Motherwell Vs Aberdeen - Page 7 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Motherwell Vs Aberdeen

Every football fan the world over has a gripe at refereeing decisions.

I don't think it's right though for an ex-player who's never refereed a game in his life to launch such a personal attack on an official who has no right of reply.

It's a cheap, cheap shot.

His rant about the standard in Scotland suggests he hasn't seen much of, for example, the full-time professional officials south of the border.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like over confidence might be Aberdeen's undoing.

Source?

Scotty

Ah, the joys of selective quoting.

Let me do it like this then...

I know that Well will feel that they have to restore some pride, and that any Premiership match can be a potential banana skin, but the over-riding factor going into this fixture has to be Aberdeen's recent form.

We've won the last 6 League games in a row (all by clean sheets).

(9 of our last 11 games have been clean sheets.)

We have speed, creativity, height, experience, confidence, youth, hunger, professionalism, etc.

What we don't have is depth of squad, but Aberdeen are very close to putting it all together otherwise.

(Someone is due to be on the end of a thrashing, but I'd take 0-1 in a second.)

Not sure when we'll start converting a lot more of the chances we're creating, but get the feeling that the floodgates could open up soon.

I think that you were the one who read my (2) posts selectively, Adam, and never saw how fair and balanced they really were.

(What did I say that was inaccurate?)

Collum is a dreadful, dreadful referee though.

There is no doubting that fact.

About 5 years ago I'd have agreed with you....too much 'by the book'refereeing and promoted too early.

In the last few years though he's got much better. I don't think a few controversial decisions in the last few weeks makes him a bad referee.

About 5 years ago I'd have agreed with you....too much 'by the book'refereeing and promoted too early.

In the last few years though he's got much better. I don't think a few controversial decisions in the last few weeks makes him a bad referee.

For me he suffered a bit from the mass exodus of the experienced guys over the space of a couple of seasons.

I'm with Rossy!

We are all Willie Collum!

:P

Motherwell were better than we have been recently, Aberdeen were the better team, and had they taken their chances, should've won comfortably!

The penalty killed any chance of a comeback.

Wasn't a penalty for me, Mcmanus knew nothing about it, and I'm not even sure it hit his hand anyway?

From a motherwell point of view, while disappointed with the result, there was at least signs of a reaction to the embarrassment at NDP. An increase in work rate and effort and an improved attitude as well as some fresh faces.

I'm with Rossy!

We are all Willie Collum!

:P

Motherwell were better than we have been recently, Aberdeen were the better team, and had they taken their chances, should've won comfortably!

The penalty killed any chance of a comeback.

Wasn't a penalty for me, Mcmanus knew nothing about it, and I'm not even sure it hit his hand anyway?

From a motherwell point of view, while disappointed with the result, there was at least signs of a reaction to the embarrassment at NDP. An increase in work rate and effort and an improved attitude as well as some fresh faces.

I could see why Hamilton took five off you!

If that's you improving you must have been proper Tom Kite because you were barely above rotten today.

Watching Sportscene there, Motherwell are appealing against the red card. Michael Stewart saying they're quite right to do so as it was never a sending off even though it was probably a penalty.

Surely it can't be anything other than a red card?

Let me do it like this then...

I think that you were the one who read my (2) posts selectively, Adam, and never saw how fair and balanced they really were.

(What did I say that was inaccurate?)

Well, there's another three points on the board anyway...

Watching Sportscene there, Motherwell are appealing against the red card. Michael Stewart saying they're quite right to do so as it was never a sending off even though it was probably a penalty.

Surely it can't be anything other than a red card?

It's either a penalty AND a sending off.

Or neither.

Guest faircity

Though I don't mind Motherwell, nothing would give me greater pleasure than seeing Lasley end his career with relegation.

Horrible man and a horrible footballer.

Just seen the penalty infraction...

IMHO, no foul, no penalty, no card of any kind.

Just play on. Corner kick (or whatever).

The ball hit his right forearm which was in front of his chest.

A harsh call that fortunately didn't effect the outcome.

(Hope he wins the appeal.)

Just seen the penalty infraction...

IMHO, no foul, no penalty, no card of any kind.

Just play on. Corner kick (or whatever).

The ball hit his right forearm which was in front of his chest.

A harsh call that fortunately didn't effect the outcome.

(Hope he wins the appeal.)

Just seen the highlights. Totally agree. He has brought his arms in across his body. It hits his hand but in no way intentional or in this "unnatural position" fifa have introduced. Should be back to the old was it intentional rule, as is still in the written laws of the game.

That said, aberdeen were mighty impressive. Watched the first 45 live and they created chance after chance. It was a very dominant display, the like you would expect of celtic and in times gone by Rangers.

Seen a couple of stats about aberdeen's run being the best of any team in Europe currently. A good left back and a good centre half (albeit Reynolds and Taylor are playing well) and maybes a better defensive midfielder would make them a formidable side, in scottish terms. See no reason why they can't see their challenge out to the end. As a scottish football fan I certainly hope so.

Edited by flynnyboy

Having read most of the comments here I was curious to see the incident. Now I have its a stonewall penalty. He moves his hand from his hip up to his chest to block the ball (probably a reflex reaction to protect himself ) I do however feel that a red card is very harsh.

Having read most of the comments here I was curious to see the incident. Now I have its a stonewall penalty. He moves his hand from his hip up to his chest to block the ball (probably a reflex reaction to protect himself ) I do however feel that a red card is very harsh.

If he gives the penalty, he has to send him off. It's either no foul, or a penalty and a red card.

I don't think it was deliberate, so no foul. He knew very little about it.

I know they say it's a double (triple if you include the suspension) punishment, but assuming it was deliberate and mcmanus got booked, Aberdeen miss the penalty, then motherwell go up the other end and equalise....

That's why the rules are probably right as they are.

My feelings exactly, and given that was the angle Collum saw it from I understand why he gave the penalty.

A red card is hard, but there's nothing anyone can do about that.