Interest Rate Hikes - Potential Impact On Households - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Interest Rate Hikes - Potential Impact On Households

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Being looking for a savings plan, then Bingo.

As a part time employee of Tesco I have been offered a 3 year share save scheme.

Offer price is £1.50 and contributions can be to a maximum of £500 per month.

Share price at roughly £ 1.85 now- win- win situation that I will be contributing substantially to.

Being looking for a savings plan, then Bingo.

As a part time employee of Tesco I have been offered a 3 year share save scheme.

Offer price is £1.50 and contributions can be to a maximum of £500 per month.

Share price at roughly £ 1.85 now- win- win situation that I will be contributing substantially to.

I've been investing in my company shareplan for over ten years, and it has pretty much always been a winner. A hassle-free investment as well - no third parties to deal with.

Worst case scenario- cash back in full.

Just have to delay my retirement and do the 3 years.

Do you get a bonus payment for completing the three years or do you get an interest payment on your money if you pull out before term?

Example= save £200 per month over 3 years= £7200 invested at £1,50 per share.

If share is at £3 after 3 years then return is twice savings £14,400.

Is share collapses [ again] then money back.

These schemes usually have some sort of interest/bonus if you take money option at the end of it. Maybe you work for a company of tight erses though?

Only concession is price that we are getting the share at.

£1.50 as opposed to about £1.85 at present.

I don't doubt this. But check again. There usually is a percentage of interest of you take your money back.

First mortgage in 1991 was a fixed rate of 12.99%

It was a good deal.

1991 was my first mortgage too. Can't remember the rate but it was high.

Payments halved within 2 years.

More recently was on a fixed which reverted to Base Rate plus 0.75% - missed out when the rates fell initially but now in a great position. Endowment due out in about 15 months - will need to see if I use it to bring down amount owed to a relatively minor amount or look to invest it. That will depend on how much the Bank allow me to repay without penalty or altering the interest rate. Either way plan to be mortgage free with 5 years when wife's endowment matures. Moved to the repayment when it became obvious endowments would leave us sort.

Going by the letters I've been getting from Aviva I'll be lucky to get 67% of the target amount and to think it sold to me on the basis that I'd have a decent sum left over after clearing the mortgage.

Question - when interest rates change do the banks calculate the new monthly payment on the outstanding amount at the time of the change or is it on the original amount borrowed?

To be honest, I don't have an awful lot of sympathy for folk who find it difficult to cope with increasing interest rates. Interest rates have been at a record low for the best part of a decade now. Folk taking out loans and mortgages should have factored in a rate rise to their calculations before getting into debt. Having said that it is still far too easy for folk who can't afford it to get credit so the banks have to take a lot of the blame as well. They really should know better by now.

The answer is fairly simple. if you are worried about interest rates don't borrow money.

They have been taking out these high mortgages because the cost of housing has increased with no cheaper alternatives and without taking high mortgages they wouldn't be able to get housing.

I'm pondering wherever to cash mine in - it's on target (£32,000) but still another eight years to run (£60 per month). Out of curiosity I might give Zurich a bell to see what its surrender value is.

I get a surrender value on my yearly statement.

Not worth it for me with less than 18 months to go.

Aviva to top up amount by up to £3200 - no idea how they work it out. I'm also hoping there is a hefty final bonus added to take me closer to my target amount. My target is just less than yours and I pay £40 a month - would appear that Zurich are getting much better returns than Aviva.