Scotland Players In Action - Page 69 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland Players In Action

kmcca5

best goal scorer we have, seems to be a real poacher now, always playing on the shoulder, doesn't seem to score as many screamers as he did when at Hibs

I think the more game time he gets and the more he settles into Celtic, we'll see more screamers. However, it is no bad thing that he can score a variety of goals. It shows he's not just another Riordan. Edited by Tartan blood

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could it be that Griffith's is starting to get a bit of maturity about him and consintraiting on his football instead of getting up to his daft wee boy antics. Maybe Della has been a good influence on him?

Could it be that Griffith's is starting to get a bit of maturity about him and consintraiting on his football instead of getting up to his daft wee boy antics. Maybe Della has been a good influence on him?

I've never been a fan of his because of all his Neddery, but for me, he's now our no.1 striker.

He's not did anywhere near enough for us to be considered our no 1 striker, although in his defense he's not played enough to earn it either.

Fletcher may not be scoring but he's contributed a lot to our good start in the group.

I'd disagree. He's maybe our most skillful striker and on form scoring goals.

As I said, I've never been a fan but think he's the man just now.

I'd disagree. He's maybe our most skillful striker and on form scoring goals.

As I said, I've never been a fan but think he's the man just now.

But he's untested at international level. Don't get me wrong, he should get another chance to impress but I'm not convinced he has the overall game at a higher level.

He's not did anywhere near enough for us to be considered our no 1 striker, although in his defense he's not played enough to earn it either.

Fletcher may not be scoring but he's contributed a lot to our good start in the group.

It's interesting. Naismith will be playing behind a lone forward, I don't think anyone will argue with that. The lone forward role is up for grabs. Fletcher has the shirt but his goal scoring record is terrible. He's done alright so far this campaign but he's not undroppable. He plays at a higher level than Griffiths and Watt (and the other contenders) but those two must be close to taking his place. These two matches could give us an opportunity to try different forwards and I'm sure WGS will be considering his options.

Personally, I think it's our weakest position and the lack of quality upfront is the reason we've not qualified since 1998.

But he's untested at international level. Don't get me wrong, he should get another chance to impress but I'm not convinced he has the overall game at a higher level.

I'm not normally one for calling up players willy-nilly (like many threads on here do) but just think he could go straight in and do well whatever the opposition.

Given our next two games, the timing is even better IMO.

It's interesting. Naismith will be playing behind a lone forward, I don't think anyone will argue with that. The lone forward role is up for grabs. Fletcher has the shirt but his goal scoring record is terrible. He's done alright so far this campaign but he's not undroppable. He plays at a higher level than Griffiths and Watt (and the other contenders) but those two must be close to taking his place. These two matches could give us an opportunity to try different forwards and I'm sure WGS will be considering his options.

Personally, I think it's our weakest position and the lack of quality upfront is the reason we've not qualified since 1998.

Agreed. Fletchers main quality is his link up play which has resulted in a few goals but as you say he's not scoring which will always mean his position is up for grabs. Ideal opportunity to give others a chance in the next couple of games, while also giving Fletcher a chance to prove he can score goals as well as link up play

Agreed. Fletchers main quality is his link up play which has resulted in a few goals but as you say he's not scoring which will always mean his position is up for grabs. Ideal opportunity to give others a chance in the next couple of games, while also giving Fletcher a chance to prove he can score goals as well as link up play

I'm sure WGS will keep the same formation against Gibraltar but I think I'd go with something like 4-3-3 (Gordon; Hutton, Martin, Berra, Robertson; Fletcher, Bannan, Morrison; Fletcher, Naismith, Griffiths). The full-backs will push-up to make it more like a 2-5-3.

I'd leave Brown out. He's usually the first player I'd pick but I just don't think his qualities will be needed in this match and someone like Bannan could open up teams in a way Brown struggles to.

