Scotland V Qatar - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland V Qatar

wanderer

Doesn't matter what's good for the team, it's about what's good for the fans! Or so you'd think.

Playing Northern Ireland was probably a good choice given our next game, yet the most common reaction after the announcement was how uninspiring a choice of friendly it was.

The choice of friendly opposition should always be on the basis of what the management thinks is best for the team, what the fans think should always be of secondary importance.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The choice of friendly opposition should always be on the basis of what the management thinks is best for the team, what the fans think should always be of secondary importance.

Totally agree. I think with an eye already on June's fixture the NI game was a great fixture to arrange. For a game between end of season and Ireland game imo the opposition isn't that important, it's more about keeping match sharpness.

I'd rather we went on a South American tour btw!

Are we not getting a little bit arrogant, thinking that Quatar are not good enough opponents for us ? In the last International break, just over a week ago, they beat both Algeria and Slovenia, both 1-0, neither of whom would be walkovers for us. In the last year they beat Australia (1-0) and Estonia (3-0), so I think they are a lot better than some people on here are giving them credit for.

I think they may actually be exactly the type of opposition we want in a warm up for the Ireland game !

The fact is though that they are 109 in the world rankings. That's below the Faroes. Playing them will not teach us anything and will only harm any chance we have of being in pot 2 for the world cup draw.

If the game suits Strachan and the team for the build up to Ireland then so be it. It seems to be that it is more important to suit the TA's needs than the actual teams now a days.

I guess it depends what you mean by 'imports' but according to wiki their last squad had 8 players born out with Qatar. Our last squad had 6 from outside Scotland!

There 8 were made up of 2 x France, Bahrain, Senegal, Kuwait, Sudan, Algeria, Egypt and DR Congo.

So not many qualified via the Grandparent rule then?

J

Are we not getting a little bit arrogant, thinking that Quatar are not good enough opponents for us ? In the last International break, just over a week ago, they beat both Algeria and Slovenia, both 1-0, neither of whom would be walkovers for us. In the last year they beat Australia (1-0) and Estonia (3-0), so I think they are a lot better than some people on here are giving them credit for.

I think they may actually be exactly the type of opposition we want in a warm up for the Ireland game !

No, just saying that it will in all likelyhood be a game that nobody really gives a fuq about, unlike playing England 5 days before playing in a competitive must win game.

Not really fussed, just want a game where out players get a run around and don't get hurt.

J

There are 200 countries in FIFA so plenty of choice. There is no benefit for Scotland or the SFA to play this corrupt bunch of liars and cheats. Qatar is as corrupt as FIFA, in fact probably worse. Why should the $FA even consider pandering to them for anything else other than getting more $$$. If you have ever been to visit Qatar you will understand what I mean... one rule for the robey boys (i.e. they do what they want with no chance of recrimination no matter how serious their crime) and another rule for everyone else (i.e. we will control you and screw you at every turn).

No matter what you think of this game and i have to say its a bit of a joke AGAIN the SFA dragging out the process not getting the game organised.

For how many years has arranging a kick aboot been so hard? Or do they like leaving it to the last night every time?

We should be playing a better team and one that can help the WC draw rankings. We do need a game!!!

If they want games to make money lets get some better teams and pricing structure for the fans and TV!!!

Edited by The Kilt

Quite a lot of chat re June games over the last few days.

Poland are going to play Greece a few days after their qualifier with Georgia.

Georgia look like playing Ukraine in Austria before their qualifier.

BiH are talking about playing Croatia & Switzerland.

Croatia have confirmed a friendly against Gibraltar and looking to play BiH too.

Switzerland are looking to play BiH in additon to their confirmed game with Liechtenstein.

Wales are re considering their much talked about game with Northern Ireland (who have already confirmed a game v Qatar).

Our other group rivals - Germany confirmed their game v USA months ago as did Ireland v England.

Surely we will hear something in the next couple of weeks.

Croatia have confirmed a friendly against Gibraltar and looking to play BiH too.

Switzerland are looking to play BiH in additon to their confirmed game with Liechtenstein.

Wales are re considering their much talked about game with Northern Ireland (who have already confirmed a game v Qatar).

Our other group rivals - Germany confirmed their game v USA months ago as did Ireland v England.

Na, it's not the SFA way. We'll find out at 16:59 the Friday before the Cup Final.

J

The Poland game is way after the end of the season! weird

Edited by The Kilt

I recon they are after cheap/easy FIFA points to get them into a higher pot.

J

Probably to make up what they lost as hosts of Euro 2012 (were Ukraine and Poland not "risen" up a pot each at the last minute for Euro 2014 qualification).

Ukraine are playing Portugal in Faro at the start of May apparently.

Edited by wanderer

The Poland game is way after the end of the season! weird

It is an international date. Portugal are playing Italy in Doha then too.

Probably to make up what they lost as hosts of Euro 2012 (were Ukraine and Poland not "risen" up a pot each at the last minute for Euro 2014 qualification).

Ukraine are playing Portugal in Faro at the start of May apparently.

I would be very surprised if they play at the star of May. Perhaps the end of May. They wont be able to use their first team as the European leagues are not over so they cant call up all their players. I expect the majority of the friendlies will be played between the very end of May until mid June.