Would You Take A Draw In Georgia Right Now? - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Would You Take A Draw In Georgia Right Now?

McVinceSCT

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aye, I do see what you mean. It's an interesting one and I'm not sure which I'd prefer. Normally in these situations we would be hoping for a draw because they would both drop 2 points. But this is different, the one result we don't want is a draw. We only need to overtake one of them, not both, so one of them winning makes it easier to overtake the other one.

It's maybe just as well our hopes and expectations are irrelevant. :lol:

I would say that if it is a draw then Poland are certain to finish on a bare minimum 18 points and more likely than not to squeeze out at least another point here or there such as at home to Ireland. That would mean we would need a minimum of eight points from our last four games to finish above Poland. A defeat for Poland - for us is the best result as it would mean if we beat Georgia and Gibraltar away and Poland at home we have qualified without a doubt.

Also another reason a German win would be better is (assuming we concentrate on doing our part of the bargain winning in Georgia) then Ireland will still hold out remote hope of catching Poland as they (most likely) would be back to just two points behind Poland and playing them in their final fixture which is better for us for them to go to Poland with a real purpose. That group situation after the next round of matches will also ratchet the pressure up on Poland for their game against us and perhaps make them more happy to settle for a draw.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

Also another reason a German win would be better is (assuming we concentrate on doing our part of the bargain winning in Georgia) then Ireland will still hold out remote hope of catching Poland as they (most likely) would be back to just two points behind Poland and playing them in their final fixture which is better for us for them to go to Poland with a real purpose. That group situation after the next round of matches will also ratchet the pressure up on Poland for their game against us and perhaps make them more happy to settle for a draw.

I think Ireland are more likely to beat Germany at home than Poland away, although they probably wont do either.

I think Ireland are more likely to beat Germany at home than Poland away, although they probably wont do either.

They drew away with Germany. They are very hard to beat but are not going to score many. Ireland have only lost once remember. Edited by Jagtag

After Saturday's draw us Boys in Green are back being ridiculously optimistic,

If we're looking to make the play offs we're hoping for the following.

Scotland to draw with Georgia and lose to the Germans and Poles. & Ireland to beat Gibralter, Georgia and draw with Germany.or Poland.

or

Poland to lose to Scotland and Germany or get one draw and lose to the Republic of Ireland.

Any of the TA think it's remotely possible?

Georgia do look to be improving. We got a last minute goal against them. You beat them 1-0 at home and the Poles got held for over an hour with them.

I won't lie, as much as i'd like to see Scotland in France I'd love to see the Georgians draw with you. Even if you draw with the Germans we'll still be ahead of you come the final two fixtures if we beat Georgia at home.

No doubt we'd have two very difficult final fixtures but it would be good psychologically for Ireland.

Essentially we're hoping the Georgians draw with yourselves and Germany beat you and the Poles so when they arrive in Dublin in October they'll already be qualified and we'll grind out a draw which I'm confident our lads can do despite how poor we are at the moment. I really think it is all going to come down to final games. There are going to be all twists and turns. If you drop points in Tblisi then that's the group wide open

Scotland to draw with Georgia and lose to the Germans and Poles. & Ireland to beat Gibralter, Georgia and draw with Germany.or Poland.

or

Poland to lose to Scotland and Germany or get one draw and lose to the Republic of Ireland.

Well we can't chuck it all away for you if that is what you are hoping.

By that I mean that we will get a bare minimum (and that is being pessimistic) of four points more. Definitely three in Gibraltar and being as pessimistic as I can be then only a point from three games away to Georgia and home games to Poland and Germany. Now that isn't going to happen but that is the best Ireland can hope for. This would put us on a total of fifteen points and Ireland then even conceding you win against Gibraltar (a certainty) and Georgia (likely) would also put you on fifteen which would still not be enough as we are ahead on head-to-head. So you'd need to get at least a point at home to Germany or away to Poland. Unlikely scenario I'd say.

Accept a draw in Georgia?

You for real?

Aree 100%.

Ireland, Germany and Poland have won in tiblisi.

No three points in September would let the irish back into the race for 3rd.

We must win in tiblisi if we want to qualify.

Edited by Robroysboy

The group is still very much open IMO. I was surprised to see so many of your pundits completely writing you boys off after Saturday. Consider this for next two games.

Germany - Poland - Draw

Georgia - Scotland - Scotland

Gib - Ireland - Ireland

Scotland - Germany - Germany

Ireland - Georgia - Ireland

Poland - Gib - Poland

Would have the table looking like this for the top 4:

Poland 18

Germany 17

Ireland 15

Scotland 14

Don't get me wrong Poland are capable of beating Germany and vice-versa. We are capable of getting a point against Germany. We are also capable of dropping points in Georgia, but I think this scenario is not outwith the realms of possibility and that's why I'm not getting carried away.

The huge downside for you boys is that you then finish against Germany and Poland......we have a home game with Poland....and then a banker in the final match.

That's the main reason I'm more confident of getting 3rd......but I use that term in the very loosest sense.

I'll say it again, this group is one game at a time for all 4 of us.......anyone thinking they are already there would be very foolish IMO

I think against ireland defeat was very much a possibility therefore many people would have taken the draw, plus the fact that if we were to lose, one of our rivals would gain 3 points on us. In this case I can't see us being beaten and anything but a win is points dropped.

The group is still very much open IMO. I was surprised to see so many of your pundits completely writing you boys off after Saturday. Consider this for next two games.

Germany - Poland - Draw

Georgia - Scotland - Scotland

Gib - Ireland - Ireland

Scotland - Germany - Germany

Ireland - Georgia - Ireland

Poland - Gib - Poland

Would have the table looking like this for the top 4:

Poland 18

Germany 17

Ireland 15

Scotland 14

Don't get me wrong Poland are capable of beating Germany and vice-versa. We are capable of getting a point against Germany. We are also capable of dropping points in Georgia, but I think this scenario is not outwith the realms of possibility and that's why I'm not getting carried away.

The huge downside for you boys is that you then finish against Germany and Poland......we have a home game with Poland....and then a banker in the final match.

That's the main reason I'm more confident of getting 3rd......but I use that term in the very loosest sense.

I'll say it again, this group is one game at a time for all 4 of us.......anyone thinking they are already there would be very foolish IMO

Our pundits on Raidio Teilifis Eireann (our national broadcaster) are the most negative you'll ever come across. When we drew with Germany away you'd swear we lost away to San Marino the way they went on

or

Nope, you're ####ed.

Hi guys, following the "would you take a draw" debate we had for the game in Ireland, i thought it would be interesting to have the same for the Georgia game. It looks like some people are affraid to lose, and some others are confident we'll win, but nobody's really speaking about a draw.

So, would you take a draw right now?

With all due respect, that's a bit of a daft post. It's pretty obvious that a draw in Dublin on the back of the win at Parkhead was a good result for Scotland and certainly a better result for Scotland than it was for Ireland. However, if we'd won in Dublin it would have all but ended Ireland's hopes, so there you have a bit of a conundrum and a healthy debate.

A draw in Tbilisi hands a bit of a lifeline to Ireland and gives advantage to Poland and Germany who have already got 3 points being there. No conundrum, no debate - we have to beat Georgia.

or

Definitely possible. It remains a very tight group. Although I'd obviously prefer to be in our position and have it in our own hands.

Edited by Goozay