"prospects" That Never Quite Made It. - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

"prospects" That Never Quite Made It.

JagDude

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marshall is unlucky that most of his Scotland career he's been up against Craig Gordon, arguable the best 'keeper we've ever had.

Both Leighton and Goram were better.

Park life, who gives a flying **** who he is playing for? It is all about making it for Scotland and since he has been pretty regular of late for US and has around 20 caps and counting that counts as making it in my book.

Flying stars aside, Marshall has had some pretty horrendous games for Scotland.

Conceding 3 against a diddy nation in a friendly will never be acceptable to me.

If I am not mistaken was he not in the EPL team of the season last year? Linked also with big moves in this transfer window and Cardiff boss moving to quash the reports so it is obvious he rates him as well as Strachan of course. I see you need to roll out Scotland legends to try to belittle him - speaks volumes that.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

We'll never know how well Kennedy would have done, but I had him in the same class bracket as Fletcher, Gordon and McFadden.

I thought that he looked composed and an aura around him.

I also thought that he looked immobile, hence why the Barca game was the perfect game for him to shine. I would have loved for him to have had a long and successful career and he had lots of potential, but I just feel got better with each game he missed.

If I am not mistaken was he not in the EPL team of the season last year? Linked also with big moves in this transfer window and Cardiff boss moving to quash the reports so it is obvious he rates him as well as Strachan of course. I see you need to roll out Scotland legends to try to belittle him - speaks volumes that.

Yes he does play in the English 2nd Division.

And it was the (significantly better) Gordon I was comparing the (even better) Goram and (best ever) Leighton with.

Marshall managed to concede almost 20 goals in his first 7 games. He's nothing special at all.

No one ever seems to mention bad injuries when talking about Eoin Jess. He suffered a bad leg break in a cup game against Clydebank and a further foot/ankle (?) break I think later in his first spell at Aberdeen. He was playing at a very high standard week after week under Alex Smith and Willie Miller and probably deserved the hype.

It would be interesting to know what people think his potential was if they think he didn't reach it. I suppose it didn't work out for him in England, so that could substantiate the underachiever tag. I always felt he benefited from the experience Aberdeen had in the team when he broke through but was not able to provide that experience himself as he got older and we were generally on the slide anyway.

And it was the (significantly better) Gordon I was comparing the (even better) Goram and (best ever) Leighton with.

Marshall managed to concede almost 20 goals in his first 7 games. He's nothing special at all.

Leighton was completely over rated by some fans, gordon and goram were miles better than him. he should have never been ahead of goram at france 98. he had a howler of a competition

Jess was never that consistent at club level : some amazing games , but lots of very ordinary ones too

Him and booth up against brown and McPherson were like little boys lost ( unfortunately )

Always that bit too lightweight

I was at that 0-0 gAme v Italy , and the U21 exit v Sweden

Not convinced the same player either after the Clydebank leg break

Came on as sub v England @ euro 96 ; realised at that point he would never make it as big as folk had hoped for when first on the scene

Boy

Agreed. And McGregor is better too

But whilst we are at it Marshall is better than Neil Sullivan, Paul Gallacher, Matt Gilks, Rab Douglas, Alan Rough, George Wood, Stewart Kennedy, Jonathan Gould and others whose name escapes me who have represented Scotland. Besides this thread is about players who never quite made it so how can a keeper with 16 caps and counting have never made it? Can't work that one out.

Marshall is better than McGregor. I do wish he'd move from Cardiff now Ashe should be playing at a higher level, particularly after last season.

Marshall had a very good season last year but McGregor has been consistently very good for the last 10 years or so now so I would say he has the edge

Marshall is better than McGregor. I do wish he'd move from Cardiff now Ashe should be playing at a higher level, particularly after last season.

Almost a done deal to go to everton, according to the metro anyways. Not heard anything directly though. Would be a great move for him. Howard is a goal a game and Robles is very much inconsistent. Marshall would be number 1 at a canter.

Marshall had a very good season last year but McGregor has been consistently very good for the last 10 years or so now so I would say he has the edge

I may agree with that but that in no way downplays how good Marshall is. I think if you ask Scotland fans of all ages - at present they'd agree this is the strongest we have ever been for goalkeepers. Just now if the team sheet has either of Gordon/McGregor/Marshall in the line-up I have no fears. Yes in the past we has Leighton and Goram together but the number three was piss poor if memory serves and don't get me started on the bad old days of Sullivan and Douglas or Rough and Kennedy.

Leighton was completely over rated by some fans, gordon and goram were miles better than him. he should have never been ahead of goram at france 98. he had a howler of a competition

Fantastic, a Leighton v Goram argument. We've no had one of them for a while. :ok:

I thought Neale Cooper would win more caps than he did.

IIRC he says in Richard Gordons book that just before the WC 86 campaign, Stein had told him, Neil Simpson and Paul McStay that one of them would be Souness partner in the center of midfield for the qualifiers, but Cooper had to pull out injured, and McStay got the nod and basically never looked back as he went out and scored 2 goals that night.