Half Way Through - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Half Way Through

Toepoke

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To the Irish guy:

Your player wasn`t sent-off for hitting Mila in the face (without ball).

You got your equalizer from corner that shouldn`t be given (clear foul on Fabianski)

Reckless challenge on Milik.

And you crying about referee being against you and Polish gamensmanship?!

Gizza break.

To the Irish guy:

You got your equalizer from corner that shouldn`t be given (clear foul on Fabianski)

Gizza break.

The Irish player should have been sent off, the Polish player should have been sent off for play acting. Embarrassment to the team.

I thought it was a clear foul on the keeper

I thought it was a great tackle by McClean if that's the one you mean.

Edited by scoobydoo

The Irish player should have been sent off, the Polish player should have been sent off for play acting. Embarrassment to the team.

It was McCarthy. I agree with you, if a wee girly slap is a sending off offence, so to should be play acting to get an opposing teams player sent off.

UnrulyImaginaryDragon.gif

A friggin' crazy thing for McCarthy to do that if seen would have been a red card. True the Pole's reaction was damned disgraceful as he goes down holding his head as if a brick had been lobbed at him and merited red as well but McCarthy should never have even given him the chance to make something of it.

agree completely

Mila was criticized by the pundits in Polish TV, straight after referee was criticized for not reacting to McCarthy behaviour.

IF we can win the next two it would set us up brilliantly for the home games v Germany and Poland where a win in either would virtually guarantee qualification.

That's a big if though. Dublin will be an end of season battle between two tired teams. Tblisi will likely be absolutely roasting in early September...

Sure it's an evening kick off when we play them over in Tbilisi so shouldn't be much of a factor hopefully. Playing in the middle of the day in Eastern Europe in September is another thing altogether....

Edited by JECK

I think we should be really positive about Scotland's results so far in this campaign. The only slight downside is the results ROI and Poland picked up against Germany. If Germany had performed as expected the table would be looking brilliant at this stage:

Germany: 15 points

Scotland: 10 points

Poland: 8 points

ROI: 7 points

Georgia: 3 points

Gibraltar: 0 points

However we can only control our results and if we pick up another 9-10 points I'll be very happy with our campaign!

Yes Orraloon. Definitely. The Wales game was (in terms of qualification) by that time was meaningless. If we lose in Dublin it will really knock our qualification hopes.

Sorry but that is a load of baws. We finished that group 6 points behind Croatia. If we had beat Wales at Hampden and then an away win in Serbia OR beat Belgium at home (unlikely but not impossible) we would have got the play off spot. The Wales game at Hampden was not meaningless. If Strachan went into that game with that attitude (which I'm sure he didn't) then he should have been sacked on the spot.

Sorry but that is a load of baws. We finished that group 6 points behind Croatia. If we had beat Wales at Hampden and then an away win in Serbia OR beat Belgium at home (unlikely but not impossible) we would have got the play off spot. The Wales game at Hampden was not meaningless. If Strachan went into that game with that attitude (which I'm sure he didn't) then he should have been sacked on the spot.

So you are trying to say we were in anywhere near as good a position as we are now in terms of qualifying hopes? Of course not. It was a large scale acceptance that the SFA left it far too late to sack Levein and by the time they did our hopes were ober. Are you disagreeing with that?

Edited by Caledonian Craig

So you are trying to say we were in anywhere near as good a position as we are now in terms of qualifying hopes? Of course not. It was a large scale acceptance that the SFA left it far too late to sack Levein and by the time they did our hopes were ober. Are you disagreeing with that?

I would like to hope that your defeatist attitude wasn't shared by the manager and players before that game. But judging by how piss poor we were in the opening 30 minutes of that game you could be forgiven for thinking otherwise. IMO that defeat to Wales was one of the worst performances I have ever seen from a Scotland team and a win would have kept us in with an outside chance of a play off spot. A defeat in Dublin would be neither a surprise nor the end of our campaign.

I would like to hope that your defeatist attitude wasn't shared by the manager and players before that game. But judging by how piss poor we were in the opening 30 minutes of that game you could be forgiven for thinking otherwise. IMO that defeat to Wales was one of the worst performances I have ever seen from a Scotland team and a win would have kept us in with an outside chance of a play off spot. A defeat in Dublin would be neither a surprise nor the end of our campaign.

