Interest Rate Hikes - Potential Impact On Households - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Interest Rate Hikes - Potential Impact On Households

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest, I don't have an awful lot of sympathy for folk who find it difficult to cope with increasing interest rates. Interest rates have been at a record low for the best part of a decade now. Folk taking out loans and mortgages should have factored in a rate rise to their calculations before getting into debt. Having said that it is still far too easy for folk who can't afford it to get credit so the banks have to take a lot of the blame as well. They really should know better by now.

The answer is fairly simple. if you are worried about interest rates don't borrow money.

Interest rates, or rising interest rates, will be the next economic timebomb IMO. Borrowers are now used to low rates and not many of them really understand the percentages involved. Many see a rise from 0.5% to 1% as a half percent rise.

Never had an ISA (and never will) but can I ask those that do why they have got them? With almost £11,000 in capital gains allowance offset by management/admin/set-up fees, what's the appeal?

I've been warning the wife about this. She's quite sensible with money, but don't think she realises the effect it would have on our mortgage payments if the interest rates go up.

We've started looking at moving house, and it is a tricky situation, we don't want to regret moving into a house that's too small or in a bad area, but also don't want to put ourselves in the position where a hike in interest rates would cause us problems....

We've had a very good innings on the run of low interest rate. People should be lumping in on their mortgages just now.

Problem is over the same period we've been hammered by inflation.

Our monthly mortgage payment is small but we're still saving next to zilch.

(Mind you in my old days as a saver I didn't have weans!)...

Interest rates, or rising interest rates, will be the next economic timebomb IMO. Borrowers are now used to low rates and not many of them really understand the percentages involved. Many see a rise from 0.5% to 1% as a half percent rise.

Never had an ISA (and never will) but can I ask those that do why they have got them? With almost £11,000 in capital gains allowance offset by management/admin/set-up fees, what's the appeal?

Simply use my cash ISAs (instant access, no withdrawal penalties) to hold my 'rainy day' money for the unexpected. I wouldn't entertain a shares ISA. Edited by Charlie Endell

Try and find a long term fixed rate.

Yeah, we fixed originally for 3 years, which in hindsight was a mistake, but at least that way we know what it costs. Just on the variable just now, as we plan to move in the next 10 months or so.

Was reading about this last night after listening to a podcast.

After looking into, it wont have a major impact on my mortgage, although Id obviously like to see the rates as low as possible for the foreseeable future. Ive previously put my savings into my mortgage, and upped what Im paying to clear the debt ASAP, only have 6 years to go, so will have it all paid off in 9 years as opposed to 25. If rates then increase massively, my savings will be profitable, which would be nice.

I know a few people who would be badly hit by a significant rate increase though, not everyone has much flexibility as they need sadly.

Folk will say invest elsewhere (with the potential of better returns, but riskier) but I always like to have some 'rainy day' money that I can easily access. I have two cash ISAs, which currently pay 1.5% and 1.75% :(.

Newcastle building society pays 2.54 at the moment

Santander pays 3% on balances up to £20k in its current account. If your partner of even yourself is a non tax payer then that is worth looking at in terms of setting it up. In terms of fixed deals then the maximum I would fix would be for two years to ensure you don't miss out on potential interest rate rises. Cash ISA's are slowly becoming not worth it unless you have a very significant ISA built up over a period of time. Stocks and Shares ISA's a better option provided you take the long term view. Over the last 4 years I have returned around 20% on average.

In terms of mortgages then lots of buyers who took out fixed rate deals may actually be paying above the standard rate. So when they come out of these deals they may actually have a bit of spare cash. My lad being one of them.