Celtic: No Connection With Irish Republicanism - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Celtic: No Connection With Irish Republicanism

and those who promote terrorist organisations are not welcome at Celtic Park, says the Chief Exec:

http://www.heraldscotland.com/mobile/news/home-news/if-you-know-your-history-lawwell-backtracks-on-irish-republican-identity-comment.1425578921

Nothing new for Celtic and their employees or supporters to try and rewrite the history books.

To be fair most clubs now would try and distance themselves from some of their past mistakes.

utter garbage on the basis the lion rampant remains at the heart of the crest.

I should have said motto not badge/crest. They shortened the club motto to "ready" from "aye ready" of that I am positive - "aye ready" has appeared on the badge in the past, then just "ready" but there have been numerous badge designs on the strip. so presumably you were solely defending my reference to the badge with the "utter garbage" response and you didn't care or were unaware of the motto change.

I should have said motto not badge/crest. They shortened the club motto to "ready" from "aye ready" of that I am positive - "aye ready" has appeared on the badge in the past, then just "ready" but there have been numerous badge designs on the strip. so presumably you were solely defending my reference to the badge with the "utter garbage" response and you didn't care or were unaware of the motto change.

It was shortened in 1959 on the crest and the motto change in 1966. Who where Rangers trying to placate then?

to quote

"Originally the motto was 'AYE WORK AWA', which was then changed to 'READY AYE READY', subsequently shortened to 'AYE READY' and finally in 1966 to 'READY'.

ps, apologies for being rude.

Edited by EddardStark

It was shortened in 1959 on the crest and the motto change in 1966. Who where Rangers trying to placate then?

to quote

"Originally the motto was 'AYE WORK AWA', which was then changed to 'READY AYE READY', subsequently shortened to 'AYE READY' and finally in 1966 to 'READY'.

ps, apologies for being rude.

Aware am taking this off topic and my first reference was a little joke in the whataboutery sense (without having any connection to the Old Firm). But I am interested in club's traditions - like my references, I think the term badge, crest, club crest and motto are all incorrectly used interchangably and I think that also may be the case here. With the motto changing to "ready" in 1966 I am sure the word "aye" continued to appear at the club - maybe through merchandise (which wouldn't have been a big thing in the 70s) but it still existed in some shape or form. I say this because I vividly recall David Murray defending the dropping of "aye" at some point in his tenure when he was referencing to the global branding of the club. If it had already been dropped completely in 1966 he would of course not have had to defend it. I will need to dig out the clip or reference to Murray in case I have taken it out of context from the hazy memory of the past but I seem to recall it being a BBC/STV sports news item............ Edited by Return of Yermaw

Celtic have links with Irish Republicanism and nothing wrong with that. They were founded by irish.

Same way Dundee Utd were.

Some Celtic fans are obsessed by it though. To the extent they see themselves more irish than scottish.

Nothing wrong with recognising their origins but dundee utd seem to get the right balance.

Celtic have links with Irish Republicanism and nothing wrong with that. They were founded by irish.

Some Celtic fans are obsessed by it though. To the extent they see themselves more irish than scottish.

Nothing wrong with recognising their origins but dundee utd seem to get the right balance.

Although you could argue that it's the obsession with Irish Republicanism and their roots that has made Celtic the size they are, while Hibs and Dundee Utd are far less well known around the world and have much smaller followings.

Although you could argue that it's the obsession with Irish Republicanism and their roots that has made Celtic the size they are, while Hibs and Dundee Utd are far less well known around the world and have much smaller followings.

I suspect that Celtic's relationship with their Irish roots would have taken a different (and much healthier) direction if Rangers hadn't been there. And vice-versa.

I would say Dundee Utd don't deny their Irish roots, but other than a green away strip every five years or so it's ancient history. I started supporting United as a wee boy in the late seventies and I'm sure I wasn't even aware of the Irish origins until many years later. ArabTrust have done a little to record it lately - a nice metal badge thing with the Dundee Hibernian crest on it - but in all honesty, United ceased to have any meaningful Irishness the day they became United in 1923.

Bear in mind that Dundee Utd were second divisions also-rans until the early sixties and their local rivals would be Arbroath and East Fife. A pissfart little club, not even really known in Dundee.

Considering all the documents that have came out recently in respect to the troubles, between the Northeastern United states collections and the british security services the republicans lacked for nothing bar an united Ireland and a leadership they could trust.

Edited by phart

Considering all the documents that have came out recently in respect to the troubles, between the Northeastern United states collections and the british security services the republicans lacked for nothing bar an united Ireland and a leadership they could trust.

Was that when John Barnes was manager ?

Bear in mind that Dundee Utd were second divisions also-rans until the early sixties and their local rivals would be Arbroath and East Fife. A pissfart little club, not even really known in Dundee.

Could never quite get why older guys were supporting Utd when I used to attend games regularly in 80s

A lot must have switched from Dundee

; or support both clubs