Jeez you have either a short memory or you are missing my point. We were confidence-wise at rock bottom and hope-wise little better off going into that Wales game and it was largely accepted by most on here that we were on a damage limitation after Levein was sacked in that campaign. The only hopes harboured were to protect our spot in the ranking pot that we were in. A defeat against Wales was very disappointing but our hopes were already hanging by a thread at that time - besides even a win there you'd have to have been on some strong drugs to believe we could win away in Serbia (considering our away form at that time) and beat Belgium at home (who were tipped for big things at the World Cup). Spin forward to the here and now and confidence in the squad and spirit is like night and day to like it was then. Our hopes of qualification are also so very much higher than back then hence why a loss now in the current circumstances and situation we are in would be a much bigger disappointment especially when the belief is much higher now than it was back then plus our team spirit and confidence is on a totally different level.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

To the Irish guy:

Gizza break.

What was great in that tackle exactly?

He got the ball first and this was the only right thing in this situation. Rest was horrible, even to watch.

Polish Guy!!!!!!

McCarthy should have been sent off for raising his hand .....he barely made contact with your player who hit the floor like he had been shot (embarrassing) ...but he shud have gone because he raised his hand

Mcleans tackle was a perfectly good tackle ...read my earlier posts as to why it was

As for your teams general disgraceful play acting in the second half....it was embarrassing for the game to see a team at that

On another note , i heard a Polish official was arrested outside the stadium by our police for trying to TOUT tickets..........Classy!!!!!

Edited by Green_Tide_Rising

The difference between now and the Wales game is staggering, considering its largely the same players involved.

We couldn't keep the ball, defended deep, zero confidence and Wales looks a lot better than us in every way and deseved their win.

I know what Orraloon is saying in terms of the importance of winning that game and I'm sure Strachan sent us out to do just that but we were way off being good enough, shows the difference manager can make and the damage the Levein era did to the squad.

Jeez you have either a short memory or you are missing my point. We were confidence-wise at rock bottom and hope-wise little better off going into that Wales game and it was largely accepted by most on here that we were on a damage limitation after Levein was sacked in that campaign. The only hopes harboured were to protect our spot in the ranking pot that we were in. A defeat against Wales was very disappointing but our hopes were already hanging by a thread at that time - besides even a win there you'd have to have been on some strong drugs to believe we could win away in Serbia (considering our away form at that time) and beat Belgium at home (who were tipped for big things at the World Cup). Spin forward to the here and now and confidence in the squad and spirit is like night and day to like it was then. Our hopes of qualification are also so very much higher than back then hence why a loss now in the current circumstances and situation we are in would be a much bigger disappointment especially when the belief is much higher now than it was back then plus our for, team spirit and confidence is on a totally different level.

We didn't need to win both of them, just one of them. Serbia weren't that great but I admit beating them away from would have been a surprise but not impossible. Not as big a surprise as beating Croatia though. Belgium are a decent side but we have beaten better at Hampden. Even under Levein we gave Spain a really good fleg. Too many defeatists in the Scotland support these days. We should never give up until it is mathematically impossible.

We didn't need to win both of them, just one of them. Serbia weren't that great but I admit beating them away from would have been a surprise but not impossible. Not as big a surprise as beating Croatia though. Belgium are a decent side but we have beaten better at Hampden. Even under Levein we gave Spain a really good fleg. Too many defeatists in the Scotland support these days. We should never give up until it is mathematically impossible.

No I agree we should never give up and would say we never have but what would be more of a surprise and disappointment? Losing at home to Wales when our hopes hung by a thread and Strachan was new in the job inheriting a squad devoid of confidence and spirit or losing to Ireland when our qualifying hopes are hanging by a much thicker cord and squad confidence is good as is the spirit and Strachan is now settled in the job? After the Welsh defeat it was a case of a continuation of dire results whereas against Ireland it would be our first real blow to qualifying in this campaign and would dent confidence and steal away our momentum.