Anyone Think The Champions League Is Boring - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Anyone Think The Champions League Is Boring

bonny78

Absolutely.. barely even follow the results in the CL anymore. It's the same teams playing each other every year, by and large, and I dislike each one of the big clubs about equally.

When you look at Barcelona or Real Madrid's striking options, it's just insane. Those players should be the leading player on one team each, and there should be a far bigger pool of European teams with aspirations of making it to the top.

No its been good this year, Juve providing something different and a reinvigorated Barca team who are quality. Going to be a cracking final.

Although I am more buzzing for Ireland next week

Dont know why they bother with the group stages, the last 16 is nearly the same every year

As someone has said. It's money. I'd be happy to do what it used to be and just the champions of each league. Then the Europa could be 2nd and 3rd from each league. There is no way that rewarding a ream for finishing 4-7th is good at all.

Personally I think it's great. If it's boring because it's the same teams challenging every year, tell me what league doesn't just have 2/3 teams competing for the title. The fact that barca hasn't won it for 4 years & no team has won 2 in a row shows not that predictable. Also 7 different winners in last 10 years ain't bad

As someone has said. It's money. I'd be happy to do what it used to be and just the champions of each league. Then the Europa could be 2nd and 3rd from each league. There is no way that rewarding a ream for finishing 4-7th is good at all.

Should bring back the Cup Winners Cup.

I only really pay attention to both forms of European competition when Scottish teams are involved, lose interest after that.

Really enjoyed seeing Rangers and Celtic in the CL Last 16 and also that year Aberdeen played Bayern Munich.

Otherwise I haven't really got much to go on as I'm only 22, don't remember the ultimate glory days.

I enjoyed the final. Barca play like a 5 aside team, pass and move, ball hardly ever above head height, always options available to the guy with the ball, good close control. I wouldn't say I find it boring although it doesn't really get interesting until about the quarters. I don't find watching great players playing great football as boring. I'd rather watch a game where skill is on display as opposed to watching a game where guys that are paid to play football can't pass or cross or can only kick the ball with one foot.

Personally I think it's great. If it's boring because it's the same teams challenging every year, tell me what league doesn't just have 2/3 teams competing for the title. The fact that barca hasn't won it for 4 years & no team has won 2 in a row shows not that predictable. Also 7 different winners in last 10 years ain't bad

All 7 from the top 4 richest football nations and it would be very surprising if anyone out with those 7 teams wins it again, if it happens it will be for one of two reasons, a club finds itself a billionaire or a complete fluke. The fact that barca have won four of the last 10 means it is predictable.

There was a time when European premier competition could be won by a much much larger pool of teams, it had prestige and it was a novelty, now that pool of teams is down to about 8 at most. The group stages are a massive borefest because the outcome of each group is more or less set because of seedlings. Sure you might get the odd victory for the likes of Celtic winning against barca but ultimately Celtic go out and barca will progress to the latter stages.

Even the last 16 is quite boring, the last 8 is where it gets quite intense because the super rich clubs finally have a challenge from another super rich club. These super clubs have the best talent in the world which means the "pretty" football they play will continue to attract the arm chair fan even though most of the games screened are pish.

With these clubs getting stronger and stronger every year they will only ever have the odd year of transition till they return to the top of the European tree. Unless there is an overhaul of the European cup we will see the same super clubs dominate this competition whilst domestic tournaments are devalued.

As for your comment on domestic leagues being predictable, well it's for the same reasons as above, the super rich clubs dominate because of their vast wealth compared with the rest of their leagues, where do they get that vast wealth.......the champions league and its TV money. Just because leagues are now all as predictable as each other does not make it right. At least Scotland was first at something, we were the first to allow such a gap to be created between a couple of big clubs and the rest.........although it's just one club now.

Agree with what your saying.all I was saying was if the champ league is boring because it's predictable then I think every league /comp is boring as don't know what league get many surprise winners . even the wild cup. They may have the odd surprise package get through the groups. But it's the usual suspects in the final . Tbh I like cl because off the sheer quality off player and skill on show.i also find the championship one off the best leagues to watch because it's so hard to predict.

Yes. Uefa, or more specifically the boards of the 'big' European clubs, took over club football and basically rigged it to make themselves rich. Football stopped being competitive after that. Same thing happened 'domestically'. Quite why there was never any fans revolt over this is strange. Football fans meekly accepted this biased new order. The glory hunters loved it of course.

I'd rather watch paint dry than watch the 'Champions' League and I'm a football fan. There are many people who hold the same view. Yet the media tell us all of Europe gets excited over this glass-ceiling tournament. Do they?

I love it. Watching the worlds best players going at it, usually produces some cracking games along the way.

In fact I would say the Dortmund v Real games from a couple of seasons ago where Lewandowski got four might be the best I've ever seen