Billy Stark Steps Down - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Billy Stark Steps Down

Gary Stirling

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stark was clearly a terrible manager, in many aspects. Unable to motivate and tactically unaware. He is not cut out for international football.

His "positive" results were mainly from player power I.e Gauld, Watt, Forrest, Rhodes etc utilising their talent.

But, above all, his worst flaw was definitely squad selection. All through the age groups we have been making steady progress, bar the u21s. And much of that is to do with his truly bizarre selections.

Recently, Watt was playing (and scoring) at a very good level - Ignored.

Continually choosing Celtic youths who haven't even been on the bench for Celtic. And a number of random players from Hearts and Hibs who weren't even the best youths in their team.

He was choosing 17 and 18 year olds that hadn't even properly broke through.

I could go on.

I hope John Collins is tempted to leave Celtic and take over.

I am not saying Stark has done a wonderful job but I think he gets a bit of a hard time on here.

I think people often forget only 7 teams (plus the hosts) in Europe actually qualify for the UEFA u21 championship finals.

In 2010 we won our group with 5 wins, 2 draws and a defeat. We then lost the play offs to Iceland. - Good campaign.

In 2013 we came 2nd to the Dutch with 3 wins (inc an away win v the Netherlands), 4 draws and 1 defeat. We missed out on the play offs as were not in the top 4 runners up - Decent campaign but too many draws.

In 2015 we came 3rd (should have been 4th if it was not for Georgia getting points deducted) with 3 wins, 2 draws and 3 defeats. Certainly a disappointing campaign.

So overall I think he done reasonably well. It is probably the right time to move on but I don’t think it has been a disaster how some people have made out.

If you look at that record it is not heading in the direction anyone wants. Since 2010 we have had worse and worse campaigns results and performance-wise. Time to go.

Stark was clearly a terrible manager, in many aspects. Unable to motivate and tactically unaware. He is not cut out for international football.

His "positive" results were mainly from player power I.e Gauld, Watt, Forrest, Rhodes etc utilising their talent.

But, above all, his worst flaw was definitely squad selection. All through the age groups we have been making steady progress, bar the u21s. And much of that is to do with his truly bizarre selections.

Recently, Watt was playing (and scoring) at a very good level - Ignored.

Continually choosing Celtic youths who haven't even been on the bench for Celtic. And a number of random players from Hearts and Hibs who weren't even the best youths in their team.

He was choosing 17 and 18 year olds that hadn't even properly broke through.

I could go on.

I hope John Collins is tempted to leave Celtic and take over.

Out of interest what hearts players are you talking about?

What about John Hughes guys (not that I want him to leave yet mind you)?

He did good job with a Young Falkirk team and is doing a good job with us just now and has unearthed a talent in Ryan Christie PLUS, he likes passing/attacking football.

Yes, he didn't do great at Hartlepool but tbh, his sacking was unfair there as apparently, they were nearly already relegated by time he was appointed. And his record at Hibs was good in his first year as, I think they reached Europe but 2nd year terrible but did he get enough time to turn things around? My opinion would be NO!

So, his time at Falkirk and his current job prove that he ISN'T a bad manager, in fact, a top English club likely to poach him at some point :-(.

Anyway, who are all in contention or likely to be in contention?

He did good job with a Young Falkirk team and is doing a good job with us just now and has unearthed a talent in Ryan Christie PLUS, he likes passing/attacking football.

Yes, he didn't do great at Hartlepool but tbh, his sacking was unfair there as apparently, they were nearly already relegated by time he was appointed. And his record at Hibs was good in his first year as, I think they reached Europe but 2nd year terrible but did he get enough time to turn things around? My opinion would be NO!

So, his time at Falkirk and his current job prove that he ISN'T a bad manager, in fact, a top English club likely to poach him at some point :-(.

Anyway, who are all in contention or likely to be in contention?

Hughes taking the role as part time would be a great shout.

Out of interest what hearts players are you talking about?

The 17 year old was McGhee, who wasn't playing regularly at the time of his callups. A lot of potential, but he should have been in the u19s.

Walker and Holt were both ignored, even on form and playing every week.

Paterson continually picked and played out of position.

That's just off the top of my head. There was definitely other examples of bewildering choices relating to Hearts alone.

Point is; Hearts and Hibs both have a lot of very good young players breaking through and Stark seemed incapable of picking the right ones.

The 17 year old was McGhee, who wasn't playing regularly at the time of his callups. A lot of potential, but he should have been in the u19s.

Walker and Holt were both ignored, even on form and playing every week.

Paterson continually picked and played out of position.

That's just off the top of my head. There was definitely other examples of bewildering choices relating to Hearts alone.

Point is; Hearts and Hibs both have a lot of very good young players breaking through and Stark seemed incapable of picking the right ones.

Fair enough,

yeah McGhee was in and out of the side as i think Locke and now Neilson were not trying to rush him, he is definitely the best of the youngsters at Hearts and i have high hopes for him. yeah he probably should have been in the 19's

I am still not convinced what Patersons best position is, at the time i think he was actually playing up front for Hearts when he was playing the same position for Scotland.

there were a few baffling ones like calling up McHattie and Smith

He did good job with a Young Falkirk team and is doing a good job with us just now and has unearthed a talent in Ryan Christie

I don't think he can really take the credit for Christie, he's been coming up through the ranks and just happened to be at the age for first team when Yogi arrived. To claim he "unearthed" him is wrong.

John Hughes was unfairly sacked at Hartlepool. They were pretty much down by the time he took over and he almost saved them. Got a couple of Hartlepool supporting mates and they said they thought he should have stayed. Didn't get much more out of them as they said they had to go as there were rumours of a Frenchman on the beach.

U21 squad is to be named at 2pm this afternoon.

Makes Starks departure seem somewhat more interesting, as no doubt this will be his squad and he would have been preparing for the up coming friendly, only to walk away the eve of naming his squad.... Motherwell job looks more and more likely.

Can't wait to see the next under 21 squad. Stark was an awful under 21 manager and literally anyone is an improvement.

McAllister, Sbragia, Booth etc are good shouts but honestly any other person who isn't completely mental can pick a better squad without Celtic reserves who are yet to play a senior SPL game and won't have it in for top talents like Tony Watt who should always be included

Can't wait to see the next under 21 squad. Stark was an awful under 21 manager and literally anyone is an improvement.

McAllister, Sbragia, Booth etc are good shouts but honestly any other person who isn't completely mental can pick a better squad without Celtic reserves who are yet to play a senior SPL game and won't have it in for top talents like Tony Watt who should always be included

Is Scot Booth in charge of one of the younger squads?

Tony Watt is too old for the next round of qualifiers.