Strikers? - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Strikers?

Clyde1998

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Martin looked very poor last night, even when he came on against Ireland his touch, movement and overall contribution wasnt the best.

Russell and May have a bit pace and movement about them, Rhodes, again for me just dosent have the movement and workrate for international football. McCormack must be knocking at the door.

Rhodes strikes me as the type of striker who could bag 4 or 5 against very weak teams, so the Gibraltar game could be perfect for him.

True, but what's the point in that? If he's not of use for any other games then how is it fair to drop others that desperately need goals?

Is start both Fletcher and Naismith who could do with increasing their tallies. Strikers need the psychological boost and goals is the only thing missing for Fletcher right now. Rhodes should be no where near the team.

Though, saying that, I'd prefer him to C.Martin.

May should get at least 30mins in that game

We just don't score a lot of goals. Look at the latest team from Ireland and England. From the whole squad we're at 30 goals. Steven Fletcher needs to bag a few for the national team, that'll do wonders for him. 1 in 18 isn't ideal from our main firepower.

Agree with other posts, Chris Martin looked totally out his depth on Friday and last night. Russell and May injected a bit of passion when they came on. Hopefully if they keep progressing they'll be in with contention from now on.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotland_national_football_team

May should be given his chance as I think Martin has been given one or two cuts at it and he just doesn't look up to it.

We were talking about this on the bus last night. Up front is a real worry for me. Anything happens to Fletcher and we are fecked. Naismith can of course play there but is less effective IMO. Best players in their best positions and all that

I had argued, on here, that Martin should be given a chance, based on the fact that he is the top scorer in the English Championship. I now have to be honest and say he has been given a chance but is, sadly, not good, or mobile, enough for International Football. I suppose, with Derby, he gets a lot of chances inside the box, whereas with us, he doesn't get the same goal opportunities, so has to drop deeper and hold up the ball, and bring others into play. However, what I saw was someone who too often couldn't get to the pace of the game and threw himself to the deck too often.

His performances have disappointed me, as I really thought he might do okay. However, hands up, the reality is that he is not good enough to make any real impact as a lone striker in the formation that we are playing. The scary thing is however - Who Is ??

Would it be fair to just play Rhodes in Gib games? He knows where goal is but not so good as lone striker/target man. Plays alongside the boy Gestede at Blackburn.

I like Fletcher a lot but agree with earlier posts on this forum that I want to see him pit his laces through a few more. It would be Rhodes and Fletcher v Gib for me and I can see Colin Stein's name being replaced by a new one as last Scottish striker to score senior hat trick.

Steve Fletcher is first pick for us up front - no two ways about it. Watch how we lodt our way when he went off V Ireland of his importance to us and how nothing stuck up front without him being there. So if he is injured who are the options?

Chris Martin has been given ample opportunity and hopefully the fact he was hooked at half-time displays that Strachan had seen enough and will look elsewhere in the future. Nothing against him personally but he lacks mobility and pace and his lay offs aren't great. Time to look elsewhere.

Stevie May looked more lively and much more pacier up front and was making some good runs and would like to see more of him certainly over Martin anyway.

Johnny Russell impressed me when he came on with pace and ability to take players on but realise he is not a bone fide striker. Still would definitely like to see more of him now.

Jordan Rhodes - well I am not convinced he is the answer and he is now not in great form. Maybe give him another chance in a friendly but for some reason Strachan really seems to want to avoid him like the plague.

Tony Watt - I don't know enough about him to be honest. A lot of people here seem to rate him. How is he doing this season? Many games? Many goals? Perhaps worth a look.

Tony Watt - I don't know enough about him to be honest. A lot of people here seem to rate him. How is he doing this season? Many games? Many goals? Perhaps worth a look.

I've been keeping my eye on him. He's scored 2 or 3 but I've not seen any games yet so I don't know about his overall performance.

He's had a couple of small injuries but, when he's fit, he almost always gets brought on as a sub and starts the odd game.

The most notable thing is that this is a team that nearly qualified for the CL and he can't be acting up in training as much as he used to as he seems to be involved in most games.

He's on a 5 year contract and it's a 31 year old that is keeping him out the team. So it's inevitable he'll get a lot more game time either this year or next.

