden improvement when players improve at different times (and it wasn't as dramatic an improvement as all that)?

Far more surprising that Federer won a major tournament when he did than Djokovic, as Federer's record in slam tournaments wasn't very good up to that point.

Edited by biffer

that's kind of the point I'm making - players mature at different rates, so why pick Djokovic out as having a sudden improvement when players improve at different times (and it wasn't as dramatic an improvement as all that)?

Apologies for picking you up wrong and I agree with your point about Djokovic - as I explained in an earlier post - his improvement has been fairly steady (and still is), with the change in diet only being one of many factors.

In other news, the two Scottish girls in the juniors have both won today. Anna Brogan beat the number one seed and Maia Lumsden beat the number three seed. Well done girls.

Pospisil comes from two sets down to beat Troicki.

Murray (should he win today) will play an unseeded player in the QF - to think a couple of weeks ago people were talking about that match being against Ferrer or Nadal.

Pospisil comes from two sets down to beat Troicki.

Murray (should he win today) will play an unseeded player in the QF - to think a couple of weeks ago people were talking about that match being against Ferrer or Nadal.

Troicki is a fud. I'd bet on him.

This just gets better. Muzza breaks serve straight away and leads 7-6 1-0.

Murray saves break points to hold serve and leads 7-6 2-0.

Murray leading 7-6 5-4 and about to serve for the second set.

You'll need to up your game a wee bit if you want to get a job as a commentator. :lol:

Winner plays Pospisil, who's played 3 5 set matches already

not quite as bad as what John Isner had to do, but still not stacking the odds in your favour with a 5 setter every round.