Boston Bomber - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

it was a federal case. Mass doesn't have death sentence. Not sure I understand how the state is not fighting federal in how one of its citizens is being treated against state law. Odd

Federal law trumps state law.

Don't agree with the death penalty. Numerous studies show it doesn't work as a deterrent and actually costs more than imprisoning someone for life because of all the appeals. Being in jail for good would be more of a punishment than execution in my view.

Having said all of that, at least in this case, they definitely have the right guy.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I think that the argument about miscarriage of justice, whilst significant, is not the key issue. For me it is one of social contract & judgement of the kind of society we want to create for ourselves as citizens.

Proponents of capital punishment can fairly easily trawl the press to find the most outrageous crimes imagineable and it's an easy hit to say flick a switch (literally or metaphorically) & remove them as a problem. But we have to ask is vengeance a character trait we want of ourselves (it is our society, we create it), and is it appropriate to take the life of people who have ended up doing something for reasons, in truth, that nne of us fully understand.

I am not for a minute trying to justify heinous crimes, but why would someone commit the crimes listed above? It seems to be a no-brainer to start from the point that these are not people of sound mind in one way or another, so...

Were they born that way? If so, we execute for a birth defect.

Were they damaged some way in childhood? If so we execute for the failings of others.

Have they become ill? If so, we execute for reasons we don't even understand.

Have they become damaged through ideological grooming, political, sexual, etc.? If so, we execute for our own failings as a society & incapacity to address those vulnerabilities.

You can continue to expand that list as almost every 'right up there' crime has origins and causes that are complex, and it's morally bankrupt to say that it was just a choice they made so let's waste them to pretend it was just something they woke up one day & decided to do.

Kriss Strachan (17) rapes a 91 year old woman

Forced way into her home

Punched her repeatedly

Tried to strangle her

Raped her

Left her with an STD

The wee old woman who was previously independent is now reliant on others, cannot live on her own and wishes she was dead

The choice

Sentenced to 12 years and probably out in 6

or

Injection and removed from society forever

Not that difficult is it ?

Can their not be some sort of in between like a much longer prison sentence rather than murdering him, or does it have to be one or the other?

Guest flumax

Will never support death sentence in any circumstance as there is no chance for rehabilitation. It is not about punishment (the convict will not know that they're dead). It's all about revenge.

Glad we have the right to life to protect us from such "justice"here

Will never support death sentence in any circumstance as there is no chance for rehabilitation. It is not about punishment (the convict will not know that they're dead). It's all about revenge.

Glad we have the right to life to protect us from such "justice"here

And what about the families of the victims ?

What about having to live the rest of their lives knowing that the scumbag that did it is still about albeit in prison ?

Rehabilitation for most crime is possible

Rehabilition for some crime is impossible and it's time people realised that - Peter Sutcliffe being a random name i pick out the air

Guest flumax

And what about the families of the victims ?

What about having to live the rest of their lives knowing that the scumbag that did it is still about albeit in prison ?

Rehabilitation for most crime is possible

Rehabilition for some crime is impossible and it's time people realised that - Peter Sutcliffe being a random name i pick out the air

killing a murderer ain't going to bring them back.

But of course I've never been in that position. However I can't see how seeing someone die would give me comfort. If I was on that position and had the choice of death or prison, I wouldn't be able to sleep knowing my choices killed someon. II'd be no better than the criminal.

Just my position, not expecting others to feel the same, but thankfully we live in a compassionate society where murder is rare.

If I was on that position and had the choice of death or prison, I wouldn't be able to sleep knowing my choices killed someon. II'd be no better than the criminal.

Just my position, not expecting others to feel the same, but thankfully we live in a compassionate society where murder is rare.

I am not saying that victims families should be able to decide. Totally no way should that be their decision

I totally accept that there is very little argument for capital punishment. After all i have been against it all my life

However i am now in the mindset that there are certain crimes where those committing them give up their right to be part of our society

It is 0.0001 % of cases where the crime committed has been so heinous that it is clear that there is no possibility of rehabilitation or allowing that person to be reintegrated back into society

But i do realise that it is impossible for there to be such legislation and maybe that is a good thing

Edited by Ally Bongo

I am not saying that victims families should be able to decide. Totally no way should that be their decision

I totally accept that there is very little argument for capital punishment. After all i have been against it all my life

However i am now in the mindset that there are certain crimes where those committing them give up their right to be part of our society

It is 0.0001 % of cases where the crime committed has been so heinous that it is clear that there is no possibility of rehabilitation or allowing that person to be reintegrated back into society

But i do realise that it it impossible for there to be such legislation and maybe that is a good thing

In your 0.0001%, would you include the folk who authorise drone strikes which kill 100s of innocent victims including women and children?

In your 0.0001%, would you include the folk who authorise drone strikes which kill 100s of innocent victims including women and children?

No for obvious reasons - but i get where you are coming from

Yes coz they are c*nts too

No for obvious reasons - but i get where you are coming from

Do you think that, the fact that they just might manage to get a few bad guys at the same time, makes the slaughter of innocent victims OK? They know that innocent folk are going to die but it doesn't stop them doing it.

Do you think that, the fact that they just might manage to get a few bad guys at the same time, makes the slaughter of innocent victims OK? They know that innocent folk are going to die but it doesn't stop them doing it.

No

I can't put it as eloquently as Huddersfield and I can't ever see a legitimate reason to take a life. How does that sit with the person administering the fatal injection/switch/noose? It's abhorrent to me on every level. I recall when McVeigh (sp) was executed and I couldn't come to terms with people revelling in his death, brought about by him causing other deaths. It's not so much about % of possible guilt for me, it just doesn't sit well on a human level.

What are you advocating?

Capital punishment for only the most heinous crimes in society however as i already accepted deciding which type of crime was and wasnt applicable is impossible - but its not wrong to wish that it was

The purpose is not wasting time and money incarcerating certain murderers/serial rapists/child killers that do not deserve to, and couldnt, be reintegrated back into society for the crimes they have committed.

Sutcliffe is an example to that i gave

Kriss Strachan (17) rapes a 91 year old woman

Forced way into her home

Punched her repeatedly

Tried to strangle her

Raped her

Left her with an STD

The wee old woman who was previously independent is now reliant on others, cannot live on her own and wishes she was dead

The choice

Sentenced to 12 years and probably out in 6

or

Injection and removed from society forever

Not that difficult is it ?

Yup well said. I would happily see that little hung.

One thing I would say about American justice is that life means life. Not a poxy 12 year sentence and out in 6 so there is possibly an argument to be made for the Boston Bomber to be given that.

That said I've no sympathy. The world will be a better place without scum like that