Scotland Players In Action - Page 67 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland Players In Action

kmcca5

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From Chicago Fire season ticket holder I know....sounds promising -

"he was probably the fire's best midfield player, but that's not saying much. he got a yellow card early on and kind of held back after that.

a lot of the fire's best players were missing so hopefully this match wasn't a sign of things to come.

i'm looking forward to watching him play, i'll keep you updated"

From Chicago Fire season ticket holder I know....sounds promising -

"he was probably the fire's best midfield player, but that's not saying much. he got a yellow card early on and kind of held back after that.

a lot of the fire's best players were missing so hopefully this match wasn't a sign of things to come.

i'm looking forward to watching him play, i'll keep you updated"

:ok: cheers :shocked:

No arguments about that but Watt needs to be ahead of May and probably Griffiths, Rhodes and Russell. There is only one way to prove yourself at international level...

I think over the season Russell deserves to be in the squad ahead of most of the players in the championship. He's not off form right now, he was injured. But i would see him as an attacking mid anyway. Griffiths and Watt are the 2 that should be in the squad based on merit. It'll be Watt's reputation for having a bad attitude that will go against him. Lets hope he didn't leave a lasting bad impression on Strachan last time he was called up. He has far too much talent to be ignored for much longer.

It'll be Watt's reputation for having a bad attitude that will go against him.

Strachan seem to defend Griffiths over the Rudi Skachel song inciden, daft young laddie who should know better or words to that effect t. I think he is hard but tries to also protect his players, thats why he is so respected in the dressing room and the palers are willing to go that extra mile for him on the pitch.

Remind of Watt's reputation? Can't be as poor as Griffiths aka the thumb. :-))

It is great to see Watt stringing together a really good vein of form and it is a pleasant surprise.... hopefully it continues. We certainly need as many options as possible up front as goalscoring strikers for Scotland have been pretty thin on the ground for some time now for us since Miller retired.

We certainly need as many options as possible up front as goalscoring strikers for Scotland have been pretty thin on the ground for some time now for us since Miller retired.

I was hoping like many others that Jordan Rhoades would get his move to the EPL and become a prolific striker in that league. It hasn't happened as may never happen so we need to look at other options. Steven Fletchers game time at Sunderland is a concern. Please don't get injured Steven Naismith.

I was hoping like many others that Jordan Rhoades would get his move to the EPL and become a prolific striker in that league. It hasn't happened as may never happen so we need to look at other options. Steven Fletchers game time at Sunderland is a concern. Please don't get injured Steven Naismith.

I would say that there is some issue between Strachan and Rhodes though. I say this because Rhodes (maybe not so much this season) has been a goal machine at club level but has barely had a chance for Scotland under Strachan despite how thin on the ground we are in that area. I mean he hasn't even made a lot of the squads. Now we know Strachan likes a certain type of striker who can hold the ball up, off-load to supporting midfielders or set up chances for others and I am pretty sure he doesn't see Rhodes as that type of player. Rhodes is a poacher more than anything and how many goals have Scotland scored which were kind of poachers goals? Very few indeed. That being the case what would he have added to the side taking into account how we play?

I would say that there is some issue between Strachan and Rhodes though. I say this because Rhodes (maybe not so much this season) has been a goal machine at club level but has barely had a chance for Scotland under Strachan despite how thin on the ground we are in that area. I mean he hasn't even made a lot of the squads. Now we know Strachan likes a certain type of striker who can hold the ball up, off-load to supporting midfielders or set up chances for others and I am pretty sure he doesn't see Rhodes as that type of player. Rhodes is a poacher more than anything and how many goals have Scotland scored which were kind of poachers goals? Very few indeed. That being the case what would he have added to the side taking into account how we play?

(As you know) WGS likes playing with a lone striker with the midfield charging up to support when we have the ball. WGS does not see Rhodes as having the off the ball work ethic or physical strength to play that role. But surely against lesser teams or when we need a goal he needs a goal machine in the squad ?

I am not criticising WGS he has got us this far and I trust his judgement, so for now Rhodes is out of the picture. In GOrD we trust

Edited by Robroysboy

(As you know) WGS likes playing with a lone striker with the midfield charging up to support when we have the ball. WGS does not see Rhodes as having the off the ball work ethic or physical strength to play that role. But surely against lesser teams or when we need a goal he needs a goal machine in the squad ?

I am not criticising WGS he has got us this far and I trust his judgement, so for now Rhodes is out of the picture. In GOrD we trust

Oh yes I am not questioning Strachan - more trying to explain why Rhodes isn't getting a look in. As I said how many games have we played and scored goals or created chances that poachers see as a poachers goal. We don't so I don't see how Rhodes is a big miss.

Strachan seem to defend Griffiths over the Rudi Skachel song inciden, daft young laddie who should know better or words to that effect t. I think he is hard but tries to also protect his players, thats why he is so respected in the dressing room and the palers are willing to go that extra mile for him on the pitch.

Remind of Watt's reputation? Can't be as poor as Griffiths aka the thumb. :-))

He neevr really had a repuation as such. It was just that he was a bit childish and never tried hard in training. No one ever questioned his ability or work ethic on the pitch. So it seems that if he isn't messing around in training then there isn't really a problem. And yes, both Stokes and Griffiths have done far worse than Watt ever did, but Celtic were happy to hold onto them 2. Bizarre.

I really do hope Watt does turn out to be the player i think he can be because he suits SCotland's style perfectly. Can create something out of nothing, fast, strong, counter-attacking striker than can score all types of goal. He is the most complete striker we have had in over a decade. He should have made the breakthrough by now but i'm happy to wait if it means we get the ultimate centre forward.

Rhodes is much more limited. Not much better than Kris Boyd was.

In recent years, Wigan have been arguably the luckiest club in England. How many times did they avoid relegation from the Premier League on the last day of the season or something like that ?

Whilst they do still have a chance of surviving in the Championship, they will more likely than not be playing in League One next season and they will probably stay there for a long time.

Maloney done the right thing leaving Wigan.

The same Wigan who are absolutely rank rotten, in the most over rated league in the world

I personally think that the Championship is a much better league to watch than the Premiership. I have seen far more entertaining games with a better standard of football over the last 4 or 5 years in the championship.

Maloney is playing in a league littered with players of international experience and quality with a number of Brazilians, US internationals (USA are now no mugs in world football) and many other nationalities. The Championship - yes it has internationals playing in it but can't say they are from the world's big nations so I'd say the MLS is certainly a step up from the Championship.

In reality though most of these big name international players are well past their best. If there was an Anglo American cup between the top ten Championship clubs and MLS I'd take the championship clubs to wipe the floor with them.

Edited by Jagtag

I personally think that the Championship is a much better league to watch than the Premiership. I have seen far more entertaining games with a better standard of football over the last 4 or 5 years in the championship.

Have to agree with that. I have never known a time when the top league in England was just so bland and uninteresting (despite the hype that surrounds this ridiculous race to 4th place) when the increased money comes in it will be even worse.

In reality though most of these big name international players are well past their best. If there was an Anglo American cup between the top ten Championship clubs and MLS I'd take the championship clubs to wipe the floor with them.

Sorry but that is a falsehood. Sure you get some big name ones playing there like Keane, Lampard (who has returned here to do well) and Beckham but there are also internationals in their 20s so in their prime playing there. In any case the same could be said for those internationals playing in the Championship being past their best but the big difference is that those have rarely made it big at a big club.