People Who Put Their Sat Nav Slap Bang Right In The Middle Of Their Windscreen - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

People Who Put Their Sat Nav Slap Bang Right In The Middle Of Their Windscreen

I place my Sat Nav in the corner of my windscreen, which corner depends on the direction of travel, if travelling north I place in top right hand, south at bottom right hand and so on.

I find that this better aligns my Sat Nav with the satellite, Only if i were travelling at, or near the North Pole would I then draw diagonal lines from corners to corners on my windscreen thus establishing dead centre and place my Sat Nav there for perfect alignment.

The polizei should be advising these drivers it's illegal.. actually you can fail yer mot wi a air freshner hanging from yer rear view mirror...

As indeed, one of my cars did.

Went to pick it up and got handed a Fail and Pass certificate.

It had failed because of the tree hanging from the mirror. The inspector removed the tree then issued a Pass.

^^^

Twice in the last week I've been to addresses I've never been to be before in towns I've never visited before - a quick check on google maps before departure was all that was needed. Total waste of money.

I drive 8-10000 miles a year around Scotland for my job, have done for 10 years , it has never occurred to me to consider a sat nav, i have an atlas and a brain , Never once got lost.

Gone down the odd ' new by pass' occasionally but still , just follow the signs and you are fine. :ok:

Had Satnav in a few hire cars and it does have some useful features like estimated arrival times, what the speed limit is... etc.

Found it very helpful when driving abroad, tough enough concentrating on driving on the right without working out where you're going too!

Edited by Toepoke

I drive 8-10000 miles a year around Scotland for my job, have done for 10 years , it has never occurred to me to consider a sat nav, i have an atlas and a brain , Never once got lost.

Gone down the odd ' new by pass' occasionally but still , just follow the signs and you are fine. :ok:

oooh look at billy big baws ....

Maybe some folk dont drive outwith their locality often and a sat nav assists them when they do

Signs get you to the area of your destination but not neccesarily to where you want to be exactly

Sat Navs offer peace of mind

If you're a bloke all you need is a 1979 AA road atlas.

You don't stop to ask for directions either. I've only done that once (over 20 years ago) - I stopped in Dunfermline to ask a guy at a bus stop how to get to Cowdenbeath - he claimed he'd never heard of it...

Edited by Charlie Endell

If you're a bloke all you need is a 1979 AA road atlas.

You don't stop to ask for directions either. I've only done that once (over 20 years ago) - I stopped in Dunfermline to ask a guy at a bus stop how to get to Cowdenbeath - he claimed he'd never heard of it...

:-))

oooh look at billy big baws ....

Maybe some folk dont drive outwith their locality often and a sat nav assists them when they do

Signs get you to the area of your destination but not neccesarily to where you want to be exactly

Sat Navs offer peace of mind

Sat nav is like my telly, doesn't work for my house. Put in my address or postcode and takes you to a road with same name in different area. When I was suffocating on bathroom floor during anaphylactic shock I can assure you I had F' all peace of mind as ambulance crew were using sat nav! My dad bought me one and it only comes out if he's going to be in car. Only drive in Scotland and find that Scottish people can't wait to give you directions. In reply to Rossy, used it twice and it sat on passenger seat. Edited by G-Man

When I need it, mine's in the middle. Otherwise cable would be across the steering wheel.

However, there it makes it hard to judge left hand bends at night even with toned-down night colour settings.

Great driving for abroad, particularly in big towns or to remind me of the speed limit, but mainly as Mrs Grim cannae read a map :wink2:

People who put their sat navs in the middle of the windscreen....therefore watching them to drive instead of looking at the feckin road....are a danger and shouldn't be allowed behind the wheel.

I like sat navs. I think that people who create a blindspot right in the middle of their windshield should be stopped by the plod, and fined on the spot for stupidity.

But unless you're sitting on the gear stick (I saw a video once.... ) then the middle of the windscreen isn't the middle of your field of vision.

Doesn't have to be in the middle of your field of vision....it's simply in your field of vision, creating a blindspot.

People that stick their sat nav in the middle of their windscreen are by very definition, over-reliant on the sat nav and not their own eyes and wits......as far as I know, there isn't yet a sat nav out there that can tell you if a kid is stepping out on a zebra crossing or if the car 20 yards in front of you has slammed on his brakes.

Doesn't have to be in the middle of your field of vision....it's simply in your field of vision, creating a blindspot.

People that stick their sat nav in the middle of their windscreen are by very definition, over-reliant on the sat nav and not their own eyes and wits......as far as I know, there isn't yet a sat nav out there that can tell you if a kid is stepping out on a zebra crossing or if the car 20 yards in front of you has slammed on his brakes.

Aye, fair point.

Where should it go? I'd generally gone centre bottom of windscreen before I got a built in one.

I quite often programme where I'm going in for an ETA and traffic reports, but often over rule it on choice of route and mute the voice.

Aye, fair point.

Where should it go? I'd generally gone centre bottom of windscreen before I got a built in one.

I quite often programme where I'm going in for an ETA and traffic reports, but often over rule it on choice of route and mute the voice.

Over to PC Strap and the other fine upholders of the law that normally post on here...