Making A Will - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

A good Scotland supporting friend of mine suffered the tragic loss of his wife at the weekend.

The only positive I can take from it, is it's gave me a shake and made me realise I need to sort a will out as I don't have one in place just now.

I have a house, a wife and a son and if something were to happen (cause now I realise that it can happen) I would want to make sure they're covered.

So a step into the unknown for me - who do I approach? (a solicitor I presume? And if so can anyone recommend one?) What can I expect to pay? And any other info would be appreciated.

It's definitely worth doing & although solicitors are a bit more expensive than will writing companies, you get a lot more protection for your money & probably a better service.

Most solicitors will offer 'mirror' wills as well for a standard price, whereby you & your wife effectively have the same will but in reverse if you fundamentally have the same wishes (as in what goes to kids, grandkids, the dogs home, etc.).

Edit to add that one thing I got done as well when my kids were little was to spell out what should happen to them if the two of us died but the kids survived. Fortunately it never proved necessary but we had concerns at the time about who could end up with care of them & it put our minds at rest.

Edited by Huddersfield

Does everything not go to your wife anyway

If there's no will it causes a lot of delay. My brother died last November and his estate has still not been sorted out.

A good Scotland supporting friend of mine suffered the tragic loss of his wife at the weekend.

The only positive I can take from it, is it's gave me a shake and made me realise I need to sort a will out as I don't have one in place just now.

I have a house, a wife and a son and if something were to happen (cause now I realise that it can happen) I would want to make sure they're covered.

So a step into the unknown for me - who do I approach? (a solicitor I presume? And if so can anyone recommend one?) What can I expect to pay? And any other info would be appreciated.

post office has a pack for 3.99 im getting one today ill let you know how i get on. cant be that hard !!

My Mum and Dad had they "Mirror" wills that someone mentioned as they both left everything to each other, it actually caused more hassle to sort stuff out when my Dad passed away than if he / they hadn't had one - So I wouldn't bother with a will if you are leaving everything to your spouse anyway.

What I do have is a "Living Will" and I'd definitely recommend one of those, basically I don't fear being dead, but I do fear being left paralysed in event of illness / injury - My Living Will gives instruction to family / Doctors of what to do in certain scenarios

It cost me £50 from a Solicitors office about 10 years ago

depends the value of your estate, and if you want to ensure you avoid inheritance tax

although you avoid the IT by this going to wife, this might roll the problem onto her - you might want to bequeeth inheritance straight to children with life rent etc.

my father died intestate and we avoided IT due to being a farm

although we had to pay an insurance due to being intestate, in case some other parties should have been due inheritance, adn htey paid out to us

Effectively you need to consider tax planning, espeically due to the high price increase on houses

I should really be doing this as well

It's definitely worth doing & although solicitors are a bit more expensive than will writing companies, you get a lot more protection for your money & probably a better service.

Most solicitors will offer 'mirror' wills as well for a standard price, whereby you & your wife effectively have the same will but in reverse if you fundamentally have the same wishes (as in what goes to kids, grandkids, the dogs home, etc.).

Edit to add that one thing I got done as well when my kids were little was to spell out what should happen to them if the two of us died but the kids survived. Fortunately it never proved necessary but we had concerns at the time about who could end up with care of them & it put our minds at rest.

Similar reasons here - we wanted to be sure that my laddie would be brought up by the couple we wanted if we both keeled over before he got to 18.

If we had keeled over the money would have gone into a trust and we left a wee document with the will highlighting what type of things we thought suitable to be paid out of the trust by the trustees on his behalf (extra costs for folk taking him in, university costs, world travel before it became known as a gap year, etc.) before what was left would be paid out to him at 21. All a bit mature for a daftie like me! Definitely worth thinking of doing if you have weans.

I used Caledonian Will Services which is run by a lad I know that goes to Scotland games, home and away - he's on here sometimes but I won't embarrass him. Was pretty straightforward and even though it did feel a wee bit morbid, it was nice to talk it through with someone I felt I trusted. Happy to have it done just for that wee bit peace of mind.

Not sure what the benefits are of going to a solicitor or indeed whether the Post Office pack is enough cover??

TT

Just make sure you do it correctly, don't go cheap and get something wrong, as the only time your family will know it's wrong it'll be too late.

If you have a family its worth considering life assurance too, as leaving people named to look after your kids with no funds isn't brilliant either.

If my wife and I die my sister will look after the kids and will have over £1m in trust to do so.

depends the value of your estate, and if you want to ensure you avoid inheritance tax

although you avoid the IT by this going to wife, this might roll the problem onto her - you might want to bequeeth inheritance straight to children with life rent etc.

The nil rate band is now transferrable so not lost on first death. Survivor gets use of any unused portion on second deat.

In my will I want a clause that leaves all my debts to charity, and another that states that my ashes are packed into an RPG and fired at the Tattiedome (I have spent most of my life hoping some fecker blows it up, so I might as well have a go at it, when I am deid)

Edited by Grumpyauldgit

She single by only chance ,how's yer car brakes ?

Well we have a mutual understanding car brake wise, as if anything happened to her I get a similar sum to make sure I can bring the kids up okay, with, other than losing their mum, no negative effect in lifestyle.

As a good communist I'm a Unite member and I'm sure they can arrange wills free of charge for members - I just haven't been arsed but it's something I need to sort.

Edit: http://www.unitetheunion.org/how-we-help/legalservices/freewillwritingservice/

Thanks for the heads-up, I've just checked, and my union (Prospect) offer the same service

Thanks for the heads-up, I've just checked, and my union (Prospect) offer the same service

Happy to help, com rade :wink2:.

Edit: I had to edit as 'com rade' changes to 'arsepiece' for reasons best known to the mods :lol:.

Edited by Charlie Endell

Just make sure you do it correctly, don't go cheap and get something wrong, as the only time your family will know it's wrong it'll be too late.

If you have a family its worth considering life assurance too, as leaving people named to look after your kids with no funds isn't brilliant either.

If my wife and I die my sister will look after the kids and will have over £1m in trust to do so.

I agree with this. A Will isn't something you want done on the cheap. Get an expert involved - some law firms won't do them because it's more complex and time cosuming that most folk think. As regards life assurance - this is essentially what looks after your family once your gone.....so get that sorted too.

Rule of thumb - if you die, will your wife & kids be financially worse off than they are now ? If the answer if yes, you need to take out more life cover. For most people, its as simple as that.

Agree about setting up a will as well - even if everything goes to your spouse, dying intestate (ie without a will) takes much much longer to settle than it does with a will. The last thing you want is your family to have to wait months before anything gets paid out.

This link might help you.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/family/free-cheap-wills

Me and the wife are in the process of writing our first wills for when she falls doon the stairs. We opted for Which magazine - cost £50 for the two of us and gives you access to their team of lawyers for a month - nae bad - but be quick as the offers expires at the end of this month.

http://willsoffers.which.co.uk/mls