First Female First Minister - Page 5 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

First Female First Minister

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it was noticeable that many No-women had a real loathing of the SNP and in particular Alex Salmond. I'll be curious to see how the same folk talk about Nicola and the SNP a year from now. Maybe this is the way to turn them to Yes...

One thing that did irk me about Sturgeon becoming FM was the media's obsession with her appearance. There was an article in the Herald last Saturday that was as concerned with her make up and shoes as it was her political policies. I cannot imagine an article about a male politician in a similar position being as trivialised as that.

However, this can also work in her favour. Certain commentators won't be nearly as quick to criticise her physical appearance as they were Salmond's. If they do, they run the risk of appearing misogynistic.

The wee lassie who sat down in front of the hûn baying mob in George Sq and got her saltire dragged from her, was the most pivotal memory for me over the whole thing.

She was only a wee lassie too - one of her school teachers is a member of the same SNP branch as I am.

She was only a wee lassie too - one of her school teachers is a member of the same SNP branch as I am.

Remember the lassies who surrounded the police van that was taking a kicking during the riots in London a couple of years ago? Reminds me of them.

I was walking through Richmond on Thames on the riverside path later that same year and one of them gave me a wristband to support the end of 'dis-criminal-isation' of young people. I was charmed and delighted. My wife gave a snort and said it's not middle class white lasses like that being harassed by the police...

Well I read your first sentence as some sort of insinuation, that we were somehow being typical men for not celebrating Nicola's ascension. Truth is I was feeling pretty sad that Alex was simultaneously stepping down and the comment just jarred but reading it again I was a bit rude, an overreaction on my part. I stand by the points I made I just could have said it better. Sorry for any offense. (Hopefully G-Man has not retired in disgust.) Everything is ing me off right now (well for the last two months at least). I'll wind it in.

Congrats. She has big shoes to fill.

Yes, retired but not in disgust, just don't want to go further with it. Very, very, very touchy subject and surprised myself getting involved in the thread. All your fault ya moany barsteward!! What works for me is long drive, usually heading towards Kippen with lots of sing a long music and belt it out, good few sad songs too for a good greet. People really don't recognise the benefit of a good crying jag, not crying for a particular reason, death, loss, pain etc just a good old greet. Cheers me up no end.

Edited by G-Man

Yes, retired but not in disgust, just don't want to go further with it. Very, very, very touchy subject and surprised myself getting involved in the thread. All your fault ya moany barsteward!! What works for me is long drive, usually heading towards Kippen with lots of sing a long music and belt it out, good few sad songs too for a good greet. People really don't recognise the benefit of a good crying jag, not crying for a particular reason, death, loss, pain etc just a good old greet. Cheers me up no end.

You've only got to ask furra cuddle and Im there for ye hen :love:

For me too.

Let's agree to blame Lamia, she started it. :wink2:

You've only got to ask furra cuddle and Im there for ye hen :love:

I'm waiting and even have cheddar cheese for you! ;)

For me too.

Let's agree to blame Lamia, she started it. :wink2:

Aye but lets be honest, everything from space to feathers is touchy for you. JS nearly died eating cheese in Prague and you don't see him moany about everything cheese related. Lamia is safe, she stuck with FE even after that picture, a woman of courage right enough.

Aye but lets be honest, everything from space to feathers is touchy for you. JS nearly died eating cheese in Prague and you don't see him moany about everything cheese related. Lamia is safe, she stuck with FE even after that picture, a woman of courage right enough.

What picture was that again G?

:lol:

I know! that is what I am saying.

You got a link to this cheese incident?

I know! that is what I am saying.

You got a link to this cheese incident?

No link and it's one of those incidents that isn't as funny in the retelling but was hysterical in the moment. Lets just say mascarpone is not the cheese that JS expected in a cheese and ham sandwich and every time I think about it I cry with laughter.

No link and it's one of those incidents that isn't as funny in the retelling but was hysterical in the moment. Lets just say mascarpone is not the cheese that JS expected in a cheese and ham sandwich and every time I think about it I cry with laughter.

Sounds like a potentially disastrous and explosive sandwich.

Was all that was left de brie ?

She is our 5th First Minister. During the tenure of the other 4 male First Ministers, which women do you think would have been better for the job and how do you think they were prevented from getting it?

The point is that in society there should be equal numbers of men and women who were good enough to do the job. It there aren't in Holyrood that is a failing. Secondly you have ignored the point about Westminster.

