My Book - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Folks,

I've written a (very silly) book about growing up in Scotland in the late 1980s and 90s.

It should raise a good chuckle and stir happy memories for folk on here. Stories of classroom mischief, trading gingie bottles, embarrassing amounts of vomiting, more than one toilet incident, football with jumpers for goalposts, etc.

Should be out soon. If you could go on and like the Facebook page that would be great - already a fair bit of content on there like first line, a sample chapter, a bit of an interview that features in it, and a video of me talking shite about 1998 football stickers.

https://facebook.com/KERBYbook

Edited by Dillinger

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm actually thinking about this. A for my Higher English, how'd you go with publishers, etc?

I'm self publishing through Kindle Digital Publishing and Amazon's CreateSpace (for the paperback)

A lot of work, formatting it etc yourself, but means you can keep full control over all aspects of it.

Full control means you also have to do all the marketing yourself. If you’re also working full-time, that’s a lot of effort.

For some people it’s the answer.

I was lucky enough to get a publisher, and they did take some of the strain of trying to get my books noticed in a crowded market place, but even so it’s up to the author to do a lot of the promoting.

Good luck with it. :ok:

Full control means you also have to do all the marketing yourself. If youre also working full-time, thats a lot of effort.

For some people its the answer.

I was lucky enough to get a publisher, and they did take some of the strain of trying to get my books noticed in a crowded market place, but even so its up to the author to do a lot of the promoting.

I appreciate that side of it (promotion) might be daunting for some but I ran a music festival for a number of years so know all too well how to get stuff out there. Hopefully have that side of it covered.

What was your book, out of interest?

Full control means you also have to do all the marketing yourself. If you’re also working full-time, that’s a lot of effort.

For some people it’s the answer.

I was lucky enough to get a publisher, and they did take some of the strain of trying to get my books noticed in a crowded market place, but even so it’s up to the author to do a lot of the promoting.

Unless you are a massively followed blogger or twitterer, it's hard to get the publicity you need for a self-published book. (Or a publisher-published book, come to think of it...) On the other hand, you get 100% of the e-book sales price, rather than 50% you get with a publisher deal.

Good luck Dillinger. Have you considered phoning the local paper to say you've written a book, doing some dumb stunt or other to get you noticed (if it's crazy enough you could even write a book about it!), or sending a prospectus to small local book festivals to see if they'd have you?

Ahh - that's familiar. Assume it's been posted here before. Nice one.

Unless you are a massively followed blogger or twitterer, it's hard to get the publicity you need for a self-published book. (Or a publisher-published book, come to think of it...) On the other hand, you get 100% of the e-book sales price, rather than 50% you get with a publisher deal.

My first aim is to sell 100 copies. Already got near 250 likes on the Facebook, and still to ramp the promotion up a notch, so happy enough with that.

Good luck Dillinger. Have you considered phoning the local paper to say you've written a book, doing some dumb stunt or other to get you noticed (if it's crazy enough you could even write a book about it!), or sending a prospectus to small local book festivals to see if they'd have you?

Yeah, thinking I'll get in touch with the local paper once I've had a bit of success on the sales front, give it a bigger push hopefully. In terms of daft stunts, got a couple ideas for daft videos etc.

I appreciate that side of it (promotion) might be daunting for some but I ran a music festival for a number of years so know all too well how to get stuff out there. Hopefully have that side of it covered.

What was your book, out of interest?

Clue's in the signature :D

Fantasy fiction, ages 9 and up. Some good reviews in the Scotsman, but pushing it is hard. There's just a lot of competition.