England 2018 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Neither will lose the WC's and neither should they.

Qatar should never in a million years been awarded the World Cup and if there's an opportunity to take it away, i.e. it's finally proven they won it by corruption and bribery, then they should lose it. We're having to bend over backwards to justify them hosting it by moving to November-December because the climate is unsuitable when the remit always was based on June & July. Australia should've been given that tournament, they have the stadiums (one or two might need upgraded but not at as huge an expense), the infrastructure and are welcoming to all types of groups. Qatar tick none of those boxes.

Can not see Russia being stripped of the World Cup just a couple of months before the draw is made.

Qatar there is a slim chance (might be some kind of investigation) but ultimately there will probably be compensation or something needed to be given as a result.

English media are just clutching at straws in hope as they just can not except that their bid was not good enough........ Russian bid is/was probably dodgy, but it never needed to be in the first place (large European football nation that has never held a tournament of any kind.... while England have had 2), its just because the Qatar bid was so dodgy to start with that gave them the fuel to say the Russian one was as well.

If Australia had won 2022 then we probably would never have heard another word about this.

Qatar should never in a million years been awarded the World Cup and if there's an opportunity to take it away, i.e. it's finally proven they won it by corruption and bribery, then they should lose it. We're having to bend over backwards to justify them hosting it by moving to November-December because the climate is unsuitable when the remit always was based on June & July. Australia should've been given that tournament, they have the stadiums (one or two might need upgraded but not at as huge an expense), the infrastructure and are welcoming to all types of groups. Qatar tick none of those boxes.

Qatar were awarded a contract and have spent billions of pounds fulfilling it. Even if there was scope to void the contracts (which i'm sure i read there isn't) then i'd question the value in doing so.

The funniest part of the conversation (not by you) is talk of awarding it to England. Yeah, England who bribed folk for votes should get it. Good one :lol:

Qatar were awarded a contract and have spent billions of pounds fulfilling it. Even if there was scope to void the contracts (which i'm sure i read there isn't) then i'd question the value in doing so.

Just because they've spent billions building their massive white elephants isn't a good enough reason to allow them to host a competition they 'won' through corruption.

If FIFA is ever going to have any credibility again, the awarding of these World Cups needs to be looked at again.

If any wrongdoing is found, then at the least the bidding process should be reopened.

Remember the original bid was for a summer World Cup.

Hundreds of workers have already died over there - I've seen the desert ghettos they have to live in, then get bussed out enmasse every day to be worked to death in blistering heat.

I don't think, if they won the competition under dubious circumstances, the deaths of possibly thousands more can be accepted just because they've already spent a few bob. Contracts gan be gotten out of, surely.

I admit I've got a bee in my bonnet about Qatar, but I also think there are plenty valid reasons why they should not get the World Cup

I'm probably in the few that didn't have great issue with Russia getting the World Cup. A Country as powerful and wealthy as they are with a proven track record of hosting huge events(Champions League Final, Olympics etc) didn't really cause me to shout "fix" from the rooftops. As someone said previously, they've never hosted a World Cup yet(including as part of the USSR) have a decent history in the competition. They have several World class stadiums in place/progress with relatively decent transport systems between the host Cities.

Qatar is a whole different ball game. The finance is there, but under no circumstances should they have got a World Cup ahead of the likes of Australia.

Just because they've spent billions building their massive white elephants isn't a good enough reason to allow them to host a competition they 'won' through corruption.

If FIFA is ever going to have any credibility again, the awarding of these World Cups needs to be looked at again.

If any wrongdoing is found, then at the least the bidding process should be reopened.

Remember the original bid was for a summer World Cup.

Hundreds of workers have already died over there - I've seen the desert ghettos they have to live in, then get bussed out enmasse every day to be worked to death in blistering heat.

I don't think, if they won the competition under dubious circumstances, the deaths of possibly thousands more can be accepted just because they've already spent a few bob. Contracts gan be gotten out of, surely.

I admit I've got a bee in my bonnet about Qatar, but I also think there are plenty valid reasons why they should not get the World Cup

I don't agree that Qatar should've won the 2022 WC. However, they've been awarded it and are well underway to delivering it.

I think it's important to keep in mind that not only Qatar were handing out gifts and bribes. The whole bidding process was rotten and while Qatar may be more guilty than others, they are not the only guilty ones.

The whole bidding process was rotten and while Qatar may be more guilty than others, they are not the only guilty ones.

I agree with that.

