Atp World Tour 2015 - Page 15 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Atp World Tour 2015

min

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say he is a strong favourite for Wimbledon now. Definitely the strongest player on grass for the past 3 years now......I would put last years loss down to his long term recovery from his surgery.

Eh? You're ripping the pish, right?

Sorry mis-worded or misleading. His fourth Queen's Club title puts him level on four wins with legends of the sport such as John McEnroe, Boris Becker, Lleyton Hewitt and Andy Roddick. Nobody has ever won this title five times....yet.

So no I am not putting him up among the all-time greats of the sport for out-and-out achievements before you get your red knickers in a knot Parklife. :wink2:

Since it's a Tennis thing, here is a redacted copy of an arbitration between WADA and an unnamed athlete regarding their Therapeutic use exemption.

https://wada-main-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/resources/files/cas-2014-a-3751_1.pdf

It gives an insight into how TUE is used to circumvent doing controls. It's not one of the big male players, more likely a middling ranked female player from an English speaking country.

The Express, the Mail, the Torygraph etc will have to slightly adjust their daily hatred of SNP which is conflated to Scotland with the start of Wimbledon. How it must stick in their craw that Murray wasn't born in Surrey - this will be managed by largely focusing on Kim on their front pages. Their hypocrisy during Wimbledon when it comes to Murray is astounding at the best of times; this year, if Murray progresses, I imagine it will reach new levels. This and the Wimbledon crowd which is pretty much a Last Night at the Proms fest for your professional fair weathered tennis fan. All this and the surface, it all adds up to Wimbledon being my least favourite Grand Slam.

Sorry mis-worded or misleading. His fourth Queen's Club title puts him level on four wins with legends of the sport such as John McEnroe, Boris Becker, Lleyton Hewitt and Andy Roddick. Nobody has ever won this title five times....yet.

So no I am not putting him up among the all-time greats of the sport for out-and-out achievements before you get your red knickers in a knot Parklife. :wink2:

:lol:

It did read like you were saying that winning Queens 4 times means he's among the greats of tennis.

Since it's a Tennis thing, here is a redacted copy of an arbitration between WADA and an unnamed athlete regarding their Therapeutic use exemption.

https://wada-main-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/resources/files/cas-2014-a-3751_1.pdf

It gives an insight into how TUE is used to circumvent doing controls. It's not one of the big male players, more likely a middling ranked female player from an English speaking country.

Printed this off to have a read tonight, cheers.

I'd say he is a strong favourite for Wimbledon now. Definitely the strongest player on grass for the past 3 years now......I would put last years loss down to his long term recovery from his surgery.

I don't think he can be considered a strong favourite when Djokovic is in the tournament. At the moment I'd have him as strong favourite for every tournament he plays in, especially given his recent form over Murray.

I don't think he can be considered a strong favourite when Djokovic is in the tournament. At the moment I'd have him as strong favourite for every tournament he plays in, especially given his recent form over Murray.

I think Murray is better on grass. Some of his play at Queens was scintillating. He looks better than 2 years ago where he pretty much skelped Djokovic in the final.

I think Murray is better on grass. Some of his play at Queens was scintillating. He looks better than 2 years ago where he pretty much skelped Djokovic in the final.

Just need to see what the draw turns out like. If he's due to face Djokovic in the final, I think he'll win it. If it's in the semifinal I think he'd lose. Everyone else I think he'll beat on grass.

Btw there are quite a few tricky guys in the 8-20 area of the seeds who you wouldn't want to have in your part of the draw (IMO) - Isner, Anderson, Kyrgios, Nadal, Dimitrov, Tsonga.

Edited by biffer

Bookies are rarely wrong and latest odds:

Djokovic - 5/4

Murray - 5/2

Federer - 6/1

Hard to argue with that and certainly can't see anyone outside of those three winning the tournament.

Murray may or may not be back to (or better) than his 2013 form, but Djokovic is certainly better than he was then.

Djokovic hasn't played a grass tournament in the run up to Wimbledon for a few years now, so has had a good break after Roland Garros. Hasn't affected him in the past either - as his record of reaching 3 out the last 4 Wimbledon finals suggest, including winning the championship twice.

I think dimitrov could go close again, another player who looks at home on grass. Berdych, wawrinka and Tsonga will also be there or thereabouts. I always fear the worst when Murray plays Djokovic, the last time I felt confident was wimbledon last time around and I feel the same again. But yes, the draw will play a big part.

I think dimitrov could go close again, another player who looks at home on grass. Berdych, wawrinka and Tsonga will also be there or thereabouts. I always fear the worst when Murray plays Djokovic, the last time I felt confident was wimbledon last time around and I feel the same again. But yes, the draw will play a big part.

I'd say that Dimitrov has failed to progress during the last year. At this stage of last season he had won three tournaments on three different surfaces - he hasn't even been in a final this time round and was particularly poor at Queen's last week. Perhaps Sharapova is tiring him out in other ways...

Berdych will be solid and play to his seeding and Wawrinka will certainly be a danger and will be on the opposite half of the draw to Murray. Not sure how fit Tsonga is as he's had to pull out of all three grass court tournaments since the French Open.

Hopefully Murray is drawn in the same half as Federer as Stan would have a decent chance against Djokovic, should they meet in the other semi.

Bookies are rarely wrong and latest odds:

Djokovic - 5/4

Murray - 5/2

Federer - 6/1

Hard to argue with that and certainly can't see anyone outside of those three winning the tournament.

Murray may or may not be back to (or better) than his 2013 form, but Djokovic is certainly better than he was then.

Djokovic hasn't played a grass tournament in the run up to Wimbledon for a few years now, so has had a good break after Roland Garros. Hasn't affected him in the past either - as his record of reaching 3 out the last 4 Wimbledon finals suggest, including winning the championship twice.

I think it is fair to say Andy is a better grass court player than Novak so that will hold him in good stead if they should meet I'd say. I think they have played each other a couple of times on grass in crunch matches and both times Andy has won in straight sets (Olympic semi and Wimbledon Final). My chief concern is Murray losing to a Dimitrov-type - that would be a sore one to take again.

I think it is fair to say Andy is a better grass court player than Novak so that will hold him in good stead if they should meet I'd say. I think they have played each other a couple of times on grass in crunch matches and both times Andy has won in straight sets (Olympic semi and Wimbledon Final). My chief concern is Murray losing to a Dimitrov-type - that would be a sore one to take again.

I don't think it's that clear cut when you consider that Djokovic has been in 3 of the last 4 Wimbledon finals, winning 2. Compared to Murray who has appeared in 2, winning one over the same period.

Not sure I agree with Murray being better on grass for the simple fact that Djokovic has a the better record at Wimbledon, despite them starting on the tour at the same time. I also wouldn't pay much attention to a couple of head-to-heads on grass two or three years ago, particularly as Djokovic has won nine on the bounce since then and has a tendency to get inside Andy's head at crucial points in matches. However, 'home' advantage for Murray can't be underestimated.

I don't think it's that clear cut when you consider that Djokovic has been in 3 of the last 4 Wimbledon finals, winning 2. Compared to Murray who has appeared in 2, winning one over the same period.

That was Murray losing against Federer just at tail end of him at his peak but Roger (it is fair to say) is past his best at slam level now but grass still holds his best chance of one last slam win. Djokovic will win Wimbledon if he doesn't face Murray - that is what I will say. But when it comes to grass all the experts admit Murray moves better and then there are the facts that Murray has won more grass court titles than Djokovic and has a better win percentage in all of his grass court career matches compared to Djokovic.

That was Murray losing against Federer just at tail end of him at his peak but Roger (it is fair to say) is past his best at slam level now but grass still holds his best chance of one last slam win. Djokovic will win Wimbledon if he doesn't face Murray - that is what I will say. But when it comes to grass all the experts admit Murray moves better and then there are the facts that Murray has won more grass court titles than Djokovic and has a better win percentage in all of his grass court career matches compared to Djokovic.

I'm not saying Murray's not better, nor am I saying that Djokovic is better/worse. All I am saying is whatever way you look at it, it's not as clear cut as saying "it's fair to say Murray is better".

I'm not saying Murray's not better, nor am I saying that Djokovic is better/worse. All I am saying is whatever way you look at it, it's not as clear cut as saying "it's fair to say Murray is better".

Yes I see what you are saying and perhaps I should reword it and say that I think Murray is better on grass compared to Djokovic. As min pointed out look at Novak's winning streak over Andy away from grass - but on that surface Andy has the upper hand. Regardless of how long ago those two key wins were they also came at a time when pressure was immense on Andy to succeed and he did. Now that is not belittling Novak as a grass courter but I'd say it is his weakest surface (but still have him in top five grass court players at the moment).

• 1 month later...

Back to the tour and a confidence boosting win for Nadal in the Hamburg 500.

A bit surprised that Andy has entered the Washington 500 next week - immediately before two back-to-back Masters tournaments. Thought he would have taken an extra week after the Davis cup exploits. Three solid weeks of tournament play could be tough!

Back to the tour and a confidence boosting win for Nadal in the Hamburg 500.

A bit surprised that Andy has entered the Washington 500 next week - immediately before two back-to-back Masters tournaments. Thought he would have taken an extra week after the Davis cup exploits. Three solid weeks of tournament play could be tough!

Good one to use as a no pressure tournament to ease him in to the hard courts though.

Whatever Andy's reason for entering this tournament, it hasn't worked - defeated at the first hurdle (he also entered the doubles and lost at the same stage on Monday).

Disappointing that he's citing tiredness as an excuse in the post match interviews.

With Federer pulling out of the Rogers Cup next week Andy will be seeded Nr. 2, so a great chance to bounce back!