Boris Johnston - Next Pm - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Boris Johnston - Next Pm

It'll be a kind of Gordon Brown situation. Except that Boris will get reelected because people love a good media darling bufoon. Luckily he hates Scotland and will probably give us our independence.

Edited by thewelk

aye, Cameron will bow out after winning Eu referendum, Boris will step in and win the 2020 election . at least ten more years of Tories.. , Labour cant recover form this in 5 years...

So Nicola wins in 2016 and 2021, with large green support hopefully, and another referendum in 2023

Don't think people should underestimate this guy. The bumbling buffoonery that you see in the media is all show - you have one dangerous, ruthless here. If I were Cameron I'd be watching my back, there's no doubt Boris wants the top job and if it means knifing Cameron in the back to get it then so be it.

And there is no doubt he has the Thatcherite trait of his loathing of all things Scottish. He makes Norman Tebbit look cuddly in comparison.

All you need to know about Boris's electability is the fact that London, a Labour city for god knows how many years, has voted him in twice as mayor. He will an election at a canter.

London goes for 'characters' - look at Ken before him. If it came to the crunch I couldn't really see the Conservative party electing him as leader ... I don't think.

To be fair London has only had 2 recent mayors so extrapolating what Londoners prefer from 2 data points might not be accurate.

True, although those two mayors represent more than two elections (I'm sure both were reelected at least once).

I'd put a hefty wedge on it. The media love him and we all know how much they can influence votes

The leader of the Conservative party is elected by the parliamentary party, is it not? And to be honest no-one knows the extent to which the media influences votes (assuming Boris would receive media backing).

The leader of the Conservative party is elected by the parliamentary party, is it not? And to be honest no-one knows the extent to which the media influences votes (assuming Boris would receive media backing).

I don't know tbh. I'd've thought it went to a vote off conservative members. I can't remember how Gordon Brown got in

I don't know tbh. I'd've thought it went to a vote off conservative members. I can't remember how Gordon Brown got in

Labour do it differently with different weightings for parliamentary party, trade unions and local party members. The Tories certainly used to be just parliamentary members (in fact until fairly recently it was in the gift of the 1922 committee), and I think it still is.

Edited by DonnyTJS