Germany In September - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Germany In September

Tartan_Wolf

I might be grasping at straws... but what is the chances of Germany switching off a little in September?

Here is my thinking:

They play a tough game against Poland at home on the 4th at 20:45, then have to fly over for a 20:45 KO in Scotland.

How many players will be thinking about getting back to their club? If they beat Poland they'll view the group as there's. Might be the edge we need to take a point - based on this weekend's performance -or more if we improve?

Either way, seems like a small advantage to Scotland.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No chance of the Germans switching off, they've dropped five points already and can't afford any more right now.

Exactly and when do the Germans ever switch off in key games? It doesn't happen. And I am not just talking about this campaign - it is burnt into their psyche and has been that way in their national football side for as long as I can remember. If we want anything from that match we'll have to earn it.

I was just about the ask the same thing

Yeah 7:45. Was just looking on the Uefa fixture list which is on European time.

Exactly and when do the Germans ever switch off in key games? It doesn't happen. And I am not just talking about this campaign - it is burnt into their psyche and has been that way in their national football side for as long as I can remember. If we want anything from that match we'll have to earn it.

Across the last 18 months, I can see 6 results which look like Germany not being switch on. Also aren't Germany known for starting a little slow in qualifiers? (by their standards) They might be the best in the world - but no team plays 100% their best, 100% of the time.

Could have just stopped this thread there.

Well it would be a short post if I just said "grasping at straws". Almost as pointless as your contribution.

Across the last 18 months, I can see 6 results which look like Germany not being switch on. Also aren't Germany known for starting a little slow in qualifiers? (by their standards) They might be the best in the world - but no team plays 100% their best, 100% of the time.

Okay let me put this another way. Germany ALWAYS qualify automatically and if we pick anything up off them after they have maybe slipped up in Poland or even if they win against them then points dropped against us would jeopardise automatic qualification. That just doesn't happen with the German national team.

The fact they've started slow and dropped the five points to Poland and Ireland is exactly the reason why Germany won't switch off when they come to Hampden. Not to say we can't take anything from them but it'll be bloody difficult to state the obvious.

Okay let me put this another way. Germany ALWAYS qualify automatically and if we pick anything up off them after they have maybe slipped up in Poland or even if they win against them then points dropped against us would jeopardise automatic qualification. That just doesn't happen with the German national team.

Sure I remember Germany being in the play offs a few years back no?

Not that fussed about the Germany game. It's a likely loss for everyone, if we nick something, great. But the real match of that pair is the Georgia one. It's a must win in what can be a tough place to go. As long as we go there to win, I think we'll be fine.. we're much better when we're on the front foot and going at people. if we're careful and cautious and try for 1-0 then we might find ourselves in trouble.

Ireland are still well in this for me. They will have 15 points after the September fixtures whilst we could conceivably drop points v Georgia away and Germany at home. Then it's in Roi's hands. On a given day they might sneak a win v Germany at home and that would be curtains for us.The more you look at it was definitely 2 points dropped on Saturday

The focus for September has to be beating Georgia - that's where 2008 campaign went wrong and it won't be a walkover. Anything from Germany is a bonus and the Poland game could be absolutely massive if other results go as expected.

And it's Poland v Republic of Ireland the night we play Gibraltar too.

Ireland are still well in this for me. They will have 15 points after the September fixtures whilst we could conceivably drop points v Georgia away and Germany at home. Then it's in Roi's hands. On a given day they might sneak a win v Germany at home and that would be curtains for us.The more you look at it was definitely 2 points dropped on Saturday

You can clearly say if, if, if and come up with various scenarios but fact is we're in a great position to finish at least third. We'll beat Gibraltar so four points from Georgia, Poland and Germany puts us nine clear of Ireland. Given we have the head-to-head, they'd need 10 to catch us - effectively four points from their own matches with Germany and Poland and there's little to suggest they're good enough to do that.

I actually think we'll have a real wobble in September - draw in Georgia, lose to Germany but win the last two in October. And whether we're second or third will come down to Poland v Ireland on the last day.

You can clearly say if, if, if and come up with various scenarios but fact is we're in a great position to finish at least third. We'll beat Gibraltar so four points from Georgia, Poland and Germany puts us nine clear of Ireland. Given we have the head-to-head, they'd need 10 to catch us - effectively four points from their own matches with Germany and Poland and there's little to suggest they're good enough to do that.

I actually think we'll have a real wobble in September - draw in Georgia, lose to Germany but win the last two in October. And whether we're second or third will come down to Poland v Ireland on the last day.

Plus if people suggest Ireland will take points off Germany and Poland then that pulls those sides back into our clutches as well.

Folk are worried about georgia away and rightly so but our players will be fresh as its the start of the season I know the same applies to georgia but I believe we are the better team .just thought Saturday was a typical end of season game and we will look a while lot different when September comes

Yeah 7:45. Was just looking on the Uefa fixture list which is on European time.

Well it would be a short post if I just said "grasping at straws". Almost as pointless as your contribution.

A pointless contribution to a pointless thread.