Interest Rate Hikes - Potential Impact On Households - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Interest Rate Hikes - Potential Impact On Households

I think if you surrender it you're liable to pay tax? I know it's not a good idea to make adjustments to them once they start.

A real bummer I'd previously had a couple of shorter term endowments that served me well. I guess the magical golden goose was only going to lay a finite number of eggs...

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think if you surrender it you're liable to pay tax? I know it's not a good idea to make adjustments to them once they start.

A real bummer I'd previously had a couple of shorter term endowments that served me well. I guess the magical golden goose was only going to lay a finite number of eggs...

My financial adviser (teecee- ...) told me you don't pay tax on the surrender value after you've held the endowment for a certain length of time (ten years?). I do quite like having it as it's my financial 'joker' should I ever hit really hard times.

I'm pondering wherever to cash mine in - it's on target (£32,000) but still another eight years to run (£60 per month). Out of curiosity I might give Zurich a bell to see what its surrender value is.

Don't cash it in - pay off your mortgage from your war chest and view your endowment as a pension pot.

They have been taking out these high mortgages because the cost of housing has increased with no cheaper alternatives and without taking high mortgages they wouldn't be able to get housing.

IMO, folk need to start to learn how to live within their means. One of the biggest problems facing society and individuals is unsustainable personal debt. I couldn't afford to buy a house until was in my 30s so I didn't.

I think financial planning should be compulsory in all schools. Far too many people don't understand what the consequences are of getting into unsustainable debt.

IMO, folk need to start to learn how to live within their means. One of the biggest problems facing society and individuals is unsustainable personal debt. I couldn't afford to buy a house until was in my 30s so I didn't.

I think financial planning should be compulsory in all schools. Far too many people don't understand what the consequences are of getting into unsustainable debt.

Do they still have Arithmetic O Levels in Scotland as well as Maths? For me this was a fantastic idea to split these.

I have taken out a mortgage for 155k, my monthly payment is a little over 750, if there were to be a interest rise of 3% it would take my payment to ovrr 1100 a month..that is what i looked at when deciding if i could afford my mortgage, anymore than 3% i think i would be struggling...whats the chances of them rising above 3% in the near future?

On another note, the amount of times i heard "im voting no because interest rates will rise if we vote yes" theres only one way they could go and that is up

I have taken out a mortgage for 155k, my monthly payment is a little over 750, if there were to be a interest rise of 3% it would take my payment to ovrr 1100 a month..that is what i looked at when deciding if i could afford my mortgage, anymore than 3% i think i would be struggling...whats the chances of them rising above 3% in the near future?

On another note, the amount of times i heard "im voting no because interest rates will rise if we vote yes" theres only one way they could go and that is up

I doubt they will hit 3% for a long time. I suppose its about anticipating longer term and making changes/contingencies well in advance. Have a read of this

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-1607881/When-UK-rates-rise.html

First mortgage in 1991 was a fixed rate of 12.99%

It was a good deal.

PHUKKSAKE.... I got a fixed rate of 0.5% ABOVE base rate 7 years ago when it was 5.5%.. laughing now as I have a 1% rate,,,,

Low interest rates are here for the foreseeable future, i cant see it going above 3% in the nextten years, the economy simply cant handle it

agree, Japan went through the same recession

thing in the 90's and had low interest rates for around 20 years....

agree, Japan went through the same recession

thing in the 90's and had low interest rates for around 20 years....

...and look at the precarious position Japan now stands at - back in recession. Japan isn't a good example to look at because it's predominantly an export economy and its central bank was trying to protect its export market at all costs. Japan is one of the worst market interventionists.

Interest rates are the primary tool to control your economy. When you have such low, or negative rates, you have almost no control left (other than QE). You can't have either for prolonged periods or you end up like Japan.

is Japan worse than we are?

I also thing politically Interest rates wont go up much, a wee bit after the election but that will be it. far too many people in 'middle england' will be hurt by an increase.

I am benefiting from low interest rates, so long may they continue, I can take a bump up, but would rather not.