Happy Gothenburg Day To All Dandies - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Happy Gothenburg Day To All Dandies

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest faircity

Important day this in Aberdeen's history. This happened too....

Mark-Hateley-celebrates.jpg

Got shafted by the match officials that day too. I spot a pattern, have the audacity to challenge the old firm and pay the price.

Of the matches mentioned in this thread.

Aberdeen v Porto - they were a very good side and I don't recall anything in our ties which could be questioned. If they did bribe the referee it wasn't needed.

Not so sure on the Roma v Utd game but again I don't think there were any questionable decisions as such - was it not more of a pretty hostile atmosphere over there. Did Utd nit miss a good chance to take the lead before being overwhelmed by Roma pressure?

As for that old club in the photo in the above post - the ref bottled sending Hately off as per.

Of the matches mentioned in this thread.

Aberdeen v Porto - they were a very good side and I don't recall anything in our ties which could be questioned. If they did bribe the referee it wasn't needed.

Not so sure on the Roma v Utd game but again I don't think there were any questionable decisions as such - was it not more of a pretty hostile atmosphere over there. Did Utd nit miss a good chance to take the lead before being overwhelmed by Roma pressure?

As for that old club in the photo in the above post - the ref bottled sending Hately off as per.

Ralph Milne missed very good chance early doors and yes very hostile atmosphere mainly caused by Roma chairman claiming United players must have been on drugs in first leg which we won 2 nil. Was a good Roma side TBF with 3 of Brazil's World Cup team from 1982 and I think a few of Italy's winning team

Sure that was Willie Millers take on it when the story first broke in the mid 90's, though watching the games on Youtube, its amazing one the legs could go ahead with the fog so thick you can barely see the game.

Edited by wanderer

As a non old-firm supporting Glaswegian, I have great memories of watching Aberdeen & Dundee United (particularly seasons '83 & '84), they both came down to Glasgow with no fear whatsoever and managed to hammer both teams regularly.

Although Aberdeen did also have me bump into some of their "well dressed young chaps" at a pre-season friendly just outside Shawfield against Clyde, my mate thought they where a "bunch of poofs" (his words not mine), until that is, one of them cracked him in the jaw :lol:

Sure that was Willie Millers take on it when the story first broke in the mid 90's, though watching the games on Youtube, its amazing one the legs could go ahead with the fog so thick you can barely see the game.

Was in paddock / king St end for the game

Could barely make out beach end goals

We had little in way of any chances ; think this was the same season we struggled to 1-1 at home with Akranes of Iceland.....

Tbh we did well to keep the tie alive from first leg where it was all one way traffic

; only 2nd half was shown live on tv btw

(Semi final !)

; only 2nd half was shown live on tv btw

(Semi final !)

The 2nd leg of the semi-final the year before (away to Waterschei), had no live coverage and no highlights.....there was a Scottish cup semi-final replay on the same night and nothing at all of a Scottish club in a European semi-final was shown.... :blink::blink:

The 2nd leg of the semi-final the year before (away to Waterschei), had no live coverage and no highlights.....there was a Scottish cup semi-final replay on the same night and nothing at all of a Scottish club in a European semi-final was shown.... :blink::blink:

Correct bit disappointing not seeing the 2nd leg but in hindsight, who gave a feck, 1st leg was brilliant what a performance, destroyed them early doors, thank you Simmie ?

Correct bit disappointing not seeing the 2nd leg but in hindsight, who gave a feck, 1st leg was brilliant what a performance, destroyed them early doors, thank you Simmie ?

Amazing how Waterschei morphed into Racing Club Genk, who are now managed by Alex McLeish.

• 11 months later...
On 11 May 2015 at 11:47 AM, Al2014 said:

Was hoping my wife went into labor today for this exact reason but looking like tomorrow as planned!

Am i right in saying Aberdeen lost in European Cup semi final following year and it turned out Porto had bribed the ref?

My mate txt me at 4:50 this morning to say his missus had dropped. 

John is his middle name,after her Granda apparently :lol: