Ek Celt - Page 7 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

I'm an atheist who'd quite happily ban the thing (religion).

I wouldn't ban atheism.

I believe in (and accept) the consequences and rewards of freewill choices.

I often find that the battering a lot of folk take on here from Aberdeen fans borders on bullying at times.

Hopefully the battering this Aberdeen fan receives evens things out a bit.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't ban atheism.

I believe in (and accept) the consequences and rewards of freewill choices.

Hopefully the battering this Aberdeen fan receives evens things out a bit.

You can't ban not believing in something. Just not possible.

You don't take a battering for being a Don, it's your beliefs that generally get you into heated discussions. ?

I quite enjoy them to be fair. A good debate does you good.

You can't ban not believing in something.

I said 'I wouldn't', but you mean that it's not possible anyway? Correct?

The Bible tells of the coming Tribulation period where a global population will either worship 'the beast' or suffer a martyr's death.

(I guess you'll just have to wait and see.)

HE7GiSt.jpg

Where's the rest of it? What happens next?

I said 'I wouldn't', but you mean that it's not possible anyway? Correct?

The Bible tells of the coming Tribulation period where a global population will either worship 'the beast' or suffer a martyr's death.

(I guess you'll just have to wait and see.)

Where's the rest of it? What happens next?

Making a semantic point. You can't ban not believing, you can only make it compulsory to believe. I got you weren't dictating. That quite simply doesn't work for religion. Something the IS and other extremists will hopefully learn quickly.

You can lead a horse to water but people will want a beer! ?

Maybe that's where it should stop Scotty ?

In person, yeah, but no one is making anyone read my posts in this format.

(They're actually very avoidable.)

Making a semantic point.

OK, but atheism is still a faith-based belief system.

Making a semantic point. You can't ban not believing, you can only make it compulsory to believe. I got you weren't dictating. That quite simply doesn't work for religion. Something the IS and other extremists will hopefully learn quickly.

You can lead a horse to water but people will want a beer!

...but, but, you are the people.

I'm confused. Is this an 11 page thread because somebody has stopped posting?

It is.

We've not had a eulogy thread for a while.....can't remember who the last one was for.

But R.I.P. anyway, my condolences to the family etc etc

In person, yeah, but no one is making anyone read my posts in this format.

(They're actually very avoidable.)

OK, but atheism is still a faith-based belief system.

Not sure if agree. There's no belief. It's a science based factual system. You can't prove that something doesn't exist. You can only fail to find it or recreate it.

Not sure if agree. There's no belief. It's a science based factual system. You can't prove that something doesn't exist. You can only fail to find it or recreate it.

Atheism is "a science based factual system"?

No it's not. You've just gone on to say that you can't prove the non-existence of God, therefore the question of Her existence or non-existence lies outside scientific discourse. Atheism has to be based on faith.

What nonsense you "preach" :-))

Everyone is born an atheist. Not a single person is born a "believer".

Religion / "faith" is a result of human intervention and fostered from childhood.

Nope, everyone is born with no view either way (and without the capacity to have a view anyway).

Atheism, like theism, is acquired; and since neither position is subject to scientific proof, both are forms of faith.

Nope, everyone is born with no view either way (and without the capacity to have a view anyway).

Atheism, like theism, is acquired; and since neither position is subject to scientific proof, both are forms of faith.

I agree

As an aside the question popped into my mind is there a qualitative difference in belief versus disbelief. Is it more rational to believe in a god or more rational to disbelieve in a god, as a concept without the various creation stories.

Religion / "faith" is a result of human intervention and fostered from childhood.

I'm not religious in anyway shape or form, but that's rubbish mate.

Being an atheist is a choice someone makes, based on opinions they have formed over a period of time. How can you be born with a belief? If you can explain that, I'll possibly try and agree with you :-))

I agree

As an aside the question popped into my mind is there a qualitative difference in belief versus disbelief. Is it more rational to believe in a god or more rational to disbelieve in a god, as a concept without the various creation stories.

Therein lies a fair chunk of the history of philosophy, I suspect.

Rationality isn't immutable through time though. Pre-Enlightenment (indeed probably into the 19th century), the rational argument for most people was for belief; today it would be the other way. Too many variables as well - we'd need to define what we mean by 'god' for a start. And all because ek_celt hasn't posted for a few days ... (he was logged on earlier, I noticed).

Edited by DonnyTJS

Atheism is "a science based factual system"?

No it's not. You've just gone on to say that you can't prove the non-existence of God, therefore the question of Her existence or non-existence lies outside scientific discourse. Atheism has to be based on faith.

Science can never prove that something doesn't exist. You can only put forward your theory based on the evidence and provable facts. If you can't detect a Higgs Boson you need to supply other evidence of its existence or work on better measurement tools.

So, I can't prove God doesn't exist and Scotty can't prove he does. The evidence supports my theory over his, in my opinion.

Technically we're all born agnostic (not sure if there's a special word for blissfully ignorant) I think.

I'm not religious in anyway shape or form, but that's rubbish mate.

Being an atheist is a choice someone makes, based on opinions they have formed over a period of time. How can you be born with a belief? If you can explain that, I'll possibly try and agree with you :-))

No you are the one talking nonsense.

No-one on this planet is borne believing in God.

No-one in this planet is born with faith.

This means you are effectively born atheist i.e. you are born without a belief in God.

What you and others are confusing is when it is said people "become" atheist. You think that this means it is an acquired belief. It is not. It is simply rejecting the teaching and influence of others preaching faith and religion. Religion is an acquired belief.

No you are the one talking nonsense.

No-one on this planet is borne believing in God.

No-one in this planet is born with faith.

This means you are effectively born atheist i.e. you are born without a belief in God.

What you and others are confusing is when it is said people "become" atheist. You think that this means it is an acquired belief. It is not. It is simply rejecting the teaching and influence of others preaching faith and religion. Religion is an acquired belief.

I agree with most of this but you're not born an atheist. It's a conscious choice.

You're born ignorant of the concept of God. You know nothing of it until the state and schools attempt to brain wash you with your parents assistance. ?

Technically we're all born agnostic (not sure if there's a special word for blissfully ignorant) I think.

Yup - 'a-' without 'gnosos' knowledge. Hence 'agnostic'.

Jean-Paul Satre wrote something about his grandmother that sums up my view on the matter: "She believed in nothing. Only her skepticism kept her from being an atheist."