Biggest Game In Strachan's Reign - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Biggest Game In Strachan's Reign

Robroysboy

The feel good factor is well and truly back but every game is a big game in such a tight group. I saw on another thread that by March the top 4 teams could all have 10 points. The 2nd half of the campaign will be absolutely massive with a trick double header in September with Georgia away then Germany home. If we do well in them though the Poland game in October could be our most important game in recent history.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it now appears that Poland will storm through the group barring major disasters

They've still to go to Ireland, Scotland and Germany. Plus we're currently ahead of them on head to head.

Appreciate they look impressive going forward but I think it's a bit early to say they'll storm the group...

They've still to go to Ireland, Scotland and Germany. Plus we're currently ahead of them on head to head.

Appreciate they look impressive going forward but I think it's a bit early to say they'll storm the group...

Agreed. The flukey Germany result aside, Poland have done nothing more than expected. In fact, they expected to beat us.

Poland hammering Georgia means nothing, especially since their manager planned on quitting before the game. 1-0 flattered Georgia, when we beat them. It could have easily been 4-0.

Germany even admitted that we played better than Poland and the scorelines didn't reflect either game.

That 2-2 draw is going to be pivotal! I would argue that was Strachan's biggest game.

Think game in Dublin could/will be bigger and more important.

Way fixtures in March work, will either be 4 teams on 10 points, or starting to put some space between us and Ireland.

Avoid defeat in Dublin and 3rd place is ours, and if we can pick up something against Germany, then chances of making 2nd place have improved.

Regarding our results, we are in the position after 4 games I expected us to be in, it's just Ireland and Poland getting something off Germany that has made things a little bit more complex.

Ireland have to prove they can get results at home

Their style of play has suited them in away games but it will be much different at home against Poland and Germany where they have to take the game to the opposition a bit more

It may not be an advantage as O'Neill suggests and when he inferred that im not sure he believed it

"Poland hammering Georgia means nothing"

yep :)

go there and get such result

get ANY win in Tbilisi and we can come back to this quoted statement.

You must see that you played them at the best possible time? Their setup is in disarray. We'll be disadvantaged by coming up against a, potentially, rejuvenated Georgia. But saying that, we will beat them away. I am certain. Yes, we only beat them 1-0, but it was 1-0 going on 4-0.

Do you not feel like a score draw at home almost completely undid your victory against Germany? 3 unexpected points gained followed by 2 unexpected points dropped.

Don't be surprised if we are neck and neck near the end. I look forward to the home match.

Poland have Ireland, Germany and us away. They'll win or draw in Dublin, lose in Germany so what we do v them at home could be massive. Imagine we were going to Gibraltar one point behind Poland who's last game was Ireland who were 1 point behind us.... A wee draw there and party time in Portugal haha!!

Poland have Ireland, Germany and us away. They'll win or draw in Dublin, lose in Germany so what we do v them at home could be massive. Imagine we were going to Gibraltar one point behind Poland who's last game was Ireland who were 1 point behind us.... A wee draw there and party time in Portugal haha!!

Wouldn't really matter if Ireland were 1 point behind us at that point. If the beat Poland, they still couldn't finish above us.

You must see that you played them at the best possible time? Their setup is in disarray. We'll be disadvantaged by coming up against a, potentially, rejuvenated Georgia. But saying that, we will beat them away. I am certain. Yes, we only beat them 1-0, but it was 1-0 going on 4-0.

Do you not feel like a score draw at home almost completely undid your victory against Germany? 3 unexpected points gained followed by 2 unexpected points dropped.

You played Germany at the best possible time but didn`t even draw.

If you feel so confident about Georgia you might get suprised. Very difficult team to break with few technically good players up front.

And no, i don`t feel Scotland draw "undid" our victory vs Germany. "3 unexpected points gained followed by 2 unexpected points dropped" as you said is still one point more gained than we actually predicted :)

You played Germany at the best possible time but didn`t even draw.

If you feel so confident about Georgia you might get suprised. Very difficult team to break with few technically good players up front.

And no, i don`t feel Scotland draw "undid" our victory vs Germany. "3 unexpected points gained followed by 2 unexpected points dropped" as you said is still one point more gained than we actually predicted :)

I won't play down your results so far but equally I won't be in panic-mode when you come to Hampden. In recent years your qualifying record has been even worse than ours and that is saying something. Sure, this may be your rebirth who knows but until we see you complete the task in hand then forgive me if I don't see you as the real deal just yet. Besides even in our dark times in recent years we have still been able to beat teams of higher calibre than yourselves such as Croatia, France, Ukraine, Germany and Netherlands so we have good reason to hold out more than a bit of hope of turning you over at Hampden.