My Book - Page 7 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heard from another one of the book's reoccurring characters who recognised himself despite the name change - thankfully, like the others who have got in touch, he's really enjoyed it!

Should have just names and shamed :)

Should have just names and shamed :)

You know, the worst bit - and this will probably shock anyone who's read the book - is that I actually held back some stuff that went too far beyond the pale :-))

One of which could have got someone in serious bother, but it is absolutely hilarious.

Buy me a drink on a TA trip some day and I might regale you with that story! :cheers3:

Edited by Dillinger

You know, the worst bit - and this will probably shock anyone who's read the book - is that I actually held back some stuff that went too far beyond the pale :-))

One of which could have got someone in serious bother, but it is absolutely hilarious.

Buy me a drink on a TA trip some day and I might regale you with that story! :cheers3:

Haha if youre going to Dublin and see me you have a deal.

Ill have Kirk and the number 8 on the back of all my tops.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Those are actually impressive sales figures for a book that is (I assume) self-published. I think mine did about 750 its first December but that was with a national publisher, and it was front and centre in Waterstones and one other book shop. I think my second and third books probably still haven't reached 200. :-))

Those are actually impressive sales figures for a book that is (I assume) self-published. I think mine did about 750 its first December but that was with a national publisher, and it was front and centre in Waterstones and one other book shop. I think my second and third books probably still haven't reached 200. :-))

what are the book names and what are they about?

Finally read the book during my holiday. Laugh out loud moments through the book. Personal favourite was the classroom scene of chunder.

A good read Sir. Well done.

Top notch, glad you enjoyed it. The vomit story seems to be getting a lot of chuckles. Wish it was as funny at the time!

Would you do me a massive favour and leave a review on Amazon? Feel like a broken record asking everyone to do that but it's a huge help, makes a big difference when folk go on there and see as many positive reviews

Yeah, average self published books sells 100 in its lifetime. I knew going into it that I wanted to do everything in my power to smash that figure and have an "above average" book. Closing in on doing four times that number in first six months.

As Boynze said, what were the books?

Given I'll be in the air foe a while, I might buy this for the Georgia trip - where is it on sale?

Only on Amazon at the moment buddy - http://tinyurl.com/pfg3t7n

Let us know if you do check it out.

Top notch, glad you enjoyed it. The vomit story seems to be getting a lot of chuckles. Wish it was as funny at the time!

Would you do me a massive favour and leave a review on Amazon? Feel like a broken record asking everyone to do that but it's a huge help, makes a big difference when folk go on there and see as many positive reviews

Yeah, average self published books sells 100 in its lifetime. I knew going into it that I wanted to do everything in my power to smash that figure and have an "above average" book. Closing in on doing four times that number in first six months.

As Boynze said, what were the books?

Only on Amazon at the moment buddy - http://tinyurl.com/pfg3t7n

Let us know if you do check it out.

Ken Brown (golfer) has absolutely hammered his book 'One Putt' all over Twitter, and it's now a best seller. Never thought of going down that road?

The one I've got is 'Saint in the City'. - the early years of Bruce Springsteen. It's excellent.

Think you'd need really need to be a bit of a Springsteen buff to fully appreciate it, but it's a fantastic read.

Thank you sir lol. Yes, you'd need to be a fan I think. Maybe even tough for a casual fan.

But my book before that is a lesson in the power of marketing. A local history book with a national publisher. It got good sales in the local bookshop, but Waterstones had it in their window three Christmases in a row (something the publisher has to pay for). It topped that shop's charts all three Christmases and is now IIRC on it third reprint. Sales are probably around 7,000. Without the publisher I reckon I would have sold 1,000 in the local bookshop.

The one I've got is 'Saint in the City'. - the early years of Bruce Springsteen. It's excellent.

Think you'd need really need to be a bit of a Springsteen buff to fully appreciate it, but it's a fantastic read.

Ah, I remember the book now, as it was discussed on here at the time I'm sure.

Ken Brown (golfer) has absolutely hammered his book 'One Putt' all over Twitter, and it's now a best seller. Never thought of going down that road?

I tend to hammer Facebook more and do the odd post on Twitter, as it's not something I bother with much myself. I've been experimenting this week with paid FB advertising but based on your shout, I'll try switching focus from Facebook to hammering Twitter next week and see where that gets me.

Ordered the book yesterday. Looking forward to it after reading all the positive reviews :ok:

Thanks man, really appreciate that. Folk seem to be enjoying pishing themselves laughing at my misfortune and cringeworthy confessions so should hopefully raise a smile.

Thank you sir lol. Yes, you'd need to be a fan I think. Maybe even tough for a casual fan.

But my book before that is a lesson in the power of marketing. A local history book with a national publisher. It got good sales in the local bookshop, but Waterstones had it in their window three Christmases in a row (something the publisher has to pay for). It topped that shop's charts all three Christmases and is now IIRC on it third reprint. Sales are probably around 7,000. Without the publisher I reckon I would have sold 1,000 in the local bookshop.

7,000, wow! That's fantastic by any measure whatsoever!

Got Kerby on the Kindle. And yes, Dillinger, finally put a review on Amazon for the kindle version! (only took me 4 months).

Thanks, appreciated!

Annoyingly I don't think it's appeared on Amazon - that's two folk recently who have said they've left reviews that haven't appeared. The tax-dodgers at Amazon seem to be randomly choosy about what goes on sometimes, bloody infuriating!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Mate, apologies I keep forgetting to stick up a review. I'll get it done for you.

I would urge anyone who fancies a wee nostalgic trip to give this book a go. Very well written and raised more than a few laughs.

Thanks mate! 3 reviews to go til I hit 100 so no better time. Would be a massive help.

Launching a promotion on Monday selling the ebook for 99p for five days so would love to hit 100 before then.