Orange Walk - Page 9 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there any particular reason this has to be slap bang in the centre of Scotland's biggest city??

Surely a low-population-density country like Scotland has plenty wide open spaces where these people can meet to celebrate their culture.

Votes

Is there any particular reason this has to be slap bang in the centre of Scotland's biggest city??

Surely a low-population-density country like Scotland has plenty wide open spaces where these people can meet to celebrate their culture.

Orangeism only "works" if there someone there to noise up.

That, and Glasgow CC is run by inept, venal cockwombles.

Because they don't care about their "culture" unless they are throwing it in people's faces

Exactly drop them all on an uninhabited island and let them march away forever, obviously forgetting to go back for them. Or let them march round the pitch at ibrox

Commenting on the upcoming "Orangefest" event in Glasgow's George Square, a spokesperson for the Glasgow City Council SNP Group said:

"My colleagues and I are deeply concerned that an event of this type, size and scale has been approved to take place in our city's civic square on a summer Saturday.

"My group has asked a number of questions, to establish who approved this event and when, how much the event will cost the public purse and what steps have been taken to ensure the safety and security of the wider public.

"The SNP group believes it is questionable at best that decisions to stage events of this kind, which are clearly going to be controversial, are being taken without any discussion with elected members and without any opportunity given for them to represent their constituents' views. The people of Glasgow have strong views about how George Square should be used and they should be listened to."

Commenting on the upcoming "Orangefest" event in Glasgow's George Square, a spokesperson for the Glasgow City Council SNP Group said:

"My colleagues and I are deeply concerned that an event of this type, size and scale has been approved to take place in our city's civic square on a summer Saturday.

"My group has asked a number of questions, to establish who approved this event and when, how much the event will cost the public purse and what steps have been taken to ensure the safety and security of the wider public.

"The SNP group believes it is questionable at best that decisions to stage events of this kind, which are clearly going to be controversial, are being taken without any discussion with elected members and without any opportunity given for them to represent their constituents' views. The people of Glasgow have strong views about how George Square should be used and they should be listened to."

good statement - hopefully the next council elections will go the same way as the GE and we can get some of these labour councillors out the door

'This is council-sanctioned hatred and nothing more. What next, a Ku Klux Klan fun day in Victoria Park? wrote John Lambie, one of the petition's signatories.'

Surely not the John Lambie??

Edited by Charlie Endell

'This is council-sanctioned hatred and nothing more. What next, a Ku Klux Klan fun day in Victoria Park? wrote John Lambie, one of the petition's signatories.'

Surely not the John Lambie??

Canae be. No enough swear words.

Parklife as far as I know Highland and Aberdeen councils have refused Orange walks in the past. I don't know of any other region north of the Tay that have these parades.

Parklife as far as I know Highland and Aberdeen councils have refused Orange walks in the past. I don't know of any other region north of the Tay that have these parades.

So, "no SNP councils have reduced or banned these marches" is your answer. Super :ok:

There is a pattern emerging. There seems to be more and more Orange stuff on the streets as the surge for Independence grows. Remember there was no permission granted for the hope over fear rally but the Orangefest granted 'Nay Bother pals' from the Labour run council

Edited by kirkintoddy

Sorry Parkie, but.......

He's one of your own!

He's one of your own!

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Saints have piles of them too!

I honestly have no idea what you're on about...

Unless you mean Peever the mentalist is an Aberdeen fan? :lol:

Thee has been one in Inverness for the last few years, unfortunately. Actually Apprentice Boys or some other mob, rather than OO, but cheeks of same arse.

Edited by jailender

Diners cancel George Square bookings ahead of Orangefest

BUSINESSES in Glasgow’s George Square have already been affected by Saturday’s Orange Order organised festival.

One restaurateur, who didn’t want his business named for fear of repercussions, told The National that all but one of his bookings for Saturday had cancelled in the past 24 hours.

All of the businesses The National spoke to yesterday said that the first they knew about Orangefest taking place on Saturday was through media reports and social media in the last two days.

Saturday’s “heritage” day event is expected to attract more than 2,000 supporters of the Orange Order from all over Scotland to Glasgow’s city centre.

The restaurateur who spoke to the National said that he had experiences with Orange walks and parades in another one of his restaurants.

“They come in, they’re drunk,” he said. “In the other restaurant they would come in and use the toilet. Twice we had to call the police because there were fights. After that we just closed on the days they were going to be near us. We should maybe just close this Saturday. Nobody’s going to come to town if they know this is happening.” Waxy O’Connors, the Irish Bar just off George Square said that they didn’t expect to be busy, but that they would be asking their door staff to start six hours earlier than normal. The Camperdown Bar underneath Glasgow Queen Street Station would also have door stewards start at the same time as the bar opened.

The manager said: “You never know what’s going to happen. Hopefully it’ll be a pain free day with no trouble at all, or it could be carnage.” A number of the chain restaurants around the square, Pizza Express, Browns, the Millennium Hotel, directed The National to their head office for comment, although many admitted privately that they were preparing for Saturday to be a challenging day.

The Wee Guys cafe off George Square were also worried about Orangefest putting off regulars, but would be opening and operating as normal.

Stuart Patrick, chief executive of Glasgow Chamber of Commerce, said that they were aware of the event but, so far, none of his members had “raised the issue”.

A spokesperson for Glasgow City Council said the businesses around George Square were not notified about Orangefest as the event would be self contained.

“The organiser announced the event last year and, since then, has followed the statutory processes required by Scottish Government legislation in terms of obtaining a licence and providing details of the public procession,” the spokesperson said. “There are no traffic orders in place for the event, so no changes to access or travel for neighbours.”

Saturday’s event, which runs between 9.30am and 4pm, will be opened with a banging of the lambeg drums, and will be followed by a mixture of accordion bands, choirs and speakers addressing the crowd.

A “banner parade” will arrive in the square at 3.45pm before a Last Night Of The Proms style finale. At the same time as the main event, there will be stalls, a lecture marquee, and face painting and bouncy castles for children.

Edward Hyde, Grand Master of the County Grand Orange Lodge Of Glasgow, said that Catholics and representatives of other religions had been invited to the event to help “break down some divides”.

Hyde told the Glasgow Evening Times that two women representatives from the Catholic Church would be attending, plus an Irish consulate and a representative from the Muslim Council for Scotland.

Jailender we stopped one in Inverness a few years back.They had planned to march in the Culloden area on the day of the battle commemoration.Letters to the council,the police and the NTS was enough to stop them.All three said they would never allow these marches anywhere near the battlefield. There used to be a small one in Forfar but never any problems reported.As we all know its not the Orange Order members that cause the trouble ,its the drunken bigots that follow them that cause the grief.

These things should not be allowed. Feel sorry for the poor cahtholic women who are going with good intentions, they will no doubt get booed or tormented. Scum of the highest order these folk. A lecture tent? To lecture what? Hate? Bigotry?