First Female First Minister - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

First Female First Minister

Generations of young men were conscripted / sent to the slaughterhouse in war.

We die younger by about 10 years.

We kill ourselves in the ratio of 10: 1 versus women.

In 1918 after millions were killed 'Men' were given the vote.

Ten years late you get the vote on our backs and then blame us for it. How many of you apart from one died for the vote.

Feminism? Pfffft. How about some Masculinism first.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are low in some sectors, but Scottish politics isnt one of them.

The most recent stats I could find state that 67% of women aged between 16-64 are in employment, compared to 76% of males in the same age group. So it does make sense that more men would make their way to the top.

And that is to the Scottish Parliaments credit - however my point stands that overall women are hugely under-represented in top jobs.

In terms of your employment stats all they are doing is proving my point - women are not getting the opportunities.

Edited by Lamia

Generations of young men were conscripted / sent to the slaughterhouse in war.

We die younger by about 10 years.

We kill ourselves in the ratio of 10: 1 versus women.

In 1918 after millions were killed 'Men' were given the vote.

Ten years late you get the vote on our backs and then blame us for it. How many of you apart from one died for the vote.

Feminism? Pfffft. How about some Masculinism first.

Nope I am not biting :)

Biggest frustration I have is the amount of times I have seen fantastic skilled women effectively give up their career when they have kids. Priorities change and have seen many times where they no longer wish to work full time or indeed climb the corporate ladder.

I believe this to be a major factor in us not achieving 50/50 at the top end. I genuinely have not seen or heard anyone indicate in any boardrooms/management meetings where decisions are made to prevent woman from going for interviews for roles. In fact , the only evidence of any discrimination I have seen is in positive discrimination.

And that is to the Scottish Parliaments credit - however my point stands that overall women are hugely under-represented in top jobs.

In terms of your employment stats all they are doing is proving my point - women are not getting the opportunities.

With all due respect, bollox.

Women have a very good reason for giving up work at certain points of their lives.

Are you saying that this sound be ignored?

Talking of bollox....^^

I'm not. The last three MD/CEOs I have worked for have all been female. More than 50% of my peer group have been female in the same timeframe. However, these are just people who made life choices on their road. Many others make different choices which leads to the imbalance eventually.

I think, as mentioned earlier, the discrepancy around unequal pay for the same job and performance is more important.

Edited by andymac

Nicola Sturgeon becoming FM shows not only what Females can achieve if they put their minds to it but also what anyone from a working class background can achieve.

To be fair Henry McLeish, Jack McConnell and Alex Salmond have already done that.

Male or female on a personal level what's more significant is that the First Minister is now younger than me. Jeez I feel old! :(

I'm not. The last three MD/CEOs I have worked for have all been female. More than 50% of my peer group have been female in the same timeframe. However, these are just people who made life choices on their road. Many others make different choices which leads to the imbalance eventually.

I think, as mentioned earlier, the discrepancy around unequal pay for the same job and performance is more important.

It isn't always about choice if it was I wouldn't have an issue but I know that some people want to progress but can't because they are single parents - better childcare would help some of them do this.

A lot of women don't progress because of kids but this should not stop women progressing if they want to.

A lot of women don't progress because of kids but this should not stop women progressing if they want to.

A lot of men who want to progress dont get the opportunities as well.

Whats the ratio of women who put careers over their family, surely its an incredibly important statistic?

There are many other things that could enable and encourage more women that are not progressing for other reasons. Anyone that thinks this is good enough is quite frankly wrong. We could make things better,

That won't, however, be due to their gender.

Well thats absolute nonsense, unless you know of every promotion?

I know of a few cases of 'positive discrimination' or whatever other nonsense one would want to call it.

A female poster has said the same on this thread, but it was ignored.

That won't, however, be due to their gender.

Well thats absolute nonsense, unless you know of every promotion?

I know of a few cases of 'positive discrimination' or whatever other nonsense one would want to call it.

A female poster has said the same on this thread, but it was ignored.

If I may rephrase...

In the absence of any inside knowledge, it would be my guess, based on my life experience, and supported by many, many social studies, that their gender would not have been the deciding factor.