Which is why I think FIFA either needs disbanded, or stripped down and sorted out - it's had a culture of corruption for far too long.

Blatter going is great. But for the organisation to have any credibility it needs investigated thoroughly, and the bidding processes should be reopened if any corruption is found.

It won't happen though. As you say, it will probably go ahead in Qatar. Money is more important than a few thousand brown lives, sadly

On a slight tangent, I could possible have gotten onboard with a 'gulf state' World Cup or something like that, if it was bidding, and won, on a ticket of a winter World Cup - that would sound pretty exciting (if they could get over the visa restrictions etc), but to hold the whole event in Qatar just seems mental to me!

It's not unprecedented for a nation to win the rights to host a World Cup then lose it - Colombia should've hosted the '86 tournament but was taken from them then given to Mexico three years beforehand. Yes the circumstances were different (I understand from reading wiki that Colombia withdrew due to economic reasons) but it proves it's not too late to take the tournament away from Qatar. There have already been 1200 killed because of the appalling working conditions, how many more in the next seven years?

Not got an issue with Russia hosting it, they're a massive country with the infrastructure to host such an event. Qatar is a fifth the population of Scotland, they don't have the capability.

Columbia was a different kettle of fish..... back them wasn't it a case of the next 3/4 tournaments were announced something like 15 years previously or something (ie Germany, Argentina, Spain and Columbia were all announced at the same time) and it was them who let the tournament go (rather than stripped of it) because of a earthquake that had happened and all the money put aside for the tournament was needed to get the country back on its feet.

Also think the voting system was different back then..... ie recall reading something that Italy were in for WC82, but Spain said if they pulled out they would support a Italy 1990 bid, and Italy got another vote by saying if France do not bid for 1990, they would support a 1998 WC bid by France.

Edited by wanderer

I don't agree that Qatar should've won the 2022 WC. However, they've been awarded it and are well underway to delivering it.

I think it's important to keep in mind that not only Qatar were handing out gifts and bribes. The whole bidding process was rotten and while Qatar may be more guilty than others, they are not the only guilty ones.

in your eyes. England played the game and handed out gifts they bribed no one, unless you can cite some specific evidence ?

Is it not a case that Qatar offered the bigger bribes rather than being more guilty?? Also, this nonsense of giving the 2018 WC to England is laughable considering their attempt at bribery was not good enough!!

again evidence please and the watches were not bribes

in your eyes. England played the game and handed out gifts they bribed no one, unless you can cite some specific evidence ?

Funding football schools in the Caribbean and taking a England team out to play Trinidad and Tobago to win over a certain ex-FIFA official..............

two reasons why qatar should be stripped of the WC. 1. how many more foreign workers have to die becuase qatar has the contract and they have started building ? 2. they bid to host in the summer, they cant their bid lied. regardless of bribes those two reasons alone are enough to strip them

Someone has forgotten the end of season friendly in T&T :lol:

A bribe through the backdoor, we could call that one.

Funding football schools in the Caribbean and taking a England team out to play Trinidad and Tobago to win over a certain ex-FIFA official..............

Can you point to the FA paying any money directly to Jack Warner ? I would presume that the FA supports a number of charitable causes if I had to pick one id pick the one that not only helped kids somewhere but helped my bid thats just common sense. And yes they were trying to convince Jack Warner to vote for them and its whay England played out there but thats not bribery. If they had bribed him he would have voted for them !!!!

Someone has forgotten the end of season friendly in T&T :lol:

A bribe through the backdoor, we could call that one.

See last post . Care to comment on how many more people have to die because qatar has the contract ?

Can you point to the FA paying any money directly to Jack Warner ? I would presume that the FA supports a number of charitable causes if I had to pick one id pick the one that not only helped kids somewhere but helped my bid thats just common sense. And yes they were trying to convince Jack Warner to vote for them and its whay England played out there but thats not bribery. If they had bribed him he would have voted for them !!!!

What England did was not bribery to get what they want, but more a sense of "we scratch your back and you scratch ours when the vote comes around".

Warner I believe voted for Russia in the end as their "gifts" to him where probably more of a personal nature, while Englands was more to appear as doing good, but the basis was still the same trying to sweeten Warner when it came to who he voted for on the day.

Edited by wanderer

By their very nature, until exposed, bribes are secret affairs.

See last post . Care to comment on how many more people have to die because qatar has the contract ?

Wooooaaahhhhh there.

Who's excusing or justifying deaths of people?