Well I read your first sentence as some sort of insinuation, that we were somehow being typical men for not celebrating Nicola's ascension.

There was no insinuation you are overly sensitive - it was an observation. There was no thread and I was surprised. End of.

Unfortunately, the best candidate will usually be a man.

Thats no my fault, nor Orraloons though, you may blame the male sex, and you may have a point, but Id argue that you need to look elsewhere as well.

I recall that you posted a comment about being sick of women in the build up to the Referendum, you said most were uninterested in real life and only interested in soaps, or something like that.

In the campaign run up, I was at many meetings, marches and debates, and the majority, if not significant majority of attendees were men. These were free to attend, most were open to the public, so why the difference in attendance?

Why is there a need for a Women for Independence group? If I were invited to a Men for Independence group, Id tell them where to go.

1410712225763_wps_89_GLASGOW_SCOTLAND_SE

_77628862_rallypa.jpg

Independence.jpg

Theres a few photos from the most politically engaged period of our lives, and the majority are men.

No one is saying its an ideal world, but woman up and stop passing the buck. Also, as much as some dont want to accept it, children will still be an issue for a significant number of women, and that quite simply will affect top position stats.

The best candidate will usually be a man - why?

Yes I did say that about women but take it a step further why is it many women are not interested - maybe they don't like the way politics operates, maybe they don't like the shouting down and talking over each other, maybe they don't like the way politics seems to be all about manipulation and playing games, maybe some women feel a lack of confidence to get involved because of the male domination - there could be many reasons. So maybe there is something wrong with the way we do politics that we could change and women would be more interested and maybe that is why we need a women for indy group.

The point is that in society there should be equal numbers of men and women who were good enough to do the job. It there aren't in Holyrood that is a failing. Secondly you have ignored the point about Westminster.

Everybody does that and if they do talk about it they just say. "well look at the female who did get top job and what she did." Yes because all the male PM's have been fantastic at keeping us out of wars, keeping children safe from rapists, securing peoples human rights, etc.

Lamia......... I feel like Michael Corleone, "Just when I thought I was out they pull me back in." I'm away for whisky and put on some Barry Manilow to make me happy again.

Gloria Gaynor surely :D

Again one of those weird internet connection things where we feel we know people we've never met properly. I can't hear

without thinking that if FE was near his head would explode. :-)) ( I love her and the song but get really p'd off as when people forget my name Gloria seems to stick and they call me that instead. :angry: Don't mind Mitzi or Janet though. 1 large whisky and I'm gibbering. I'll sign off before I get all womanly and accost young men not fighting or greet because it's my monthly or start knitting.)

The best candidate will usually be a man - why?

Yes I did say that about women but take it a step further why is it many women are not interested - maybe they don't like the way politics operates, maybe they don't like the shouting down and talking over each other, maybe they don't like the way politics seems to be all about manipulation and playing games, maybe some women feel a lack of confidence to get involved because of the male domination - there could be many reasons. So maybe there is something wrong with the way we do politics that we could change and women would be more interested and maybe that is why we need a women for indy group.

Simple maths would dictate, that with a higher number of men in politics, this would lead to most suitable candidates being men.

The worst debate IMO was Salmond v Lamont, it pretty much ended up in a shouting match.

Again one of those weird internet connection things where we feel we know people we've never met properly. I can't hear

without thinking that if FE was near his head would explode. :-)) ( I love her and the song but get really p'd off as when people forget my name Gloria seems to stick and they call me that instead. :angry: Don't mind Mitzi or Janet though. 1 large whisky and I'm gibbering. I'll sign off before I get all womanly and accost young men not fighting or greet because it's my monthly or start knitting.)

That's made me laugh so much :lol:

Doh, stupid man!!

I did of course man Sturgeon v Lamont :blush:

:guitar: You're a big daftie. You're a big daftie. :sing:

I rest my case in battle of the sexes. :P

Anyway I'm definitely turning off my computer, poured another cheeky wee dram and if you remember, I have a habit of purchasing stuff when under the influence. Still have the bark coloured petite corduroy tunic if you're ever invited to a fancy dress.

:guitar: You're a big daftie. You're a big daftie. :sing:

I rest my case in battle of the sexes. :P

Anyway I'm definitely turning off my computer, poured another cheeky wee dram and if you remember, I have a habit of purchasing stuff when under the influence. Still have the bark coloured petite corduroy tunic if you're ever invited to a fancy dress.

Brilliant ! Can't wait to see the shopping trolley. :lol: