25 Years Ago Today - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

25 Years Ago Today

Toepoke

Was my first World Cup game.

Arrived in Turin with my uncle at just after 9am. Looking for two tickets.

Was pissing rain all day, not a sniff of a ticket...

Alcohol ban, so no pubs were open and the supermarkets had bouncers guarding the bevy. Miserable!!

Got up to the ground just after 7pm, 9pm kick off, still looking for tickets. My uncle got one, then some boy got off a tram with about 50 tickets in hand, looking for face value.

Absolute carnage, but managed to grab one out of his hand and shove 100 lira in there!!!

If only MoJo had buried that chance in the last minute........

Was my first World Cup game.

Arrived in Turin with my uncle at just after 9am. Looking for two tickets.

Was pissing rain all day, not a sniff of a ticket...

Alcohol ban, so no pubs were open and the supermarkets had bouncers guarding the bevy. Miserable!!

Got up to the ground just after 7pm, 9pm kick off, still looking for tickets. My uncle got one, then some boy got off a tram with about 50 tickets in hand, looking for face value.

Absolute carnage, but managed to grab one out of his hand and shove 100 lira in there!!!

If only MoJo had buried that chance in the last minute........

Nae bevvy? Feck that. ;)

Not watched the game in years, but recall Brazil never got out of 1st gear as they were clearly playing for the draw to avoid winning the group and playing Argentina and Maradona in the next round (Criag Brown talks about it in his after dinner circuit act)

Edited by wanderer

Murdo McLeod talked about his substitution there, it was Roxburgh's biggest mistake of the night. Roy Aitken was having a great game in defence and when Murdo went off he moved him to midfield bringing on Gary Gillespie instead of Gary McAllister. The team didn't look the same afterwards.

I was raging at Paul McStay prior to Brazil's goal, he could've played McCoist through on a run on goal but turned back and ultimately we lost possession. McLeish spectating the rebound didn't go down well either.

I was in the midst of exams at uni so had no chance of going to the finals. Watched it with a bunch of mates at my pal's house, I mind running out the room to celebrate when MoJo had the chance at the end, couldn't believe it wasn't a goal.

Afterwards it was a case of get the calculators out, the boys laughed at me when I suggested South Korea might get a draw with Uruguay. How close we came :(

Couldnt get a ticket and watched the game on a small foodstall's TV right outside the stadium with a few others

How my pals were raging when a young brazilian girl with huge knockers wanted to swop tops with me and i refused

It would never have fitted me and i would have had to make the journey back to the south of france topless

As i had went to the Sweden game in my socks after my espadrilles fell off chasing our big Saltire that had fell onto the station platform as the train moved off i had my wits about me .....

Couldnt get a ticket and watched the game on a small foodstall's TV right outside the stadium with a few others

How my pals were raging when a young brazilian girl with huge knockers wanted to swop tops with me and i refused

It would never have fitted me and i would have had to make the journey back to the south of france topless

As i had went to the Sweden game in my socks after my espadrilles fell off chasing our big Saltire that had fell onto the station platform as the train moved off i had my wits about me .....

south of france for us too ' antibes/juan les pins

was a long cold night in bus at night - think we didn't leave til early hours as talk of a post match party doing the rounds

this actually amounted to several hours of wandering around industrial estate in the rain ; most punters in shorts & tops

aye game was horrible , leighton made a hash of the speculative shot ; defenders weren't expecting it

we should have taken the game to them at start - as it was, shades of w germany v austria wc 82......

tbh am glad we didn't go thru on back of another result - uruguay , as we didn't deserve it over the 3 games

I was there pissed with rain all day,no drink and we came straight back after the game on a bus soaked to the skin.Apart from that and us getting beat it was a great trip as i went to all 3 games.

I was playing fitba outside in the rain as well.

Sat behind the goal Muller scored into ,sat with head

in hands for ages after getting felt Uruguay scored

in 89th minute . we were packed up before the gem so

just bombed straight through to France in the car.

Enjoyed a beer in a lovely place. Amazing rain flooded the campsite (Can't remember how we got there), but the bloke with the sunburned feet- ouch! Bought tickets easily and cheaply from a ticket agency/travel shop in Milan, along with W.Germany v Colombia at San Siro (awful game, truly dire). 15 minutes to kick off in Turin, no sign of the queue moving to get us into the stadium environs, we jumped the fence under the tolerant eyes of the polis. So near, yet so far.

Arrived in Turin early on the Monday so had 36 hours to find a ticket . Lots of Brasilians had spare tickets (tickets were sold by venue so many Scots had tickets for all Genoa games hence Saltires at Ireland v Roumania match in last 16) but were asking silly prices so I spent ages following silly leads walking out to Delli Alpi (no luck) and to old stadium (Comunale?) etc before buying from a Brasilian for a reasonable price. Left Turin very early the morning after match (was behind goal so got good view of Leighton and McLeish ballsup) on train with a lot of other Scots knowing that we might still get through (I was only travelling to southern France so would have turned back if we`d got through) . Seem to remember next round would have been in Bari which was a long way at a time when air travel was still considered expensive. Remember it as a good WC as the locals were really into it (was the same in Germany 2006 and EC in Portugal 2004 while French hardly seemed to notice there was a WC in 1998 till about the semis so don`t know what next year will be like with or without us).

I was playing fitba outside in the rain as well.

Sat behind the goal Muller scored into ,sat with head

in hands for ages after getting felt Uruguay scored

in 89th minute . we were packed up before the gem so

just bombed straight through to France in the car.

You must have sat there for a long time? The Korea v Uruguay wasn't played until the following day. And it was even worse, it was they 96th minute before they scored.

Times ,memories , we were in the car travelling back up to France.

Stopped at petrol station fur a kip and refill when we found out.

Don't think we had enough between us to even reach bari !

Great experience though ,Rapallo , genoa and Turin.

I was there pissed with rain all day,no drink and we came straight back after the game on a bus soaked to the skin.Apart from that and us getting beat it was a great trip as i went to all 3 games.

Same trip as me! Stayed in Rimini! Trip home after Brazil game was horrible - crap weather, carry out, no sleep & ferry crossing was dog rough!! Slept for about 18 hours once home.

Is there a reason why everyone seemed to stay in France or was it just a case off money was tighter for people back then?

We stayed in Rimini which was an 8 hour bus ride to the games. Was an organised package & much cheapness! France probably closer! Folk skint as well though. Out my group of home match attenders only 2 of us could afford to go - mix of students, YTS & Thatcher dolies!

Is there a reason why everyone seemed to stay in France or was it just a case off money was tighter for people back then?

Lot of package tours ; ours included was based in south of France

I always assumed better chance of cheaper accommodation as World Cup venues would be booked up ahead ; and more of a premium

Place we stayed was more of an apartment hotel

Bus from Aberdeen to Manchester ; fly to Nice

Buses to games were extra 20quid each game

2 week holiday was just over 600 quid

Including game tickets

( and Ireland v Romania ticket....,)