No Fight.. - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

No Fight..

TheReid

copied from other thread .........

simple case of a team mainly made up of Championship level players who were a little battle weary physically and mentally from the tough Ireland game playing against a side made up of Champions League players who'd had a mediocre match v Slovenia and were right up for this one. You could see that from their tremendous workrate.

Yeah, England drew us into mistakes continually and our players were on a come down after Roi. That's pretty much the crux of it tonight. Strachan will learn from this and we'll hammer the gibraltans and he'll have us sorted for Dublin, we are a good away side let's not forget.

We move on

It is very hard mentally and physically to get yourself up for 2 big games in quick succession.

Even a mediocre England were always going to beat Slovenia and even if they didn't, who cares. They will win their group without breaking sweat.

We on the other hand HAD to be at our best in a 50-50 match v Ireland just to stay in touch in a ferociously tough group and then get ourselves up for a fixture against our most bitter enemy England! It is unrealistic and sometimes it just isn't possible. Nothing to do with "not showing enough fight".

The players gave what little they had in their tanks.

It is very hard mentally and physically to get yourself up for 2 big games in quick succession.

Even a mediocre England were always going to beat Slovenia and even if they didn't, who cares. They will win their group without breaking sweat.

We on the other hand HAD to be at our best in a 50-50 match v Ireland just to stay in touch in a ferociously tough group and then get ourselves up for a fixture against our most bitter enemy England! It is unrealistic and sometimes it just isn't possible. Nothing to do with "not showing enough fight".

The players gave what little they had in their tanks.

I completed agree that's what I was saying walking back from the stadium

Pure garbage.They fought and did the best they could,beaten by a better team on the night.

Agree. They were far superior and their premier players showed the difference between premiership and championship with our defence.

This game came at the wrong time for us.

I was worried after the Ireland game that it would have taken too much out of us mentally and physically.

England are technically better. And we didn't have enough energy to compete at our best.

We need to forget this one quickly and give everything to make sure of no slip up vs Gibraltar.

Ridiculous fixture to have anyway.

Totally outplayed and second to everything.

Ireland match clearly took its toll on some of the lads.

Saying that, I would have the 3 vital points against Ireland than a friendly victory any day of the week.

Still bloody hurts.

The lack of fight really annoyed me. England wanted it more, well that's the way it looked anyway. Yes we were jaded from Friday whereas England had a piss easy game against Slovenia but still expected us to fight a bit harder, this was no ordinary friendly.

A back four made up of Championship players and a 20 year old still learning got exposed tonight.

Still, I'd've taken a victory over Ireland in a Euro qualifier over any friendly and we'll learn from the mistakes tonight so onwards and upwards.

Not enough fight. What we may lack in ability we make up in passion, sadly that was missing tonight, and yes, by that I mean kicking them about the place, hassling the fk out of them and basically getting it right up them. We let them come to our patch and take the victory, EXTREMELY disappointing.

Not enough fight. What we may lack in ability we make up in passion, sadly that was missing tonight, and yes, by that I mean kicking them about the place, hassling the fk out of them and basically getting it right up them. We let them come to our patch and take the victory, EXTREMELY disappointing.

taxi back to the 70s for you sunshine

players who were a little battle weary physically and mentally .

I hink this is just a very weak excuse to be honest

So you think some players were holding back.?

No they seemed scared - far far too much respect shown.

The only positive's I can really think of are negatives:

- A much needed reality check. We were guilty of believing our own press a bit too much. We were the supposed form team, we were supposed to intimidate them, we were supposed to see an England team who wouldn't want it as bad as us. No, England were always the favourites and our squad isn't quite the level I think some of us think we are.

- Chris Martin will surely see few caps going forward. Not nice to be overly critical of individuals but I seen nothing of value in previous games and was an empty shirt last night again.

- On Strachan, concerned he picked Martin again and was disappointed he seemed reluctant to praise May and Russell in post-match comments.

- Struggling to think of a player who would get pass marks.

- Squad looked very thin. Strachan is going to have to start blooding some others - Russell and May both look worth more game time than Smith.

- A valid comment in last nights post-match analysis - it is not a good enough excuse to say we put everything into Friday night and the players were tired. We have massive double headers next year and the players need to show up to both.

All in all, the match was useful for learning about the not-so-nice stuff. A crap night all round but should be plenty there for Strachan to chew on.

Credit to England as well. Looked decent - sharper, fitter, faster. Benefited from playing a team playing sh*te but still looked a class above us. And when you look at the respective squad lists and the clubs their players play for, it should have been no surprise: England's read: Man City, Arsenal, Liverpool, Liverpool, Man United, Arsenal, Man United, Everton, Liverpool, etc. Our's read: West Brom, Norwich, Hearts, Hull City, Blackburn Rovers, etc.

All in all, a game for us all to forget. Except Strachan - he's got some work picking over the bones after that.

Edited by Auld_Reekie