What Merits A Call Up? - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

What Merits A Call Up?

andyD

So, there have been a few mentions of being called up on merit, what with the squad just having been announce. Who deserves a call up, who doesnt, what should qualify someone to be in the squad. etc.

Well, here's a thought.. of all the scottish players who play regularly for their clubs, the one whose club is highest in the premier league is.. Charlie Adam.

The only Scottish player, playing regularly in the top 10 of the premier league.

So, there have been a few mentions of being called up on merit, what with the squad just having been announce. Who deserves a call up, who doesnt, what should qualify someone to be in the squad. etc.

Well, here's a thought.. of all the scottish players who play regularly for their clubs, the one whose club is highest in the premier league is.. Charlie Adam.

The only Scottish player, playing regularly in the top 10 of the premier league.

Previous performances in a Scotland shirt and not always being a regular count against him.

Having said that Forrest is picked and the above should rule him out also!

The players called up are the ones Strachan thinks can do a specific job for the team. Then there is others he wants as cover or to have a look at them in training to see if he thinks they can add something.

The best players don't always make the best teams.

Adam was man of the match at the weekend , I would sooner have him in than an untried guy like Ritchie, guys like arfield and boyd would merit a call up , they, ve both been regulars in the EPL this season

Different positions. Adams problem is he competes with Brown, Morrison and Fletcher.

He's playing more in his old 'blackpool' position for Stoke it seems. a little more advanced center midfield, so not the crazy deep defensive mid that Levein dumped him in. I guess that would put him in competition with Naismith, Maloney, Morrison. I can get why he's not there, given that those three have all performed well for us over this campaign and the tail end of the last one. Still, if anyone can feel hard done by to not even be in the squad, i think it's probably Adam.

I suppose he's one of those that is married and has a couple of kids, so maybe he was one of those Strachan spoke to.

The likes of Forrest and Ritchie play a different position and offer different things, so not competing for a place with them.

Not sure why people are that annoyed about Forrest. WGS said he's there basically as a 'get to know you' exercise, just like how Gauld and McGregor and Macleod where called up to the squad.

Unless he suddenly plays a blinder in training, I can't see him being in line for a start against NI. Bannan, Maloney, Naismith, Morrison and Russell are almost certainly ahead of him and it's likely Ritchie is too. At best I'd expect that he and Ritchie might get a half each against NI, but part of me says that's not even likely.

So, I can't get upset about the manager calling up a player in order to have him about the squad so he can assess whether he's mentally strong enough for it and to offer him some encouragement to up his game or find a bit more consistency to push his way into the team.

Forrest has played for Scotland under Strachan so I doubt he's been called up for that reason.

He's been called up because he's quicker than anyone else we have available and is a player that will pick up a lot of caps.

In the squad naming interview, WGS said he was a lad he didn't know well and so he wanted to take a look and get to know him.

He's did nothing in a Scotland jersey though. Willing to give him the benefit of doubt because he's relatively young, most of his caps were under Levein and he's struggled with injuries. But it's

time for him to show he's good enough.

He's played a handful of games, most as a sub. The 'he's done nothing' chat is nonsense. He's already got more Champions League experience than most of our squad combined will ever get and with some luck with injuries, he can become a key player for us.

He's played a handful of games, most as a sub. The 'he's done nothing' chat is nonsense. He's already got more Champions League experience than most of our squad combined will ever get and with some luck with injuries, he can become a key player for us.

When I say nothing I mean in his 9 caps for us. Largely annoymous as far as I can remember.

However like I said above willing to give him the benefit of doubt but it's time he contributes.

More arrogant pysh :banghead:

Forrest would be anywhere near the squad if he played for any other club.

:lol: good one :lol:

Edit to point out how stupid that comment is; Griffiths, Armstrong and GMS aren't in the squad but play for Celtic.

Edited by PASTA Mick

For me all those playing regular in the premiership have got a gripe

bridcutt could be added to Adam, boyd, bardsley, arfield

on form gms, Armstrong and Griffiths big gripe too

on other encouraging even discussing above

He falls over and Crys as soon as he's touched. Over rated to the Max. The majority of Celtic fans I know, including season ticket holders, think he is a waste of time and nowhere near good enough to be at Celtic. Also made of glass.