Can Someone Other Than Celtic Win The Title? - Page 7 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Can Someone Other Than Celtic Win The Title?

I hope we don't gamble at all. It'd be great to be in a title race or win the league but we can't get back in to debt.

There will be no gambling by Aberdeen.

Hopefully a couple in to bolster the squad. Probably a couple out on loan too.

If we can match the quality of the signings last January in Rooney and Logan then that is as much as we can hope for.

Whether that would result in mounting a challenge to Celtic remains to be seen.

Have to say I agree with him lads. McIness clearly has an eye for a bargain. No one is suggesting you throw money about that you don't have but one or two shrewd signings keep things fresh and continues to push guys on. It's been a very good run pof games for you and you have another run of very winable matches in January. This will be the big test I think. Celtic will invariably go on a run of wins, do you guys have the squad to do the same?

i just hope our players have a different mentality to the rest of the people involved in the Scottish game. If they do then they can win it

I posted this earlier in the thread m8. I think the entire country needs to start believing in themselves a bit more. If that starts with Aberdeen this term then all well and good.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The powers that be should be promoting the hell out of our league this season, not many leagues are this tight at the top right now. The championship was supposed to be the tight and entertaining league this season yet it's practically finished already.

Hearn was right...

Apart from England, Northern Ireland, Spain, Italy and Holland of course :-)):-))

i just hope our players have a different mentality to the rest of the people involved in the Scottish game. If they do then they can win it

This is where i think Aberdeen have at least a fleeting chance of staying with Celtic. They seem to have a good blend of experienced guys and youth who can grind out results and follow the game plan set out by McInnes without panicking.

Although Dundee utd are doing well too, their younger players seem to disregard instructions a bit too often and do their own thing which seems to lead to too many poor results.

Looking at some of the odds checker sites this morning, Aberdeen seem to be around the 12-14/1 mark for the title. Surely worth a few quid, no?

Apart from England, Northern Ireland, Spain, Italy and Holland of course :-)):-))

Point taken but I'm sure you get my point too. 5 points between the top three in our top division is unheard of at new year yet the mentality is still the same.

This is where i think Aberdeen have at least a fleeting chance of staying with Celtic. They seem to have a good blend of experienced guys and youth who can grind out results and follow the game plan set out by McInnes without panicking.

Although Dundee utd are doing well too, their younger players seem to disregard instructions a bit too often and do their own thing which seems to lead to too many poor results.

Looking at some of the odds checker sites this morning, Aberdeen seem to be around the 12-14/1 mark for the title. Surely worth a few quid, no?

Worth a fiver at least

Edited by vanderark14

Aye course I do mate and you are spot on. It's another point I've made earlier in this thread. If we don't believe in ourselves, how can we expect anyone else to? No one outside of Scotland is interested just now because all they know is Rangers and Celtic and as a result they expect the latter to walk the League. Please don't think I'm being arrogant when I say that, it's the reality of the situation. Aberdeen making a sustained challenge for the title is the first step towards that changing IMO.

Aye course I do mate and you are spot on. It's another point I've made earlier in this thread. If we don't believe in ourselves, how can we expect anyone else to? No one outside of Scotland is interested just now because all they know is Rangers and Celtic and as a result they expect the latter to walk the League. Please don't think I'm being arrogant when I say that, it's the reality of the situation. Aberdeen making a sustained challenge for the title is the first step towards that changing IMO.

You're not being arrogant at all, it's fact. As you say, along with almost every Scottish football fan, we need a competitive league. Not to harp on about attendances but we've now had the best part of 4k fans at our last 3 away games. This is representative of the interest in the a Dons just now.

Good post.

It is in every club's interest even Celtic and Rangers that other clubs get to stage where they realistically challenge for and win the title.

Create that and the game will flourish.

Much easier said than done.though.

I can't see it.

That is not a long term job. McInnes seems the type to want to plan and execute a plan over a number of years. WBA is a fire fighting job.

In any case surely made for Tony Pulis.

I hope you're right. Really do.

I can't see it.

That is not a long term job. McInnes seems the type to want to plan and execute a plan over a number of years. WBA is a fire fighting job.

In any case surely made for Tony Pulis.

Aye, i reckon his experience at Bristol city may make him a bit more wary of jumping ship hastily again.

Aye, i reckon his experience at Bristol city may make him a bit more wary of jumping ship hastily again.

Seems to be that the majority of English jobs are short term affairs.

For some like Gary Megson, Neil Adams etc that is a godsend as they somehow seem to get one gig after another despite doing usually doing the square root of SFA in the previous one.

That doesn't quite work for Scottish managers - see Owen Coyle for example.

As much as it pains me to say I think McInnes is quite likely to end up at Ibrox but not for 3 or 4 years yet and even then only if the mess is well and truly cleaned up behind the scenes there. And from there onto being Scotland manager.

Only if you can find someone to concentrate for the second it takes to read it.

True :lol:

Remember I was telling you a good while back that the medication they had me on screwed up my attention span, and I couldn't read the length of my nose? Well the opposite is true now, it's all very well if it's something interesting... But ingredient lists, appendixes, the lot.

I'd just like a happy medium... And the ability to once again say TL;DR. :lol:

I agree with that, Aberdeen are a bit more streetwise and therefore more likely to last the pace. United's tendency to lose games at Kilmarnock, Motherwell and St Johnstone underlines why they're not real contenders.

It's a shame, I think they have more flair and skilful players than Aberdeen but they're not robust like Aberdeen. They need a goal scorer like Rooney as well. Good luck to Aberdeen I say.

Edited by adamntg

Hope we sign Armstrong and Reynolds as well! Kill the challenge lol ;-)

You'll know Scottish fitba is back when the Dons n Arabs start competing for the title and stop falling out of Europe before August. Sadly we are bit away from that although fair play....Ronny is doing his best.

Seems to be that the majority of English jobs are short term affairs.

For some like Gary Megson, Neil Adams etc that is a godsend as they somehow seem to get one gig after another despite doing usually doing the square root of SFA in the previous one.

That doesn't quite work for Scottish managers - see Owen Coyle for example.

As much as it pains me to say I think McInnes is quite likely to end up at Ibrox but not for 3 or 4 years yet and even then only if the mess is well and truly cleaned up behind the scenes there. And from there onto being Scotland manager.

Steady on. Getting a bit ahead of yourself here! Whilst McInnes has transformed Aberdeen on and off the park he has achieved little yet. If he can get the team regularly to within touching distance of Celtic and add another cup or two then the Scotland job may come into the reckoning. At the moment, he has considering resources, only restored Aberdeen to a position they should be in. Being biased, I think pound for pound the best manager in the league at the minute is Tommy Wright.