The Most Gutted At A Result.. - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Most Gutted At A Result..

scotsgary1

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another contender for me definitely the 0-0 draw in the 89 World Cup V Uruguay who had a player sent off in the first minute. One goal would have taken us through but if I remember rightly it never really looked like coming.

Should this be posted under the subject of "The Summer Of An Odd Numbered Year"?

A few too many over the years, these are the ones which spring to mind first:

England, Euro 96 (never went from such a 'potential' high to such a low so quickly)

England 99, Hampden (did not deserve to lose that match)

England 99, Wembley (should have won by at least 2 clear goals and qualified)

Belgium, Hampden (up 2 nil against an average 10 man Belgium side, drew 2-2. ultimately cost us qualification)

Strong competiton for this following Scotland, but having travelled all the way to St Etienne it was hard to take the abject failure against Morocco...

that performance was abysmal. Mind you, even if we had won that night, we still would have went out.

You mean the second italy goal incorrectly disallowed at 0-1?

The officials all had complete shockers that night. I still don't think we deserved to win but at the same time we didn't deserve to lose.

v Switzerland, Euro 96, for 18 mins, we were in the Holte end thinking we were going through to the european quarter finals at Anfield. Had it in my mind we would be in the Kop and would stay in Blackpool for a few days.... then Seaman let one in through his legs.

Edited by giblet

that performance was abysmal. Mind you, even if we had won that night, we still would have went out.

That's true. The next day we headed to the Med to try and get over it and passed the Moroccan team bus on the autoroute, they looked even more gutted than us...

"With so many great ones, it's hard to pick just one"

I'd probably go for Uruguay 86 as it was sitting there on a plate for us for 90 minutes.

Really all those World Cup failures though and what might have been last games though...

USSR 82 was a little early for me, Brazil 90 is definitely up there as we came so close and I'd imagine Holland 78 as well as we were going to win that competition.

A few too many over the years, these are the ones which spring to mind first:

England, Euro 96 (never went from such a 'potential' high to such a low so quickly)

England 99, Hampden (did not deserve to lose that match)

England 99, Wembley (should have won by at least 2 clear goals and qualified)

Belgium, Hampden (up 2 nil against an average 10 man Belgium side, drew 2-2. ultimately cost us qualification)

My recollection of the home game vs England was that although we had a couple of decent chances (Gallacher and Dodds?), overall we were a bit flat and it wasn't too tough a win for England. Our performance at Wembley was much better though.

My recollection of the home game vs England was that although we had a couple of decent chances (Gallacher and Dodds?), overall we were a bit flat and it wasn't too tough a win for England. Our performance at Wembley was much better though.

am sure gallacher was thru one on one not long after england 1st goal

for me ; the way we gave up the ghost early on 0-1 v belarus ; still a slim chance of qualifying at that stage i recall ; but lone striker kenny miller

also 0-1 at home to norway as someone earlier mentioned ; a 6 pointer at start of campaign

v Switzerland, Euro 96, for 18 mins, we were in the Holte end thinking we were going through to the european quarter finals at Anfield. Had it in my mind we would be in the Kop and would stay in Blackpool for a few days.... then Seaman let one in through his legs.

Same in there too.

I always remember that game as one where McCoist missed a number of chances, including hitting the keeper from about 6 yards, before scoring the goal of his life. So rather than Seaman's shocking goalkeeping, I'd blame our inability to score another on us not going through.

I always remember that game as one where McCoist missed a number of chances, including hitting the keeper from about 6 yards, before scoring the goal of his life. So rather than Seaman's shocking goalkeeping, I'd blame our inability to score another on us not going through.

Great goal one of Scotlands best

https://youtu.be/nOENjU5tXgE

Apart from this

https://youtu.be/eyJTBrbPIHQ

And Brown playing panic football and throwing Hendry up front where he only got in the way. I seem to remember him keeping one out that hit him as he ran across the path of the shot. We should have scored 3 or 4 that night.

Don't know, but would say this was worse:

Easily the worst I've felt at the football. My dad had to drag me away from my seat at the end was nearly greeting. Honestly never understood people being so emotional at the football until that day.

Atmosphere was electric as well.

Several of the above .

Italy 2007 was when i realised the wee nations were not playing on a level field any more.

Morocco 1998 .Utterly gutted with the teams performance .Lost a lot of respect for Scotland that day.Have never expected much since .The occasion tends to be more enjoyable than the sport now

Costa Rica .1990.It was not just the performance that was terrible but the march to the stadium attracted 200,000 Italians who came out of offices ,factories shops and bars to roar us on.The noise in the road tunnel with the tartan army at full volume and every car horn blaring was earsplitting Just walked on air the entire way.From that high to the severe low a few hours later really depressing.No one said a word back to the piazzas or the stations.Italians were so emotionally embarrassed for us it just made it worse.The worst ever.

Edited by Wine bibber

Several of the above .

Italy 2007 was when i realised the wee nations were not playing on a level field any more.

Morocco 1998 .Utterly gutted with the teams performance .Lost a lot of respect for Scotland that day.Have never expected much since .The occasion tends to be more enjoyable than the sport now

Costa Rica .1990.It was not just the performance that was terrible but the march to the stadium attracted 200,000 Italians who came out of offices ,factories shops and bars to roar us on.The noise in the road tunnel with the tartan army at full volume and every car horn blaring was earsplitting Just walked on air the entire way.From that high to the severe low a few hours later really depressing.No one said a word back to the piazzas or the stations.Italians were so emotionally embarrassed for us it just made it worse.The worst ever.

For a wee nation we didn't half get some crucial decisions go for us against Italy in 2007

I must have blanked them from memory.Still worst decision i have ever seen though

They had a goal wrongly disallowed and ours was marginally offside.

You're right though about that decision but we should have defended the free kick and in the end the goal didn't matter in terms of qualifying.