Based on the games I saw him in for Lierse and Celtic, he has the potential to go to the very top. But we'll see

I've been keeping my eye on him. He's scored 2 or 3 but I've not seen any games yet so I don't know about his overall performance.

He's had a couple of small injuries but, when he's fit, he almost always gets brought on as a sub and starts the odd game.

The most notable thing is that this is a team that nearly qualified for the CL and he can't be acting up in training as much as he used to as he seems to be involved in most games.

He's on a 5 year contract and it's a 31 year old that is keeping him out the team. So it's inevitable he'll get a lot more game time either this year or next.

Based on the games I saw him in for Lierse and Celtic, he has the potential to go to the very top. But we'll see

So has he played in any of their Europa League matches?

So has he played in any of their Europa League matches?

Off the bench, yes.

Bear in mind, most teams that are playing European football and sign a 20 year old striker wouldn't put them straight into the 1st team.

I did see that he scored a 20+ yard screamer as his first goal for them.

I know YouTube isn't a great reflection of actual ability but it's worth having a look just to give you an idea of the types of goals he scores

Edited by Tartan blood

Off the bench, yes.

Bear in mind, most teams that are playing European football and sign a 20 year old striker wouldn't put them straight into the 1st team.

I did see that he scored a 20+ yard screamer as his first goal for them.

I know YouTube isn't a great reflection of actual ability but it's worth having a look just to give you an idea of the types of goals he scores

Fingers crossed he can make it. We need options up front.

We need to try Martin, Russell and May in some fixtures ASAP as Fletch doesn't seem to score the goals we need

Agreed Fletcher has not scored the goals but there is far more to his game than that as was clearly evident V Ireland as showed after he went off and by how much he was missed last night.

As for Martin he has had his chances and has not taken them and is still to show me he has what he takes. Stevie May and Johnny Russell did more in their brief appearance than Martin has done in about four appearances.

Mc Cormack scored more than Rhodes last year and he is still the most expensive Scottish player ever.. He is better all rounder than Rhodes and a better scorer than Fletcher.. he should start against Gib methinx.

may and Russell are good prospects, use as subs at the mo till they get more experience..

By the time Gibraltar comes round, it'll be clear which of our many options are having a good season.

Martin has the most goals, at the moment, but he is clearly at his level in the championship.

You never know, McCormack, May, Griffiths, Watt etc, might have forced themselves into contention for a starting spot. 4 months of football is a long time for things to change.

By the time Gibraltar comes round, it'll be clear which of our many options are having a good season.

Martin has the most goals, at the moment, but he is clearly at his level in the championship.

You never know, McCormack, May, Griffiths, Watt etc, might have forced themselves into contention for a starting spot. 4 months of football is a long time for things to change.

Well we can only really judge on Scotland form. Martin has had a few chances and has failed to light my fire in any of the games. May looked pretty lively and had pace and was making good runs looking for through balls so would say he merits a longer chance. Griffiths has had one or two chances and has failed to shine so would prefer to look at someone else first. McCormack did well in some games for us and less so in others but perhaps worth another look if he can rediscover form at club level. Watt is a bit of a mystery man to me so cannot say for sure on his credentials. Rhodes is out of form at mo and it would seem for some reason that Strachan doesn't see the need to call him up.

Well we can only really judge on Scotland form. Martin has had a few chances and has failed to light my fire in any of the games. May looked pretty lively and had pace and was making good runs looking for through balls so would say he merits a longer chance. Griffiths has had one or two chances and has failed to shine so would prefer to look at someone else first. McCormack did well in some games for us and less so in others but perhaps worth another look if he can rediscover form at club level. Watt is a bit of a mystery man to me so cannot say for sure on his credentials. Rhodes is out of form at mo and it would seem for some reason that Strachan doesn't see the need to call him up.

I agree with his judgement on Rhodes. He didn't impress me when playing for Scotland.

I completely disgree with his view on Martin. He referenced Derby's 5-0 win last weekend in which he didn't score (Russell scored 2). Strachan intimated that Martin was involved in everything, which was utterly false. As Derby's main striker, when they broke up the field at pace, if he wasn't already up there, he didn't make any attempt to get involved.

It's amazing how unimpressed I was compared to Strachan's view. (I'm not convinced he watched that game) Sometimes managers just have bizarre favourites. It's frustrating for fans of all teams