Fletcher has been totally gash for most this season. He has missed sitters and is low on confidence. He currently plays for a team that are one of the least goal scoring teams in the league.I hear alot of our players like Griffiths and Watt that dont have International experience, but when do you give them experience? Surely a friendly v Northern Ireland and a qualifier v Gibraltar is the perfect time?

Fletcher has been totally gash for most this season. He has missed sitters and is low on confidence. He currently plays for a team that are one of the least goal scoring teams in the league.I hear alot of our players like Griffiths and Watt that dont have International experience, but when do you give them experience? Surely a friendly v Northern Ireland and a qualifier v Gibraltar is the perfect time?

Absolutely. Something like the team above would be ideal.

The problem is that it's a different game against these teams and the 3 group contenders but eventually you need to give new players a try in big games

Centre half is definitely our weakest position!

Tony Watts form for charlton has been impressive, and long may it continue. Griffiths may not be everyones cup of tea but you cant fault him at Celtic. Naismith gives 100% and imo a more valuable player to have than Fletcher. I really want Fletcher to do well and I know it sounds as if I dont. Its just that I cant see it happening for him, not this season anyway. Rhodes has went off the boil lately but for some to compare him to Boyd is laughable imo. Berra has been playing well for Ipswich and could easily slot back in if we have injuries. GMS and Armstrong are 2 good players to have also, but I think we need to freshen things up for our next 2 games as the opposition (no disrespect) are not the toughest but again maybe just my opinion

Centre half is definitely our weakest position!

It's not. The amount of clean sheets we've had recently backs that up.

You can create a decent defence by taking average players, like we have, and get them organised, protected and disciplined. You can't do the same with average forwards. Fletcher would struggle against our defence.

Fletcher is probably a more talented footballer than our centre-backs but I'd rather bet on us keeping a clean sheet than Fletcher scoring. Therefore, I consider our forwards our weakness.

Edited by PASTA Mick

Tony Watts form for charlton has been impressive, and long may it continue. Griffiths may not be everyones cup of tea but you cant fault him at Celtic. Naismith gives 100% and imo a more valuable player to have than Fletcher. I really want Fletcher to do well and I know it sounds as if I dont. Its just that I cant see it happening for him, not this season anyway. Rhodes has went off the boil lately but for some to compare him to Boyd is laughable imo. Berra has been playing well for Ipswich and could easily slot back in if we have injuries. GMS and Armstrong are 2 good players to have also, but I think we need to freshen things up for our next 2 games as the opposition (no disrespect) are not the toughest but again maybe just my opinion

Northen Ireland are a decent team and are on a great run in their group. Good standard of opposition and I expect a tough game.

It's not. The amount of clean sheets we've had recently backs that up.

You can create a decent defence by taking average players, like we have, and get them organised, protected and disciplined. You can't do the same with average forwards. Fletcher would struggle against our defence.

Fletcher is probably a more talented footballer than our centre-backs but I'd rather bet on us keeping a clean sheet than Fletcher scoring. Therefore, I consider our forwards our weakness.

I'm not saying our defence isn't organised but 3 very good goalies are a big factor.

Fletcher, Naismith, Watt, Rhodes and Griffiths would be my 5 for the front 2 spots in the squad - would be very happy with that

I'm not saying our defence isn't organised but 3 very good goalies are a big factor.

Fletcher, Naismith, Watt, Rhodes and Griffiths would be my 5 for the front 2 spots in the squad - would be very happy with that

Yes, the keepers help. I'm not saying the centre-backs are great because they aren't. I just think they are more reliable than our forwards.

Those are the 5 I'd pick too although Russell isn't too far away either.

Yes, the keepers help. I'm not saying the centre-backs are great because they aren't. I just think they are more reliable than our forwards.

Those are the 5 I'd pick too although Russell isn't too far away either.

Yeah totally.

I kind of think of Russell as a sort of wide man though instead of uptop?

I would also pick those 5 even if Coldplay was fit too