If We Do End Up In The Play-Offs... - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

If We Do End Up In The Play-Offs...

liviloyal

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I'm correct and assuming Germany win the other 3 games then we have to beat them by more than 2-1 as they would be top due to head to head goal difference but I could be wrong

If we beat them 1-0, then the away goal means that we win the head to head with them. But, as you say, that would only matter if we finish on the same numbers of points as them.

Exactly this...... If we do finish 3rd i reckon we would be best runners up anyhow. Looking at the fixtures that Hungary have i would fancie us to overtake them back into automatic spot

Unfortunately you're showing a severe lack of understanding as to how the whole 'Best 3rd Place Team' system works.

It's now almost impossible for us to finish as the best 3rd place team - most likely that will come from Group A or possibly Group C or Group G.

Looking at the best 3rd places I would say that it will come from either our group or the Dutch group.

I agree with you that the Dutch group looks very feasible but I don't see us being in the mix. It could be from our group but not us - if that makes sense. (If we finished level with Poland on 20 points for example, Poland could be the best 3rd place team.)

Basically, as things stand, it's statistically almost impossible for us to get a low enough points total to finish 3rd in the group but a high enough points total to be the best 3rd place team.

Cliché I know but let’s take every game as it comes, you can only beat who is in front of you, there are no easy games in international football, it’s a funny old game etc….

The chances of getting best 3rd place are quite slim.

We only have 3 games left that count - Georgia away, Germany and Poland at home.

Two of the groups have 4 games left and much more favourable fixtures.

Edited by tartanpar

The chances of getting best 3rd place are quite slim.

We only have 3 games left that count - Georgia away, Germany and Poland at home.

Two of the groups have 4 games left and much more favourable fixtures.

I'm not sure what you mean by the last sentence?

Basically, as things stand, it's statistically almost impossible for us to get a low enough points total to finish 3rd in the group but a high enough points total to be the best 3rd place team.

Beat Georgia, Germany, Gibralter, 2-2 draw with Poland?

Edited by davew

Our game v Gibraltar won't count in the table for best 3rd place and two teams currently third have already played the pot 6 team twice. The max number of points we can add is 9 and if we done that we would qualify anyway.

Our game v Gibraltar won't count in the table for best 3rd place and two teams currently third have already played the pot 6 team twice. The max number of points we can add is 9 and if we done that we would qualify anyway.

Beat Georgia, Germany, Gibralter, 2-2 draw with Poland?

So, if those were our results AND Germany beat Poland, we'd finish 3rd on 21 points? And we'd also need none of the other 3rd place teams to match that. Then we'd be the best 3rd place team. As I said previously, so unlikely that it's almost impossible.

Just to clarify it's the team who finish in 6th place that don't have their results count, not necessarily the Pot 6 team (as the Faroes are currently illustrating)...

Edited by Toepoke

But the whole 3rd place table thing can change completely, so a team can vanish from it by moving either up or down in their own group and be replaced by a different team with a completely different number of games played and points total. Or a team could lose/gain up to six points by the bottom team in their group changing. So the fact that some of the teams currently in that table have played the current sixth place team in their group twice is a bit irrelevant.

You were speaking as if it were simply a league of the nine teams currently in that table by saying that some of the teams still have four games to play. Irrelevant statement I'm afraid. Infact, having a table of third place teams drawn up at all is irrelevant until such a point as a team is guaranteed to finish in exactly 3rd spot in their group. Otherwise it's more misleading than helpful as is proving to be the case here judging by several of the comments.

Just to clarify it's the team who finish in 6th place that don't have their results count, not necessarily the Pot 6 team (as the Faroes are currently illustrating)...

Yeah sorry I wasn't clear but in our case it will be the pot 6 team - Gibraltar

But the whole 3rd place table thing can change completely, so a team can vanish from it by moving either up or down in their own group and be replaced by a different team with a completely different number of games played and points total. Or a team could lose/gain up to six points by the bottom team in their group changing. So the fact that some of the teams currently in that table have played the current sixth place team in their group twice is a bit irrelevant.

You were speaking as if it were simply a league of the nine teams currently in that table by saying that some of the teams still have four games to play. Irrelevant statement I'm afraid. Infact, having a table of third place teams drawn up at all is irrelevant until such a point as a team is guaranteed to finish in exactly 3rd spot in their group. Otherwise it's more misleading than helpful as is proving to be the case here judging by several of the comments.

I know it can change but I stand by my original comment that we would be unlikely to be best 3rd place.

If we do have to go through the play offs, I hope the away game is on the weekend, as I have no holidays left!,!

Need to keep the points up for guaranteed finals tickets....

I hope so too. It will be up to UEFA to set the dates unfortunately. They will be Thursday/Sunday, Friday/Monday or Saturday/Tuesday. I am not sure if the seeded team is away first or not but they prob will be. I have made sure I kept 3 days left for the play off or an away friendly. Edited by tartanpar

I know it can change but I stand by my original comment that we would be unlikely to be best 3rd place.

That's what I said as well. It's almost impossible for us to be best third place team.

Your original comment was that some teams currently in third in their group have played the team currently bottom of their group twice. That is A. To be expected and B. Completely irrelevant to what we are discussing.

I hope so too. It will be up to UEFA to set the dates unfortunately. They will be Thursday/Sunday, Friday/Monday or Saturday/Tuesday. I am not sure if the seeded team is away first or not but they prob will be. I have made sure I kept 3 days left for the play off or an away friendly.

You're gonna miss a game when we qualify and go away for 2 friendly games in a warm weather camp!