Happy Gothenburg Day To All Dandies - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Happy Gothenburg Day To All Dandies

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In all seriousness, that was quite an achievement.

Shows how much football has changed (for the worse) that the thought of Dundee United and Aberdeen beating Europe's top clubs is now the stuff of fantasy.

To be perfectly honest,the thought of any British team beating top European clubs on a regular basis is quite a fantasy.

In all seriousness, that was quite an achievement.

Shows how much football has changed (for the worse) that the thought of Dundee United and Aberdeen beating Europe's top clubs is now the stuff of fantasy.

Certainly, no club as small as Aberdeen or Dundee United will every win a European trophy again.

Even the clubs that reach Europa League finals are not really 'small clubs'...they all have budgets of millions.

Sad to think that actually.

Was a great time for Scottish football. Sadly before my time.

The 60s were unbelievable too. Can't even imagine Killie playing in the European Cup, never mind playing Real Madrid. One of the auld boys I know went to the away tie in the Bernabau.

Used to love listening to my grandads tales from Lisbon in 67. Thankfully it never persuaded me to follow Celtic!

Think Aberdeen will be last scottish side to win a European trophy in our lifetime.

Was hoping my wife went into labor today for this exact reason but looking like tomorrow as planned!

Am i right in saying Aberdeen lost in European Cup semi final following year and it turned out Porto had bribed the ref?

Was hoping my wife went into labor today for this exact reason but looking like tomorrow as planned!

Am i right in saying Aberdeen lost in European Cup semi final following year and it turned out Porto had bribed the ref?

Like Dundee United v R*ma ? Disgusting.

Good luck with the wean :ok:

Cup winners cup again. I don't think it was ever proven as such,I may be wrong.

All the best,it was my missus' birthday yesterday. Her old man was delighted she came along on the 10th so he could go out and watch the game in peace. :lol:

Sweden friendly in Stockholm few years back, me and a couple of mates used the opportunity to head down to Gothenburg.

Showed up at the ground in Dons shirts and though the place was locked up, we managed to find a open door to get into it..... taking photos and stuff and suddenly the stadiums caretaker comes running up to us looking rather annoyed, but clocked the shirts and muttered "oh, 1983.....ok, come this way" and gave us a guided tour of the stadium :ok:

RE:Porto, was it not something that the ref was found 10-15 years later to be involved in a number of matches that he had been paid to rigged, and though not proven, our game v Porto was thought to be one of them

IIRC was it not almost a case in 1984 of a Liverpool v Dundee United EC final and a Aberdeen v Man United ECWC final?

IIRC was it not almost a case in 1984 of a Liverpool v Dundee United EC final and a Aberdeen v Man United ECWC final?

Aye they were all kept apart in the semis, as were Spurs and Notts Forest in the UEFA Cup...

I didn't like Aberdeen much at the time although I do remember being pleased they won. The thing I recall most about it was how blase we were over Aberdeen beating Real Madrid. It was fully expected...

Yeap. Only a corrupt referee kept Dundee United out of the final against Liverpool, and both Aberdeen and Man U lost in the semi-final of the CWC.

we were so confident of getting past Porto that our supporters club already had a bus booked to travel to Basel for the final, and I've no doubt at all that we were a better team than Man United in 1984.

As to a dodgy referee....well that was never proven, and anyway Porto were deserved winners over the 2 legs. They were one of the best European teams I've ever seen at Pittodrie, and had some superb players that went on to make Porto one of the top clubs on the continent over the next few years.

They lost in the final that season, but that was also a great Juventus team.

we were so confident of getting past Porto that our supporters club already had a bus booked to travel to Basel for the final, and I've no doubt at all that we were a better team than Man United in 1984.

Did we not beat Man United at Old Trafford in Martin Buchans testimonial only a couple of months after Gothenburg?

Aye magic memories, was lucky to be their 32 years ago and been back a couple of times to the city since both times went down to the Ullevi and got inside with Dons top on proud as feck?

Did we not beat Man United at Old Trafford in Martin Buchans testimonial only a couple of months after Gothenburg?

No drew 2-2 after being 0-2 at HT. We'd a;ready lost friendlies against Ipswich and Arsenal and the English media were already writing Gothenburg off as a fluke. We restored a bit of pride at Old Trafford though.

Was a great time for Scottish football. Sadly before my time.

The 60s were unbelievable too. Can't even imagine Killie playing in the European Cup, never mind playing Real Madrid. One of the auld boys I know went to the away tie in the Bernabau.

Absolutely. Saints had their run in the Uefa Cup in 1971 and the favourites were SV Hamburg that year to win the whole tournament..........

...... We horsed them both home at Muirton and away in Hamburg. 3-0 at home too! The favourites dumped by a wee team from Perth. It's crazy to think of stuff like that nowadays.