My Book - Page 4 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

My children still play it at school now. Book is so easy to relate to.

Glad you're enjoying it!

I just bought it, only at Argos, but it's a page turner so far. The school romances took me right back. Great uncomplicated Days.

Cheers, will give you a full review once finished.

HMcG

Thanks mate, good to hear.

Sounding like a broken record but Amazon reviews really will help. Currently messaging a pal to ask him to remove the one star review he left calling me a war criminal, the silly #####

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounding like a broken record but Amazon reviews really will help. Currently messaging a pal to ask him to remove the one star review he left calling me a war criminal, the silly person

Yes they do. I'd be having a word with him for putting that review on. Bad reviews are annoying, and they are often picky for ridiculous reasons, but that's life. They're also useful when approaching future publishers.

It speaks volumes as to the character of our dear Scunnered that he was prepared to buy it even after receiving this message from me yesterday:

"U buying this book of mine, fannybaws? X"

As you said, it was a term of endearment :wub:

Enjoying the first couple of chapters just now, and although you and your wife may have had a collision of worlds in Tesco, you and I clearly shared report cards. IT WAS MEANT TO BE!!!

Shall review on Amazon and Goodreads when done :ok:

Edited by Scunnered

I can't be arsed reading through this thread ( irony be my name,) however I'd be interested in giving your book a try, post up a quick link and I'll give it a go ?

Edited by andreimack

Seems reasonable.

I'm trying to inject a bit of honesty into my sales patter :lol:

Was I your 100th customer?... That's worth a prize... Some would say :)

I can't be sure from the data I get. I'll gie you a quick gam if you don't let on to the other folk who bought today.

Free chapter:

https://www.sendspace.com/file/sr2tah

First line:

10959405_861942137190107_622446464741037

A wee look inside the book, at a chapter discussing childhood toys and games:

11058216_881466821904305_780577142824152

11044606_881466875237633_367833558203891

Kindle's text-to-speech feature tries to cope with Kerby:

In one chapter, I interview my good pal Peter McCaughan, from Northern Ireland, to see how universal my childhood memories are - growing up over there, did kids skeg each other, and if so, what did they call it? Did the yo-yo craze of the late 90s make it across the pond? Did folk at his school also use lunchtime as an excuse to batter each other with WWF wrestling moves?

The first question and answer of the interview are posted below:

G: I have a theory that as well as a ‘dog in school day’, every school has a ‘Phantom Shitter’; a mysterious pupil who randomly poos in unexpected places such as urinals, sinks or even corridors. Any stories which help verify this?

P: I absolutely do, man. We most certainly did have a Phantom Shitter.
I remember it really well; it was one of the best days in school. I was sitting in R.E., Religious Education, and a guy literally burst into the room and said ‘Oh my god, someone’s done a shite on the floor of the toilet!’
They had done a shit on the floor and obviously I ran pretty much straight out to go and look at it. The whole day was magical: people bringing their friends in, even girls just going ‘Look at that!’
It was just amazing.

G: You actually ran out of class to go check it out?

P: Yeah, pretty much. It was one of those days where, you know, it was a substitute teacher or something where it wasn’t a *real* class, so it was definitely okay. But I think even if it hadn’t have been that kinda class, I would have run out. It’s not every day that somebody does an honest-to-god shit on the floor.
What you might be interested in is that I heard of some new developments on this. A family member is a teacher in a school and they were telling me that they have a real ongoing problem at the minute with something called ‘hot-dogging’, where these guys are getting hot dog buns from the canteen and doing shites in them and leaving them all round the school!
Like they’ll be turning up on top of door frames so that somebody opens the door. It’s kind of like the old Beano water bucket thing but it’s a hot dog bun with a shite on it!
So I really like that there’s been real progress. For me, I thought it had reached its logical conclusion, but it seems like there’s miles to go. We’re standing on the shoulders of giants, man.

G: It’s a wee bit like Heelys all over again. I don’t know if you’ve seen these little shoes that kids have now, they’ve got wheels on the bottom. They can just skate through supermarkets and down corridors. I look at them and go: ‘Why the badger did we not have them when we were kids?!’
It’s like that all over again.

P: Totally. It’s the Heelys of shites.

• 2 weeks later...

great to read a book that made u think about yer own childhood, written from a scottish viewpoint. Me and my mate sat for an hour and a half talking about the highly suicidal stuff we use to do as kids off the back of the section about bogies we usually just sit and talk about fifa.

Bits of the book had me in fits of laughter and i thoroughly recommend it.

great to read a book that made u think about yer own childhood, written from a scottish viewpoint. Me and my mate sat for an hour and a half talking about the highly suicidal stuff we use to do as kids off the back of the section about bogies we usually just sit and talk about fifa.

Bits of the book had me in fits of laughter and i thoroughly recommend it.

Good to hear mate, glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for the review on Amazon too!

I'm self publishing through Kindle Digital Publishing and Amazon's CreateSpace (for the paperback)

A lot of work, formatting it etc yourself, but means you can keep full control over all aspects of it.

Nice, self publishing :ok: next week i'll buy the kindle version.